Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Powder cords, do you use them? Why not?

After reading “Snowfire’s” post about her deep day at JH and almost loosing her ski. I wondered- as I often do. How many skiing Minions use powder cords on their boards on deep days?
    If you don’t wear them, why?
    Is it because you are too “core” and you never crash, and when(as if) you do crash, you don’t worry because your skis are set to at least 15 din?
    Or is it because you think only “gapers” use powder cords and you would rather risk digging through the snow looking for your ski for hours than looking like a “gaper” with cords showing in the lift line?
    Or is it cause you don’t own any,
    Or you hardly have to worry about a 12+” powder day where you ski?

I have a pair that I never use because they are such a pain in the ass, but I curse my self to high heaven for not using them when I yard sale and lose one of my skis for more than 10 minutes.

I wish there was a power cord that was practical and retracted when not in use and harmlessly, unrolled when a ski left your boot?
    How about a little beacon or transceiver, or beeper or something?
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 01-06-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Personally, I don't use them because it really sucks when your attached skis whip around and smack you in the head.

i never worry about them hitting my face because i have recently adopted a face first falling technique
    Okay, but my head is a full 3d version and I have to worry about the back and sides as well, not to mention neck/shoulders/etc.

I have a technique I use on deep days that hasn't let me down yet.
    I have bought a roll of florescent marking tape (the kind with no adhesive) I roll out about 10-20ft of it, tie it onto a brake and stuff the rest up the cuff of my pants.
    When I bail, the tape leads me back to my skis every time!
    Works golden and is magget cheap!
    Hope you like the idea.
    Man, It was great...

Originally posted by PlayHarder
    Personally, I don't use them because it really sucks when your attached skis whip around and smack you in the head.
    Don't attach them to you. Just to the skis.

drC

I bought some after nearly losing a XXX demo ski in Utah last year (it was a free demo, so there was no insurance, and I would have been on the hook for ~$200). I've only used them once since then. I'm not really sure why, but they make me feel like a gaper. I think it's mainly because I never see anyone else using them unless they're on 190 straight skis from 10 years ago. They are kind of a pain to stuff up your pants leg too, but I bet with some practice, I'd be quicker.

Originally posted by 2stix
    I have a technique I use on deep days that hasn't let me down yet.
    I have bought a roll of florescent marking tape (the kind with no adhesive) I roll out about 10-20ft of it, tie it onto a brake and stuff the rest up the cuff of my pants.
    When I bail, the tape leads me back to my skis every time!
    Works golden and is magget cheap!
    Hope you like the idea.
    ya, those are the kind of cords i use as well. the attach to the brake arm and i stuff the rest under my pant, so the deploy when i lose a ski.

i hate digging for my skis and don't set me din too high, so they have saved me many times.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Yeah, I was having a flashback to the short old school attach to the boot kind. I do use the method the 2stix suggested.

Originally posted by Dr. Crash

drC
    Forgive them for they are jongs.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

No, I play piano.
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

Don't use em'. Instead I have two stupid leashes that are about 6 inches long, max. If I don't use these, my skis will be not only under the snow near me, but under the snow 300 yards down the hill.

Behind that really nice building over there.
    yeah, I use em whenever I can.

http://www.airchecks.com/pt/images/pete2a.jpg

Oh, I thought you said "power chords"
    Last edited by ArmchairExtreme; 01-06-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Originally posted by ArmchairExtreme

Oh, I thought you said "power chords"

Never usewd them, but I will the next time I ski deep pow. After spending 20 minutes searching for a ski lasy year, I quickly understood the purpose of them.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

I've used various cords and flags for a couple decades when skiing fresh snow which every year to two prove their worth. Anyone who has ejected an expensive ski in a multi foot depth of fluff will sooner or later sober up to how insidiously skis can sometimes hide. Expensive and can really waste time when fun could be had. In any case situations where one ejects and cannot immediately see then find one's ski are an infrequent occurrance thus most advanced skiers don't use them and may wonder why bother. With the huge dumps at KW each year, I get lots of opportunities to use them especially since I am an avid storm skier. They certainly neither weigh much or take up much space in a pocket when not in use so my decision to carry them is a no-brainer.

Cords which connect from ski to leg or clothing and don't separate are non-functional for advanced skiing. For example when one releases from a ski in steeps, that ski is better not dragged along as tumbling could involve getting whacked by a sharp ski edge. Better the ski keep its distance. Those who use flags and simply let flags trail behind will sooner later find they occasionally get in the way of ones poles and ski edges especially in windy conditions. Thus they ought to be tucked say into a cuff.

For the last dozen years or so I've been using my own custom made flags because I think available commercial ski flags are too simply designed. One problem is getting a flag that was tucked into one's cuff to pull out to full length above the snow surface without tangling or being stuck together by ice or riming. A light object as a small diameter of flat cork put at the ends will tend to float the flag above the snow surface and can also be designed to be the most resistant part of the flag to get pull out of ones cuff thus allowing a flag to fully extend. Of course one can fold a flag in an orderly manner so it can extend without tangling which is why a flag is used versus a round cord.

Years ago I popped off a ski at Alpine Meadows in about 10 inches of fresh powder below the cornice at D6 and could not immediately see my flag. Everywhere on the moderately steep slope surface which was disturbed by my fall did not seem to have a ski underneath after the usual session of XY probing with my other ski. The very light new snow was atop a frozen layer of typical freeze melt cycle spring conditions snow which was frozen solid beneath. I looked way down the slope maybe 100 feet or so and saw my ski several feet up in the branches of a fir tree with brake out and flag hanging. Ejected ski had totally submarined a long ways which is something to be aware of when falling in light snow. -dave
    Last edited by SSSdave; 01-06-2004 at 08:12 PM.

A roll of yellow construction “Caution” tape & a few of those .85 cent toy beaners at the counter in your local home center. Cut to length, tie knot to toy beaner & clip to brake, stuff roll in gaiter, click to release for gondola or tram. Cheap, Strong, Visible, and Virtually Undetectable for the savvy cool.

Re: Powder cords, do you use them? Why not?

I curse my self to high heaven for not using them when I yard sale and lose one of my skis for more than 10 minutes.
    I do not have any, but there have been several occasions that I have hunted for an uncomfortable period of time for a hidden ski and told myself that I will definitely get some powder chords for the next powder day. I have yet to do so and I have yet to lose a ski, but I really feel like I am pushing my luck since I tend to fall often. I have been advised that inespensive survey tape is just as good as any manufactured product.

After a 45 minute, and multiple expletive search for my ski in about 5" of pow at ALta, I say, their worth it. I can still here my buddy at the 40 minute mark, "What the fuck are ya gonna do now?"

just crank your DIN to 16 then if you loose a ski, you can look for the lower half of your leg and a bloody spot in the snow, much less gaperific.

I've never used them, but have considered it on many occasions out with friends that have lost skis forever.

Talking Sign of being gay!

Powder cords went out in the 70's along with the pink powder suits. Jesus H. Christ cowboyz, if you're loosing a ski in cotton ball powder, your goddamn wrists are awfully limp. A limp wrist equals gay. Get yourselfs a pair of fat boards so you can float on top and quit going over the handle bars.

Re: Sign of being gay!

Originally posted by BanditXXX
    Powder cords went out in the 70's along with the pink powder suits. Jesus H. Christ cowboyz, if you're loosing a ski in cotton ball powder, your goddamn wrists are awfully limp. A limp wrist equals gay. Get yourselfs a pair of fat boards so you can float on top and quit going over the handle bars.
    I get it, whack off more and get fatter skis. The incresed forearm strength should help in the digging for lost skis. Cool. Thanks.

Seems, well "gay" at times but beats donating one till spring on a deep day.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Originally posted by SteepnDeep
    ... I can still here my buddy at the 40 minute mark, "What the fuck are ya gonna do now?"
    (Cracked rib), "woa... woa, wheres my ski, mang? oh, bye the way, i have a cracked rib, so I'm useless.

Dan: No worries, take our time we'll get out of here.

Me "balls on, thanks!'

I have some powder boards that are of large diameter and when I ski them in deep powder, alas, my feet don't float. I guess gravity is real and I do weight more than snow.
    jong

Originally posted by sandytheskier
    jong
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Ms. Registered Less Than A Month Ago And Feeling Bad-Ass With Our 42 Posts.

Originally posted by wiz
    those .85 cent toy beaners at the counter in your local home center.
    OK, it took me about five minutes of thought to realize you are talking about toy carabiners.