Review: Movement Pow-Pow & Pow-Pow LTD

Movement Skis: Pow-Pow & Pow-Pow LTD

Movement Skis, a rootsy Swiss company (“The Swiss Freeride Ski Company”), started manufacturing skis in 2002, and has quickly garnered a loyal following of hard-core skiers in Europe. They’re launching into the North American market for the ’06-07 season, and were kind enough to give one of their few new dealers, tramdock.com, some demo time on next year’s line.

Movement is defined by the freeride movement, and their skis reflect that focus in every way. Scrawled on the white underfoot sidewalls, you’ll find the slogan, “Fight the Power. Ride the Powder.” And it isn’t just smart, targeted marketing. This is a company that believes its product should be built to satisfy the demands and desires of dedicated freeride and freestyle skiers who push the boundaries of their sport every day.

I skied the Pow-Pow and Pow-Pow LTD (swallowtail) in varying conditions this week. These are skis built with care. The bases are perfectly flat and beautifully structured; the topsheets seem indestructible; edge impacts hardly leave a mark. Underfoot, a length of white vertical sidewall marks the stiffest part of the ski’s construction, lending incredible stability. Toward the tip and tail, the sidewall tapers and turns black, marking a medium, round flex pattern.

Monday was a bumped-out hardpack day at Alta, and it was the standard Pow-Pow’s turn on the hill. With a versatile 92mm waist, it railed on groomers as easily as it floated through crud. The first thing I noticed was, “wow, these things can hook up a turn.” With the super fast base, finely tuned edges, and a healthy sidecut, I felt like I was riding a pair of fine Wusthof cutlery. Once I got used to the ski’s mannerisms, it was time to let them start really exploring the mountain. Since the snow wasn’t great, we entertained ourselves with steeper, more technical lines on the mountain—bumped-out lines ending in cliff sneak-throughs and small airs.

The Pow-Pow’s performed flawlessly. Every turn was precision itself. I felt confident snaking through exposed cliff bands and eking past tight trees at speed. When dropping into a choke between cliffs, I encountered a small mandatory air into the chute. On a soft day, it wouldn’t have been a big deal, but with crusty hardpack and a bumped runout, I was a bit nervous. However I trusted the skis, and pointed it off the air—no problem. They maintained perfect stability through the nasty conditions with the stiff flex, but the softer tips allowed me to arc right into a speed-dumping turn in the apron. I’d pick these skis as an everyday ski in a heartbeat.

A few days later, we’d received several feet of snow and it was time for the Pow-Pow LTD’s to show their stuff. The LTD’s are a stiffer version of the standard Pow-Pow, with the same dimensions and their most obvious difference: a dramatic swallowtail. I’ll be honest—in Utah, a 92mm waisted ski is considered, at best, a mid fat; in some circles it’s practically a carving ski. I was worried about riding a ski this narrow on a Utah powder day. One day after the storm, the snow had set up a bit and I was looking at heavily chopped mashed potatoes where the mountain had been open, and about 24” of wind-affected, untouched powder just waiting for Ski Patrol to drop the ropes. It was sunny and going to be a great day.

The skis, despite being a bit under gunned, performed flawlessly. You really couldn’t afford to let your skis get too far under the snow surface since it was heavier stuff, and the Pow-Pow’s swallowtail seemed to make that task easier. I still had to backseat it a bit to get the tips up where I needed them in high-speed runouts. But cranking off mid-sized turns in the powder, these skis just shined. They are lively but damp and stable, make beautiful round turns but are stiff enough to hold up when carrying real speed through highly variable crud and powder conditions. On the groomers, the LTD’s shone as well—they were super stable, carvy, fast, and fun. I would have definitely liked a wider ski on this day, but I would choose the LTD’s over any other ski of the same girth for shredding the pow and then railing the groomers back to the lift.

Expect to see a lot of Movement skis across the North American freeride scene next year—especially in places like the U.S. and World Freeskiing Tours. Word on the street is prices will be extremely reasonable as well. These are sick skis. –Josh Rhea

Nice review man!

Cool to see that those guys are finally going to head over to this side of the water. I skied a few models when back in Europe, and agree that they seem bomb-proof. I also know a few of the UK/Euro guys/gals that ride for them, and they all seem happy with the product too - spancership or not

Others to look out for: The Evariste Berney Pro - jibby stick at 80mm, but an enormously fun ride in the park, and anything else that is firm.

The Flame/Demon Flame; true midfat which takes a few laps to get used to, but then starts to really come out of its shell, and performs in all but the deepest with style.

Things to remember about these skis: the wood used in the core. They use Okume, making them strong and light, and is now starting to creep into the cores of other, bigger, brands.
    Also, they are tested in the Verbier area of Switzerland, so they get a thorough testing of freeride ability with the various big mtn lines and technical descents around the area.
    Lastly, they are made in the Wild Duck snowboards factory - a comapny that has been around since 1981, so they know how to knock together some gear.

Just hope they have something even fatter in the works....
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

Quote Originally Posted by jonski
    Just hope they have something even fatter in the works....

Goliath, 135/108/124, non twin
    More @ http://www.movementskis.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

I have to mitigate a bit this stoke.
    Euro freeride forums are full of movement skis on sale, and they're quite cheap because most of the dudes who bought them are not happy and honestly wrote it. Said in few words, freeride skis are in most cases absurdely stiff (something that only very, very strong or very, very heavy dudes can enjoy), and AT-dedicated skis (which I personally demoed better than freeride skis) are in most cases too soft and unskiable on hard snow. I personally have not meet yet a movement ski customer fully happy with these sticks. Also, I personally feel a bit disappointing that the company writes everywhere "the swiss freeride company etc etc" but they never write clearly that most of their skis are made in tunisia. I have nothing against tunisia, but the fact that skis are produced there (BTW, in front of the nidecker boar factory) should be disclosed

verbier - Ive got to respectfully disagree. I've skied lots of touring-specific skis in west coast glop. I had a chance to demo a Movement Spark (82mm) waist; a Movement Thunder (88mm waist) and Red Apple (74mm.

I probably liked the Red Apple the best! Closely followed by the Spark. I didn't like the Thunder - too stiff.

I usually ski a Kneissl Tanker (stiff) and a BD Havoc (soft) in the b/c but the Thunder was pretty much unmanageble for a small guy (68 kilos) like me.

yeah there are so many thunders on sale in european forums exactly because they are way too stiff to be enjoable. Also, some got delaminated or had edges troubles. I didn't try enough the red apple to get an adequate opinion, but tried extensively the evolution (the other AT ski) and it was simply unskiable (too light, no grip) for me.

It is good to hear some other reviews on the movements. I have been skiing all the models quite a bit lately. I have been really impressed with every ski I have skied. My fav's were the Goliath and the Thunder, but the Pow Pows are equally as impressive. As for the factory tune, I think it is pretty poor, Particle more than likely was skiing on Bill's demos that I tuned because I thought the tune was sub par. But I don't like many factory tunes. I know that they are stiff for most people, but what blew me away was the fact that they are soooo easy to ski, yet being stiff. I like the fact that they don't use metal, it keeps the weight down and the stiffer flex keeps the high speed stability. I thought the Thunder was an incredible everyday midfat, but it is for aggressive skiers for sure. I am going to set up either a Goliath, or a PowPow LTD w/Freerides for my new AT setup, they are sooo light. I think these skis will make a big splash next year. As far as the manufacturing in Tunisia goes, I don't see them hiding that fact. They own the factory, it is run by an Italian who has been making skis for years, they use extremely high quality materials. This is no different than any other ski company, location does not matter, it is the factory and who runs it. And hey, the G3's have been pretty well recieved in the Tele market and Movement builds them. I am all about the Movements, good stuff
    "Right after you finish pointing it and you get up about 30 miles an hour and your skis plane out on top and you start to accelerate and you know you can start turning in powder. Thats the moment." - R.I.P. Shane

Where could a find a pair of Goliaths to buy? Used is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Where could a find a pair of Goliaths to buy? Used is good too.
    The Goliath is a limited edition release. Right now there are 2 pair in the US, one demo and one unmounted show pair. They will be availible next season at a few select shops in the US (maybe 20-30 dealers). Retail on a pair of Goliaths will be $900. Powpows and the Thunder will range from $675-$750. Unfortunately you will have to wait til next season.
    Kris
    "Right after you finish pointing it and you get up about 30 miles an hour and your skis plane out on top and you start to accelerate and you know you can start turning in powder. Thats the moment." - R.I.P. Shane

As far as the stiffness debate goes, my main take on it is that yes - many of the models, even the park models like the Kama Sutra, are going to be too stiff for a lot of people. However, for Movement's target market, I think they'll be really good - they reminded me a lot of my old Kneissl Tankers.

The thing that really stuck out to me was that they were stiff enough to be stable, but the tip and tail were softened up a bit, lending a really nice, smooth round turn. Not for everyone, but they are a manageably stiff ski. They are not nearly as stiff as my 189 Squads...

Krash, regarding the factory tune, I'll be curious to see how the US production models turn out. They're made by the Tua guy...forget his name. And apparently when Tuas first came out they had the sickest tune, flattest bases out there. And most people know that their QC just went to crap the last few years before Tua died. So, hopefully Movement will stay to the high-quality end of the spectrum...

I'm not convinced I'd buy a pair yet but I think its a great concept for a ski company and it should do well with its target market.

Particle, did you get to ski on the Goliath? I know they are not even close to the 189 Squads, but before I flexed and skied a Squad the Goliaths were the stiffest 100+ waisted ski I had skied. I thought the Goliaths being so light yet stiff & stable were incredible. They did kick my ass skiing a hardpack day of bumps at A-Basin, but ruled it in the Butte 4-8" on hardpack. Just curious if you have an opinion/review on these.
    btw best graphics ever! fuckin freaky
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Krash
    Particle, did you get to ski on the Goliath? I know they are not even close to the 189 Squads, but before I flexed and skied a Squad the Goliaths were the stiffest 100+ waisted ski I had skied. I thought the Goliaths being so light yet stiff & stable were incredible. They did kick my ass skiing a hardpack day of bumps at A-Basin, but ruled it in the Butte 4-8" on hardpack. Just curious if you have an opinion/review on these.
    btw best graphics ever! fuckin freaky
    Kris
    Haven't skied the Goliaths but I have fondled and flexed them...they seem quite promising. Not as stiff as my Squads but that said - plenty stiff!

And if you took those things bump skiing at the Basin, you deserve to have your ass kicked

Have skied with Pow Pow's for 2 seasons now and they've been great everyday skis. Lively but still stiff enough for a big fellow like me and they've been on some rough rides -> Durability is quite good.

Still planning to leave them in my quiver even they're quite beaten..

What fantastic input. Blurred you probably already know the website is www.movementskis.com

The odd Canadian retailers already has some skis. ROIRECREATION.com is distributing them. Escape Route in Whistler already has skis and I know Rob from Whistler Alpine guides was touring with some already.

The Sparks I tried had incredible edge hold - stiff in the middle yet soft at the tips. This is what I posted a while ago about the Red Apples from a review; I've skied them a bit since them and liked them in the pow a lot.

http://www.leelau.net/2005/cowboyrid...idge220405.htm

Here is my Movement Skis review:

Movement Red Apple 74 in 178 cms length tested. Dimensions are 114-74-104. Website is www.movementskis.com. Tester is 5' 11" male; 165 lbs; experienced skier skiing at PSIA 9 level or CSIA Expert/Advanced level. Bindings are Fritschi Explore 2005. Conditions were soft-packed, corn deteriorating to melt- and grabby later in the day.

1. The ski is eye-catching and has terrific graphics
    2. Love the light weight of the skis. The skis have low swing weight also.
    3. Nice tail attachment for skins due to rubber bumper on the tail. Like the fact there is no tip attachment so euro-style rubber tip skins can slip on easily. Would be nice to have cutouts at tips of skis so you can rig a sled out of it.
    4. Decent torsional rigidity on groomers. Holds carve well in groomers in short and medium radius turn. Exceptionally good in short turns due possibly to swing weight and large sidecut. Good in moderate turns. In long radius big turns at high speed,
    ski tips noticeably deflect and chatter.
    5. On corn snow, same observations as above. Unable to find powder to test the skis.
    6. On schmooey melted snow; the skis get bounced around a lot when going at speed (ie my preferred way of skiing schmoo snow)

im on the first movement joysticks (red-yellow-green) the third season now and i like them alot. too small and skinny for real powder, but great fun- piste- and parkski. an they are REALLY bombroof, only the topsheet gets easily scratched. for am use i mounted them ~1,5cm back and they carve, spin and ski fast really well...

but there are also quality problems on some movement skis, for example lots of delaminating demons (only the first demons they made), also the sparks have a problem, lots of broken sparks around here, they told us they did something wrong with the schaum? whats the english word for schaum? it is what a core is made of, if it isnt made of wood okay?

we sell movementski in the shop im working in the 3rd season now, and most people like them... but we sell VERY few skis fatter then 80mm over here

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    whats the english word for schaum?
    Foam.

Thought I would chime in here. The ROI rep from Montreal just dropped off some movement skis at our shop for us to check out and see if we want to sell em next year. He gave us the Flame, Kama Sutra, and a chick ski called Spicy. He gave me a mini class on their whole line and a catalogue of next years sticks. I am pretty impressed with these skis. Construction seems very solid, quality materials, and of course the graphics are nice. He told me that this guy who works there, Tua Mani,(spelling pob. wrong.) is like a epoxy/resin engeneering guru and is who the Tua ski company was named after. I haven't tried the skis yet, unfortunaly they are mounted alpine, but have flexed and caressed them quite alot. I would not call these 'stiff' skis. An in shop hand-flex makes them feel about the same if not softer than my T-Rocks. The flame and kama sutra seem to have a nice round flex in the tip and a bit stiffer of tail. Huge egdes at 2mm that I'm told are the biggest in the industry. Super tough topsheets that seem like they will hold up well, just no stickers will stay on em. All skis are hand tuned at the factory and waxed with toko wax. And I finally heard for sure that G3 and Movement are not the same skis. He also told me that quite a few of the skis have been totally overhauled with newer materials and should ski a bit different. I'm damn near positve I will get a set of Freeheels for next winter, mabey some Thunders too . So thats my $.02. Having these skis for sale at our shop is what might keep me from getting some Kingswoods as I could get two pair of movements for the same price. Oh well.

I have a pair of Goliaths on order to go with some Freerides as my new AT setup for next year. I can't wait, I have been skiing the PowPow Ltd's the last few days, and wow they really rip. At first they feal a little light and flighty but the harder you ski them, and the more angles you create (think race ski) the more they rip. Everybody that has skied them are loving them, all my shop guys like'em and a few of the local racer kids and instructors have really liked them as well. I just could not pass up a pair of the Goliaths over the PowPows, hey bigger is better right? But for an 90mm+ everyday ski the PowPow would be hard to beat, that might replace my quiver of 777's