Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: LASIK

Is there any cut off age where u can't have it done anymore?
    my mom and dad were pushing 80 when they had it done

Quote Originally Posted by brown View Post
    Has anyone had Lasik done at the LasikPlus in Denver (Lakewood)? I noticed someone else recommended ICON in Denver. Just wanted some other opinions. Thanks!
    Dunno if it's still this way, but last I checked those folks wanted to charge for the initial consultation. If that wasn't absurd enough their price for the procedure I eventually got at icon was something like 70% higher. I'm certainly not advocating getting cut rate lasik but really there's no reason to pay those folks that much more for the same procedure using the same equipment and a similarly experienced surgeon.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by brown View Post
    Has anyone had Lasik done at the LasikPlus in Denver (Lakewood)? I noticed someone else recommended ICON in Denver. Just wanted some other opinions. Thanks!
    I had mine done here: http://www.hines-sight.com/ almost 10 years ago, and have no complaints. Wasn't the cheapest, wasn't the most expensive.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks for the responses. I just had a free consultation at Icon Lasik. Everything there seemed legit and they pointed me towards PRK ($1000/eye), since I have thin corneas and stronger prescription. I'm open to additional opinions. Google search for Lasik in Denver gives multiple results. The lens implant technology ($2900/eye) seems wild and almost kind of science fiction. But I know of people having cataract surgery and coming out with the implants, resulting in excellent vision. Gonna keep researching.

I had mine done at Icon this summer. Paid around $1800/ two eyes. Aside from occasional mild dryness and some night blurriness, very happy. Cant wait to ski without contacts. Just bought my wife this groupon thing from Icon for almost half the price: https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/4...b_share_468590

Kinda wish I would have waited for a deal like this, but truthfully even an extra 4-5 months of vision seems worth $900.

I decided to get the PRK procedure at Dishler Laser Institute in Denver on Nov. 16. It is now three weeks later and my vision is almost 100%. After three days of discomfort with light pain meds and lots of eye drops, I was comfortably getting around and could drive myself. The surgery was on Thursday and I drove myself back on Monday for the post-op exam, where I found out the healing process was on track and my vision was about 20/25. At three weeks now, my vision feels close to 20/20 or just as good as with previous glasses/contacts. Others have told me that after a full month, everything should be 100%.

Usually in the morning, my vision is sharp and my eyes are well rested/lubed. Over the course of the day, they get a little tired and dry; drops and eye-resting helps. Working on a computer or reading for the first two weeks was slightly out of focus, but definitely doable. Now it's no problem.

I've found that any tearing from skiing, cold air, humidity, etc. allows natural moisture and sharpens vision too. I'm really satisfied and would highly recommend to those who are considering. It ended up costing $3200 total for both eyes, under their fall special. If anyone is interested, feel free to hit me up for a referral to them. Pray for snow!!

The sunglasses thread in the padded room got me thinking... Best part of Lasik after ten years: SUNGLASSES! Back in the day Rx sunglasses were almost always large and heavy and made nearly exclusively of glass. Lightweight and visually correct lenses- wow- a life changer.

I got my Lasik in 2003. I'm super pleased and would it again in a minute. In just the last few months my reading vision has started to slip. The DR warned me I'd have to go to reading glasses at some point. In bright light I can read small print, but in low light I need reading glasses. Not so bad I guess. My distance vision is very sharp. Night vision doing great.

Do people get touch ups on Lasik? If I could get around reading glasses I'd get it done again.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

THREAD REVIVAL.

Just got zapped with LASIK SBK a few days ago, with London Eye Centre in Vancouver. If you know your LASIK history, then you know that it was in Vancouver that a few of the procedures were initially invented (at Pacific Laser). Cost was high, 3800 for the pair, but this includes all post-op check-ups *plus* a lifetime guarantee (no kidding) inclusive of all touch-ups or whatever new tech comes down the pipe... trusting, of course, that said company is still around 30 years from now. This is for SBK Wavefront... read-up on the offerings, I waited for this tech to hit as it produces a thinner flap that eventually adheres back onto the eyeball, and apparently has less issues with night vision.

As for my experience, the first hour after surgery was hell, I should've hit up more anesthetic drops before getting driven ~1 hour home in bright sunlight. Even with sunglasses + hat over my face, it was ugly searing pain. Once I got back home and dropped away on the anesthetics, it was good sailing, sat in a dark room listening to Ram Dass tell me about giving yogis LSD for a few hours.

24 hour checkup had me at 20/20 in one eye, 20/25 in the eye with astigmatism, and no significant pain. Day three and I don't have any dry eye issues or pain but my vision is shifting + blurred at distance, definitely still settling in... that said, it's better than it used to be, I can drive around town, but I wouldn't want to hit the highway. I'm also seeing pretty halos around lights, so we'll see how night vision sorts itself out. Will report back...
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

While we're at it...any suggestions for LASIK in SLC?

Bump from the depths. Due to some changes in policy, annual bonus time and tax refund time are going to hit very close together. Seems like everyone is happy 10 years later. Any horror stories out there? Recommendations for Sacramento area? Exciting new tech to burn holes in your eyes?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    While we're at it...any suggestions for LASIK in SLC?
    Dont know but Tiger Woods had his in PC somewhere.

If you are an active person, which i assume you are if you're on this forum, then look into getting PRK. It's a slightly different procedure than LASIK that results in the same outcome. At a high level, the PRK leaves no "flap" that could potentially come dislodged in a freak accident (dog paw to face, hard fall shredding, finger to the eye). The downside is PRK is slightly more painful and has a longer recovery time, but at the end of the day your eye heals over completely without any flap and one's vision is corrected to the same level LASIK would have. Military personnel are required to get PRK I believe.

Bumping this. I've been thinking about getting a consultation now that I have better eye insurance. I'm upper 20s and have had glasses for distance since 2nd grade. -7.00 contact rx. I work a lot outside (in addition to outdoor recreation) with fieldwork/research and am just about done with the glasses/contacts shuffle. I'm back in grad school too and looking at boards, computer screens, etc has also been really straining my eyes.

A few questions - how old were you when you had lasik/prk (I've read around mid 20s they start)? I've also read some mixed papers as of lately saying that the eye surgeries aren't quite as safe as they claim (since 'perfecting it' in the past 10 years). Are the potential drawbacks worth the risk if you need reading glasses, dry eyes, halos, etc?

Thanks! And any feedback for places to go in Portland/Corvallis/Eugene let me know!

Wow, a -7 contact rx???? And I thought I was blind at a -4.0 rx. That said, I had my eyes done about 20 years ago. When I had my eyes done, I was initially 20/20, but within a few months I had regressed to about 20/40. So they did it again and I requested they shoot for 20/15, so if my eyes regressed again I would end up 20/20. I am actually 20/30 now. Not perfect, but good enough. No halo's now, but there were some initially.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.