Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm a tele-r, I am always ahead of myself.

Originally posted by 2stix
    I have a technique I use on deep days that hasn't let me down yet.
    I have bought a roll of florescent marking tape (the kind with no adhesive) I roll out about 10-20ft of it, tie it onto a brake and stuff the rest up the cuff of my pants.
    When I bail, the tape leads me back to my skis every time!
    Works golden and is magget cheap!
    Hope you like the idea.
    That's the ticket!

But I haven't used them in many years. But I do have a technique for finding buried skis if I do lose them in the deep.

Pfffttt!
    Tucking your neon streamers into your pant legs is soooo 2003.
    Wake Up maggots, its 2004, let those streamers fly behind you.
    It's all the rage this year.

Originally posted by The AD
    OK, it took me about five minutes of thought to realize you are talking about toy carabiners.
    Thats about 4.5 too long, biners not beaners; its a boston thing, sorry thats my roots.

Originally posted by splat
    But I do have a technique for finding buried skis if I do lose them in the deep.
    Care to share? Sledbug on each ski (j/k)?

drC

Originally posted by Dr. Crash
    Sledbug on each ski?
    Ortovox had the ski maus for just that purpose. A transmitter on each ski, they transmitted on a sideband. They were like $99 a pair, and you needed the ski maus compatible beacon.

gaped out of a new 210 elan in my early bridger daze- searched long but left it in nw passage overnight- next day "rented" a metal detect from the patrol and went up with it in an instrument case thingy... clipped the suitcase handle to my pack for the traverse over- above bgully the case broke off from the handle and slid 50+ feet down into floof, after the retreival slog I had to carry it in my arms... once I got there it did finally work and I found that ski using it but that suct and I paid for my jongass throwin that shoe...
    like the cheap hiviz tape idea

Originally posted by cj001f
    Ortovox had the ski maus for just that purpose. A transmitter on each ski, they transmitted on a sideband. They were like $99 a pair, and you needed the ski maus compatible beacon.
    My bro bought me a pair of ski finders for Xmas a year or so back. I used Araldite to attach the mountings to the ski top sheet but even then big landings will bust the fixings loose. Nothing I tried would keep the fuggers attached to the surface of my Lawnchairs and I eventually gave up on 'em. They weigh quite a lot too with two AA batteries per unit but they are loud. It's far more fun to put them in a friend's pillow and trip the transmitter at random points during the night. Works through the wall in an adjoining condo unit...
    Last edited by bad_roo; 01-07-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Last ski day, I lost a XXX. I mean REALLY lost. It flew 100 feet and then slid for another hundred. It went down a rabbit hole into the root system of a huge pine. After digging for 15 minutes, we noticed the trail and followed it and found the ski. It was a 1 in a million find.

Man, I've had this conversation a dozen times over the past several ski days. Here's my idea for an invention:

at any home store you can buy "remote finders" which include a remote with a button and a receiver which emits a beeping sound when the button on the remote is pressed.

With some modifications, I think this would be a cheap and viable device for finding skis. You would superglue the "beeper" to your ski. The sound it emits would have to be LOUD, like fog horn loud, and that's a technical problem.

When your ski pops off, just press the button and follow the sound.

An actual transciever would cost too much, but a cheap radio frequency device would be inexpensive.

If someone steals my idea and make a million bucks, then fuck you.

Originally posted by Seldom Seen
    Pfffttt!
    Tucking your neon streamers into your pant legs is soooo 2003.
    Wake Up maggots, its 2004, let those streamers fly behind you.
    It's all the rage this year.
    No kidding. That's why I've only used streamers once. They would not stay tucked up in my pant legs no matter what I did and it was too much hassle messing with them constantly.

Thanks for the replies everyone?

Some great answers (sssDave) and funny ones from SteepnDeep & Indi. It’s obvious that Bandit XXX is trying to hide his true feelings of “corda phobia” with his sarcasm.

I lost my ski on Saturday in the Catherine’s area at Alta, for about 10 minutes. I was confident that I would find it, but it still brought back vivid images of my powder cords sitting inside my backpack in my vehicle.
    Another problem I have with the cords is when I remove my skis to hike. The quandary lies in the unraveling of the cords then, and the replacement of the cords on a steep chute or ridge.
    I think next dump I'm gonna strap em on and hope that I dont get hassled

Re: Powder cords, do you use them? Why not?

Originally posted by MacDaddy
    If you don’t wear them, why?
    Is it because you are too “core” and you never crash, and when(as if) you do crash, you don’t worry because your skis are set to at least 15 din?
    Yes...

Originally posted by MacDaddy
    Thanks for the replies everyone?

Another problem I have with the cords is when I remove my skis to hike. The quandary lies in the unraveling of the cords then, and the replacement of the cords on a steep chute or ridge.
    This is a problem. But if there was a mechanism remove and re-attach the chord to the binder (velcrow etc) you could leave the gay streamer stuffed up your gay legs. I will try this next time.

Originally posted by altagirl
    No kidding. That's why I've only used streamers once. They would not stay tucked up in my pant legs no matter what I did and it was too much hassle messing with them constantly.
    I know it might seem a little much, but if you take your ski pants to a seamstres (sp) they can sew a small "pocket" into the inside or outside cuff of your pant. Then you can put the "tape" into the pocket and it won't fall out all the time. Added bonus is it won't stick together or get balled up and can stay rolled up neatly until the needed deployment.
    The pocket should only cost a couple bucks. Even less if you can sew it yourself.
    You can add to that idea by putting one of those "beaners" on the end and a "cork" (or something light with good surface area) on the end to wrap the tape around. That way you could leave the tape in your pants and only click it onto your skis when the conditions permit.
    If your sking conditions where loosing a ski really means loosing a ski, might be a good investment.
    Damn come to think of it, I should make some of these and sell them on PM gear. Shouldn't cost more then a buck or two!
    Man, It was great...

Originally posted by descender
    This is a problem. But if there was a mechanism remove and re-attach the chord to the binder (velcrow etc) you could leave the gay streamer stuffed up your gay legs. I will try this next time.
    [Light slowly dawning] That is a good idea, I'll try that next time. [/Light slowly dawning]
    D'oh!!

what do Gay legs look like