Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

3-12-06 - The Pontoons meet their match (AKA: THE DEEPEST DAY EVER!)

Wolf Creek trip report coming tomorrow with pics and video.

100"+

I left at 3:00 AM on Saturday morning, make perfect time and pull into the parking lot at 8:00 AM. At that point, the storm total was about 50-60." I spent almost the whole day ripping up Alberta Ridge and Waterfall laps, because honestly, those are the only trails that are steep enough to ski with that much snow. I hucked pretty much everything I say, probably about 10 drops... and of course skiing on the Toons meant the landest couldn't have been any easier. Skied constant waist - chest deep all day and didn't wait in a single lift line. I didn't get any pics from that day cause I was skiing solo. It snowed pretty consistantly throughout the day and was absolutely ponding by the time I left. The forecast was for at least another foot overnight and another foot on Sunday - probably more.

Sat night mtnbikeskierchick (MBSC) shows up and I tell her about the insanity was Saturday and the possibility of the next day.

Sunday morning we pull into the lot around 8:00 AM again. It was hammering even harder than when I left the day before. The report said 30" in 24 hours, which meant 24" overnight!!!!!! All the lifts were late to open and Bonanza finally opened around 9:15. We skied a few lap under the chair which offered JUST enough pitch to move through the easily chest deep snow. The whole time I was looking forward to the opening of the Waterfall area.

The Treasure Chair opened around 10:00ish and we skied several laps on that chair on terrain that was again barely deep enough to ski. Make a wrong turn, end up in chest deep fresh on flat terrain, and it was a helluva slog to get back to the "groomed" trail. I have never seen a bigger junkshow under the chair - TEXANS EVERYWHERE. A ski here, a hat there... they looked like the debris leftover from a Kansas tornado. A few laps later, after constant checking, we heard that Alberta would not open all day BUT they were gonna run the snowcat, like days of 'ole.

I think it was around 11:15 when the finally opened up the terrain to access Waterfall. We made the mistake of entering the first gate which required the longest traverse to the terrain. The day before, it was packed down and an easy ski. On Sunday there was now close to 3 feet of snow between the trail entrance and the gate entrance. MBSC and I along with 5 or so other dudes took turns packing down the trail. It took us a good 20 minutes of grueling work to reach the gate. BUT HOLEY SHIT WAS IT WORTH IT!!!!!!

Within 5 seconds of getting there, we all drop in. I hit a double on the entrance and didn't see a damn thing the rest of the run down... the snow was up to my shoulders!!!!! I'm sure MBSC can attest to the same. The rest of the day we continued hitting Waterfall and almost every run was as good as the first. It continued to NUKE alllll day!!!!! Using the numbers provided it would appear that they only got 4" or so during the day, but I call total bullshit - it had to have snowed well over a foot during the day.

Big props to MBSC for being (as far as a I know) the only maggot to make the roadtrip down up North this weekend. What were the rest of yaz thinking???!!!!???

Here are the pics. We had to be picky where we filmed because it was pretty damn easy to get stuck.

MBSC early in the day under the Bonanza chair

me, popping out between nipple deep turns

Setting the track to get to Waterfall. I know it doesn't look deep in the pic, but that was the 2nd guy in line. Whoever was first had quite the workout.

They had to start the cat up because Alberta was closed until 3:00PM

Must.... go....... faster

MBSC in Waterfall

Blanca Peak on the drive home

VIDEO:

myself in Waterfall

Still trying to upload one video.

myself trying to drop something in WaterfallThe was just no way to get enough speed and there really wasn't a point to lauch from, so I tapped a little rock on the way down. No worries
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 03-13-2006 at 09:42 PM.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Please hurry, I have to go to bed soon.

Thumbs up

Yeah buddy!!!!!!!!

Some was got! Well played!

lookin forward to it

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    How was the tooning? Did it beat spatulating?
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Yes, all I can say is YYYYEEEESSSS!

Thanks for motivating me to head down to Wolf Creek, funken. I couldn't pass up your report of chest deep powder!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

who cares

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick
    Yes, all I can say is YYYYEEEESSSS!

Thanks for motivating me to head down to Wolf Creek, funken. I couldn't pass up your report of chest deep powder!
    Let's say chest-deep is 2/3 of your body height.

There's 100 inches, which is 2/3 of 150 inches, so you are 150 inches tall, i.e. about 12.5 feet,

damn you are tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks
    who cares
    Someone is bitter about having to ski Shawnee and Camelback.

Fantastic 18th post BTW.

kwood beeyotch

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks
    kwood beeyotch
    That aint near E. Stroudsburg.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman

There's 100 inches, which is 2/3 of 150 inches, so you are 150 inches tall, i.e. about 12.5 feet,

damn you are tall.
    The chest deep description was the day BEFORE I arrived. We woke up this morning to WC saying 80 inches for the storm total, 30 inches new.... so 50 inches was the storm total Saturday. And I believe that funkendrenchman's chest is at least at least 50 inches tall In case you can't do the math, that is 5 feet 4 inches.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

kwood ain't near colorado... just like snow

heading down there tonight/this morning with blurred and my buddy....

was it still snowing when you left?

still fresh lines im assuming?

damn you are tall.

iceman..he was on carTOONs. I don't think he was sinking through it all. And yes, the storm total is at 80 inches. I definetly think there is well over 100 in certain areas. Some special places could easily have an extra 2-3 feet of wind deposit=OH OH OH>>>>YEA
    Last edited by jpcmoriarty; 03-13-2006 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty
    iceman..he was on carTOONs. I don't think he was sinking through it all. And yes, the storm total is at 80 inches. I definetly think there is well over 100 in certain areas. Some special places could easily have an extra 2-3 feet of wind deposit=OH OH OH>>>>YEA
    So she's more like 14 feet tall?

Whoa.

colorado is a dumb place.....150 in 8 days

Whoa.
    Yep, seems like I'm a giant by your math!
    -
    14erskiers.com

Whoa.

Joey,...now your just not making sense. Please respect what is being said, stop posting and go sking.
    Last edited by jpcmoriarty; 03-13-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Joey,...now your just not making sense.
    He must be drunk
    -
    14erskiers.com

What was the groomer's choice that day?

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight
    What was the groomer's choice that day?
    Ask the Texans. We had so much fun watching all of them screaming down the run, crashing, then watching the pile of Texans falling on one another after that!

(Sorry Lone Star!)
    -
    14erskiers.com

Joey,...now your just not making sense.
    Of course I'm not making sense. It's called bantering, making shit up and going with it. It's what the place was built on.

And since I noticed your comment about the fat skis and not sinking all the way, yet you have not repudiated the "chest-deep" comment, I think it must have snowed like 300" and she's about 16' tall.

DO THE MATH, BRAH

And Joey's my kid, he skis better than you, my name's Joe.

And I'm a hundred feet tall, so don't fuck with me.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    skool is 4 fulz

i"m leaving for Wolf Creek in less than four hours> it is past midnight now>>>

I cant fucking sleep> been laying here for two hours now trying to force my self to sleep> hasnt worked>pounded a couple pbrs>didnt work FUCKKKKK>oh well>Wurkel and lonestar are trying to rally too>zombies chest deep tomorrow