Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Baker didn't suck this weekend (pics/vid)

I got my first taste of the Mt. Baker backcountry this weekend. I skied friday-sunday and I think had the most epic weekend of my life!

Friday: Hiked the Shuksan arm all the way over to Safety Ridge and ripped down it, omigosh- I've skied powder a LOT before in Whistler, Fernie, Lake Louise, Golden etc but skiing at Baker was a totally different experience. The line I took was down the end of the ridge inbetween these cool spiney things, got going so fast I hardly knew what to do with myself! Can't wait to do more Baker b/c this season and next! As I said in my last Baker TR, I am in LOVE with the place!

The boys kept making fun of me, however, because they're amazed that I can shred down steep chunder at Whis but a fresh steep pow face scares the crap out of me!

Saturday: Hiked Blueberry Chutes twice and finished with a run down Elf Chutes. Fun times...

The Bakerboy, MtBakerSkier and Hop posse trekking up to the chimney to drop that cornice up there:

What we hiked: (to the highest roller on skier's right of the peak)

Troy ripping down, not wanting to spend much time beneath that gargantuan cornice, I chose to ski far skiers left of that more toward the Blueberry chutes:

About to lose it....

And finally:

Kevan rippin up Elf Chutes at the end of the day:

Footage from Saturday, (the cameraman has been fired, he missed the top half of my line!)
    You probably won't be able to watch this using Firefox, so use Internet Explorer or Safari please. Updated Quicktime helps too. Enjoy:
    http://media.putfile.com/Baker-Mar-9-12

Sunday: Family fun day with my buddy's parents and bro, ran into Heimer in the lodge and saw Hop a few times. At the end of the day Hop showed us a SICK photo of Heim dropping a large sized cornice, beauty. Hop feel free to hijack this thread and add some photos.

To finish the day off, Kevan and I hiked the Arm again and dropped a nice steep face that kind of faces the Beast (before the beast) and had some sweeeet turns, except that the visiblity dropped to um.... nothing by the time we got to the top. Skiing by Braille = awesome. Eventually we'll have some photos of that line as well as some extreme tandem stinkbugging in the mini park.

Overall an unforgettable weekend, except for the 1hr long wait at the Cdn border where I found out that Mr. Teddy 'Ticker' Knape had passed away. Love you Teddy.
    Believe.

nice pictures
    nice video
    love that song
    i'm so jealous now.

Nice pics, couldn't see the vid, but it may be my quicktime...

Yes, Baker did not suck Sunday!!

There are still north facing pow slopes ...
    It's hard to wag your tail when it is tucked between your legs.

Nice shots...

I'm guessing you guys have a nice snowpack this year.

Looks like fun.
    And what's this about Teddy?...never mind just saw the thread.
    So sorry, he was a great and super nice guy.
    RIP.

Back to the stoke...Baker is awesome.
    Last edited by Atrain505; 03-13-2006 at 01:43 PM.

A thing of beauty, a skin track.

beautiful pics for sure!

nice, makes me hate where i am, it rained to the top of stowe today
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

I heard you all on the radio all day yesterday. I had a blast inbounds but you really scored in the BC.
    Great pics.
    By the way I couldn't get video on firefox or IE. I guess I'll try to update QT and see if that works.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

nice video.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

That. Place. Looks. So. Fucking. Sick.

PNW maggots got it good eh?

Thumbs up

awesome pics! gotta love Baker

Thanks for all the props! Funny that a little 2.0 megapixel camera (with duct tape holding the battery compartment shut, I might add...) can take some semi-decent photos!

Weapon of choice:
    Believe.

For the plugin-challenged:

http://upload3.putfile.com/videos/7111441656.mov

Nice vid, but yeah you need slap that camera operator.
    Last edited by bio-smear; 03-13-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Nice to meet you if only for a moment or three...
    BTW that's not us in the skintrack because 1. the clothes are not radioactive glowing and 2. we're not sliding backwards on skis w/ 110+mm waists and skins <95mm wide

Yes, this weekend truly ruled. A writeup with pics to follow sometime at www.coreshot.com

FWIW the snow is still super duper &#252;ber rad and we scored some nice untracked lines on Hemis this afternoon. Watch out for the sluffing though.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

My bagel was tasty. Believe. Oh, I almost missed my ferry last night. I may venture down to Baker again before the season ends- are you going to be around next year?
    Believe.

Brought some EC gaper love to Baker this past weekend. The most fun I've ever had on snow. Baker is unreal. And Galcier is an awfully nice place to "rest" with friends.

Trubs- super duper indeed.
    Last edited by biggins; 03-13-2006 at 11:38 PM.

spent most of the day saturday inbounds showing a friend some nice tree runs, but did get one ob run on sat., and one on sun. a great weekend to work on the goggle tan.

thanks for the continued stoke. we fly in saturday and ski till the following saturday.
    by the way it's done nothing but continously rain here for the last day and a half. now it's supposted to get cold.
    Glad i stopped lurking and joined in teh fun

I'm so gaper - I didn't get OB all weekend - again.

And now we have a third maggot in the islands? What's with that?
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    I'm so gaper - I didn't get OB all weekend - again.

And now we have a third maggot in the islands? What's with that?
    You're all going to need a special Island Maggot ferry run soon. Island Maggot t-shirts? Are you all on San Juan?
    So are you hanging with the ski school up by the Heather lodge? I'll stop by to say hi if I can find you.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Heh, my Island has 1 other mag, except he doesn't ski Whistler. How long is your San Juan ferry?
    Believe.

Great TR, Amy! Ain't the Baker bc simply the tastiest morsels under le soliel?!!

I was pining for Baker goodness all weekend, while at Alpy Sat, and Xtal Sunday, running two cameras the whole time, but still managed to find the goods.....TR's as yet unfinished.... the best stuff is all Fujchrome...lots of PowMag Cover Boy Wayne Grevey......who was "famous" long before Girlski was around.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrubs
    My bagel was tasty. Believe. Oh, I almost missed my ferry last night. I may venture down to Baker again before the season ends- are you going to be around next year?
    If you're talking to me then the answer is definitely maybe.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels