Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Funny, as I was reading this thread, my little girl came in and crawled under the desk to rest her head on my feet.

Some pics of my Zona:

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains
    Has your dog ever asked you for your car keys?
    Once. That was a weird day all around.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 06-11-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas
    Read Marley and Me, and you'll understand that dogs are never "just dogs". Great book... make sure you're reading it when your pups are laying in bed next to you and it gets even better.

Bought this book today and can't wait to read it!

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Having finished "Marley," I have to admit the last few chapters were pretty tough. A brilliant piece of writing, though. Thanks Lloyd.

Bumping this thread TTT for my friend Warren's 14 yo Golden; Tioga, who will be crossing the bridge tomorrow morning.

Not a problem BSS. Check out the website too, its got some tearjerking stories as well. I think I let our labs sleep on the bed for a couple days after I read that one.

Great thread. The world would be a poorer place without dogs. We have a border collie who would rule the planet if he had opposable thumbs. Best ski buddy I've ever had.
    We should restore the practice of dueling.It might improve manners around here. -Edward Abbey

We know a great deal,but not very much.-Jim Harrison

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Bump for Tasker.

Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and amazing how they spend most of it just waiting for us to come home to them each day. Sometimes these things are just too sorrowful and boggling to try and comprehend, but we drive on nonetheless. Lloyd; I know you'll get through this. You're in my prayers.

++

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    This was in my therapy dog newsletter, thought I'd share

When I got my New Dog
    I asked for strength that I might rear him/her perfectly;
    I was given weakness that I might feed him/her more treats.
    I asked for good health that I might rest easy;
    I was given a "special needs" dog that I might know nurturing.
    I asked for an obedient dog that I might feel proud;
    I was given stubborness that I might feel humble.
    I asked for compliance that i might feel masterful;
    I was given a clown that I might laugh.
    I asked for a companion that I might not feel lonely;
    I was given a best friend that I would feel loved.
    I got nothing I asked for,
    But everything that I needed
    - Author Unknown
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL
    Bump for Tasker.

Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and amazing how they spend most of it just waiting for us to come home to them each day. Sometimes these things are just too sorrowful and boggling to try and comprehend, but we drive on nonetheless. Lloyd; I know you'll get through this. You're in my prayers.

++
    Thanks a ton BSS. I just came across this, more than a week later. Its still SO tough not having him around, and the littlest things make me break down. This morning was the first time we had to leave our other dog, Yoshi, alone in the backyard while we're at work... it was so hard seeing him back there by himself. We miss you so much, Tasker.

My "just a dog" is behind our best financial decisions

Every once in a while my wife, who is not a "dog person" will get frustrated with the extra steps it takes to care for my girl (a 9 year-old yellow lab named "Havoc"). This usually comes up as we're packing up the car with the kids and the dog to go on a long trip. All I have to do is counter with this info;
    • Without "just a dog" we wouldn't have bought our first house. After all, I couldn't get "just a dog" without a yard, a point that was made constantly when we called our first place the $185K doghouse.
    • "just a dog" gets 2 walks a day around our neighborhood. Add it up, that's no small feat. "just a dog" has gone on over 6900 walks and counting since we got her.
    • During those many walks, "just a dog" established quite a friendship with "just a neighbor" and his "just a dog". When the house next door to his on a lot twice the size as ours went on the market, "just a neighbor" went out of his way to convince us to sell house #1 and buy house #2. Net profit on house #1 - a little over $200k (thank you very much "just a dog"!).

LSS - we have since torn down and added onto house #2, a place that is now worth just shy of $1mil. There's no way we could have just bought a place like that and I'm certain we wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for "just a dog". All the while "just a dog" has put up with 2 cats, has endured the addition of 2 kids, lived in a garage for a year, and has just generally put up with everything life has had to offer. All "just a dog" has ever wanted is the occasional stroll around the block - which she continues to get twice a day, every day. I'd love to meet a financial consultant that could do as well as "just a dog" has done for us that will work for only the occasional stroll around the block.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    I AM YOUR DOG

-Author Unknown

I am your dog, and I have a little something I would like to whisper in your ear.

I know that you humans lead busy lives. Some have to work. Some have children to raise. It always seems like you are running here and there, often much too fast, often never noticing the truly grand things in life.

Look down at me now, while you sit there at your computer. See, the way my dark brown eyes look at yours? They are slightly cloudy now. That comes with age. The gray hairs are beginning to ring my soft muzzle.

You smile at me; I see love in your eyes. What do you see in mine? Do you see a spirit? A soul inside - who loves you as no other could in the world? A spirit that would forgive all trespasses of prior wrongdoing for just a simple moment of your time?

That is all I ask. To slow down, if even for a few minutes to be with me.

So many times, you have been saddened by the words you read on that screen, of others of my kind passing. Sometimes we die young and oh so quickly. Sometimes so suddenly it wrenches your heart out of your throat.

Sometimes we age so slowly before your eyes that you may not even seem to know until the very end, when we look at you with grizzled muzzles and cataract clouded eyes. Still the love is always there, even when we must take that long sleep, to run free in a distant land.

I may not be here next week. Someday you will shed the water from your
    eyes that humans have when deep grief fills their souls, and you will be angry at yourself that you did not have just one more day with me. Because I love you so, your sorrow touches my spirit and grieves me. We have NOW, together.

So come, sit down here next to me on the floor, and look deep into my eyes.
    What do you see? If you look hard and deep enough we will talk, you and I,
    heart to heart. Come to me not as "alpha" or as "trainer" or even "mom or dad." Come to me as a living soul and stroke my fur and let us look deep into anothers eyes and talk.

I may tell you something about the fun of chasing a tennis ball, or I may tell you something profound about myself or even life in general. You decided to have me in your life because you wanted a soul to share such things with.
    Someone very different from you - and here I am.

I am a dog, but I am alive. I feel emotion, I feel physical senses, and I can revel in the differences of our spirits and souls. I do not think of you as a "dog on two feet" - I know what you are. You are human, in all of your
    quirkiness, and I love you still.

Now, come sit with me on the floor. Enter my world, and let time slow down
    if only for 5 minutes. Look deep into my eyes, and whisper to my ears. Speak with your heart, with your joy and I will know your true self. We may not have tomorrow, and life is oh so very short.

--Love,

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Bump for Coop
    Bless you Pope
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I just try and make my dog as happy as he makes my family and others . I love it when my dog smiles!!

Thanks SFB. Rest in peace, Cooper.

R.I.P Cooper

Norm's saving a spot for you in tennis ball paradise.

Bump... A friend of mine had to put one of her dogs down this weekend. Sudden and aggressive cancer...very sad.

RIP. I wish I had as much faith in humanity as I do in my dog.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I recently discovered that Irie likes to be sucked off.....

which was very funny cause he's usually a very serious fella
    Last edited by AsheanMT; 02-19-2007 at 08:23 AM.

haha, Zona HATES the vaccum. She'll hide around corners and try to attack it, so one day, just to tease her I tried to get her with the tools. She jumped 12 feet acrossed the room!

you know, its funny, i never thought id be saying this since i got attacked when i was little and have been scared of dogs for years. then i started dating this girl who had the awesomest dog ive ever met. the girl and i have broken up years ago, but i still miss that dog. emily and i had some good times together.

i gotta find a picture of her...

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Sadly, another bump for my friend Susan's 9 y.o. golden, Sam. Cancer got the best of him and he crossed the bridge this morning.

Bless up. +++

My work mate just got a call from her mum who found her dog dead at home - no idea what happened. I have never seen someone so distraught. I thought something must have happened to her mum. I've never had a dog, but from her reaction it is definitely the same as losing a close family member. I hope to know the love and companionship of a dog one day. Anyway.. I just wanted to send some positive vibes out to her. ++++

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL View Post
    Sadly, another bump for my friend Susan's 9 y.o. golden, Sam. Cancer got the best of him and he crossed the bridge this morning.

Bless up. +++
    Damn sad news. My golden sends +++++++++vibes+++++++++++
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

my maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL View Post

Bless up. +++
    Sam, look for Coop! He's the new guy!

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Bump cause I needed some dog stoke today.

Every time I have to go to the vet, I get that little lump in my throat. No matter how small - you know the one. It's not that the "end is near" or anything, it's just the thought.