Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Great thread... and totally agree with you!

Same goes for my cat-friends. I know a lot of you hate cats. And whatever, you don't have to like them. But my feline friends are about the only living things that really understand me. They know when to leave me alone, yet they are always there for me. They make me laugh when I need it. And they are just beautiful to watch.

Generally speaking, animals are very cool!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Great, great thread.

I love my dog more than I thought was possible. And to whoever dumped her at the shelter - thank you. Your loss was my gain. Too bad you'll never know what an absolutely amazing and beautiful dog she has become. So much so that people ask me if they can dogsit for her, and not the other way around.

Does anyone else find themselves saying things like, "I just want to eat them up!" Sometimes I feel like Sophie probably doesn't want me smothering and squishing her as much as I do, but she puts up with it, like an embarassed teenager whose mother hugs him in public.

And yes, when they lay their head on the pillow with that little question, "can I?" the answer is always yes - jump on up and snuggle!
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

WSD, I agree wholeheartedly! Didn't think I'd love our dog as much as I do, but now I can't imagine life without him, he's practically our kid, and pampered / spoiled as such!

Our dogger was dumped in a kill shelter, but it was DEFINATELY good for us! He's such a cool dog, people immediately love him and want to play / hug / smother / pet / murmur over / shake hands with him, grin. I look at him and can't imagine what led someone to just abandon him like that, horrible. Their loss for sure.

He's such a big baby and just loves attention - you should see this 55 lb dog sitting in Ski Monkeys LAP, all sprawled out being petted on, it's the funniest thing.

And no, I don't think he minds the smothering (your dog probably doesn't mind either) - in fact, when he doesn't get enough smothering / eating up / squishing, he comes and smothers US looking for love. Such a snuggle baby.
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember
    My last dog, Zeke was a lab/newfie mix, 135 lbs. of pure love and joy. I haven't had a dog since. It hurt so bad when I had to put him down that I decided I wouldn't have another dog until I was old enough that he/she would likely outlive me. They're like your own kids only better behaved and more loving. It's been almost 20 years now and I still think about him every day.
    The pain of their passing is never so great as the joy they brought you during life.

That's the whole point.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

OK!! This thread is worthless without pics. I can't seem to find the old dog thread - can someone bump it for me? The one with pictures of Dude?

I love dogs!!
    Last edited by divegirl; 05-10-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Dude is my best friend--he goes everywhere with me, does everything I do--loves to do the same things...he is only 2-1/2 yrs old and I have a hard time remembering how things were before he came into my life.

Divegirl--cool that you loved Dude so much...but he is such a flirt with the ladies. My Website below has other pictures of Dude:
    http://www.fuhsd.net/schools/ivy/tea...smith/dude.htm

link to old doggie stoke thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t=51662&page=2

Dude after a long bc trip up and down Mt. Jepson

On top Mt. Islip

Dude outside my tent San Gregornio wilderness:

Dude passed out cold on my Splitboard

Dude in Utah:

Dude in Long Valley

Sad thing (for everyone else here) is I could go on and on with pictures of my pup, 'til I bored the shit outta everyone. I feel like a pathetic proud papa showing off pictures of his kid...

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

That dog should be a fawkin' model!

Nice photos.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

The funny thing about Goldens is that sometimes they look so serious, like Dude in some of those pics. But if you own one, you know that unbridled goofyness can erupt at any moment.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    The funny thing about Goldens is that sometimes they look so serious, like Dude in some of those pics. But if you own one, you know that unbridled goofyness can erupt at any moment.
    ...and usually does. Dude can be one goofy mofo. (but so can his dorky owner)

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Something i read at my grand mothers one day. can never make a read through it with out tearing up. seems to about sum it up.

The last will and testament of an extremely distinguished dog

I, SILVERDENE EMBLEM O'NEILL (familiarly known to my family, friends, and acquaintances as Blemie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.
    I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me most, to Freeman who has been so good to me, to Cyn and Roy and Willie and Naomi and -- But if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely lovable dog.

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those of my fellow Dalmatians who are devout Mohammedans, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris, beautifully spotted; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master and Mistress.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one." Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good (and one cat, the black one I have permitted to share the living room rug during the evenings, whose affection I have tolerated in a kindly spirit, and in rare sentimental moods, even reciprocated a trifle). Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Dalmatians, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Dalmatian as my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To him I bequeath my collar and leash and my overcoat and raincoat, made to order in 1929 at Hermes in Paris. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, walking around the Place Vendôme, or later along Park Avenue, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog. Here on the ranch, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years. And for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
    Last edited by abutterer; 05-10-2006 at 03:11 PM.

D-

I'm absolutely DYING from the cuteness that has been exposed to me!!
    Dude is the raddest and cutest dog ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    The pain of their passing is never so great as the joy they brought you during life.

That's the whole point.
    Granted. There's a lot more to not having a dog now. Wifely allergies, lifestyle changes, etc. It wouldn't be fair to the dog if we had one now. Won't bore anyone with any details. Still, it about killed me when Zeke went down.

BTW, Dude is killer! What a great looking pooch!

My yellow, Grunt, who passed in January. I still miss him every day. He was so big and happy and slobbery.

He was such a typical Lab, always had to have something in his mouth. This was only a couple weeks before he died- walking in the woods he found half a pelvis and insisted on carrying it the entire time, even though he had a hard time breathing with it in his mouth. Silly dog.

Jack, 10 and Grunt, 13

Not a dog, but he thinks he is:

A nice way to view the world

I love this horse... luckily they live until ~35. And I got him when he was 2, so we'll have a long happy life together.

My dog Codi was hit by a car 3 months ago. I had her for over 9 years, but I expected to be with her for 9 more. She was the most amazing being ever, loved by everyone who knew her. Just a dog? Whatever, there isn't any amount of money I wouldn't spend to have her back here with me.

This was my tribute to her: http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19029
    Last edited by Danno; 05-12-2006 at 08:35 AM.

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    I thought it would be appropriate to add these short passages to this thread. [Courtesy of Lemon Boy, of course.] Thanks LB.

Dog's PLEA

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend , for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me . Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows , your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn . Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall on my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal no longer accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth . Keep my pan filled with fresh water , for I can not tell you when I suffer thirst .Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding , to walk by your side , and stand ready , willing and able to protect you with my life , should your life be in danger .

And , my friend , when I am very old , and I no longer enjoy good health , hearing and sight , do not make heroic efforts to keep me going ....please see that my trusting life is taken gently . I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your loving hands .

-Anonymous-

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Rainbow Bridge
    NAHRA News Spring 2000

There is a bridge connecting heaven and earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day long with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.
    Author unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I Stood Beside Your Bed Last Night”
    I stood beside your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
    I could see that you where crying, you found it hard to sleep
    I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
    “It’s me, I haven’t left you, I’m well. I’m fine, I’m here.”
    I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour your tea,
    You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
    I was with you at the shops today. Your arms were getting sore.
    I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today. You tend it with such care.
    I want to reassure you, that I’m not lying there.
    I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
    I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said, “It’s me.”
    You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
    I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
    It’s possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
    To say to you with certainty, “I never went away.”

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew.
    In the stillness of that evening, I was close to you.
    The day is over, I smile and watch you yawning.
    And say “goodnight, God bless, “I’ll see you in the morning.”
    And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
    I’ll rush across to greet you and we’ll stand, side by side.
    I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
    Be patient, live your journey out, then come home to be with me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked. Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book. "Excuse me!" he called to the man. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog. "There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree. "What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said
    that was Heaven, too." "Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates?

Nope. That's Hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."
    Last edited by BLOODSWEATSTEEL; 05-27-2006 at 12:48 PM.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Bumping this to the top for Cono Este. ~ My deepest sympathies for your loss, bro.

Thnaks BloodSweat..

RIP Norman. 15yrs old, died peacefully in his home with his friends and family. freshmen year of college, 3 countries, marriage, fatherhood and many good times spent with him.

I will miss you Norm.
    Last edited by Cono Este; 01-11-2007 at 05:35 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    By the edge of a wood, at the foot of a hill,
    is a lush green meadow where time stands still.
    Where friends of man and woman do run,
    when their time on earth is over and done.

For there, between this world and the next,
    is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
    On this golden land, they wait and they play,
    till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
    for they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
    Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
    their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
    until one day they start, and sniff the air.
    All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
    then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just that instant, their eyes have met;
    togather again, both person and pet.
    So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
    the time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
    has turned into joy once more in each heart.
    They embrace with love that will last forever,
    and then, side - by - side
    they cross over... togather.

At Rainbow Bridge

Inpired by a Norse legend

May your guy frolick in peace until this time

"I wanted to build a chapel, a place that celebrated the spiritual bond we have with our dogs, a place that would be open to all dogs and people of any faith or belief system" - artist, Steven Hunek
    Feel free to send photos and messages to the following address

Dog Chapel
    1356 Spaulding Road
    St. Johnsbury, VT. 05819
    or E-mail at love@dogchapel.com
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

For a friend

One of my good friends dog passed away on friday after being hit by a car.

He is a great dog. He would run with us on are XC rides and follow us on the stunts. I was always amazed that he could keep up or 10 or 12 miles at 16mph.

POS 100 Race

Tending Bar at a 24hr Race.

RIP Cooper.
    Last edited by Andy_B; 06-01-2006 at 01:35 PM.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

NOrm!!!!!!!

Norm! scoping out Mavericks.

I miss you!
    Last edited by Cono Este; 01-11-2007 at 05:37 PM.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_B
    Tending Bar at a 24hr Race.
    A picture worth a thousand words?

That's my kinda dog!!!

Dogs fucking rule. That is all.

More Golden stoke

My boy Max when he was just a little ankle biter

now he's all grown up

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

good thread. Here is my little girl, Shelby.

dry

wet