Stowe 3/7 - pics and quick clip

just a few pics and a verrry short clip of a drop in the stowe BC.

me:

don:

me again, different angle (from video cam):

should have brought the skins:

quick clip. literally like 2 seconds:
    http://www.uvm.edu/~rjthomps/stowe/rjdrop.mpg

the cliff was only about 30 feet, but we'd been waiting for the right snow for a solid two years since we "perfected" the landing zone. good to have the monkey off our backs.

niceness, i spent all day skinning up the notch road, then spying sick shit, hiking it and skiing it, good day all around, looks like you had a good day too!
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

ooooh looks good, wish i had motivated to meet you guys there.
    "Wound up? I'm just pumped. I'm excited. You know: rock-solid, ready to go. A little bit paranoid but I'm feeling really, really good. You know?"

Looks sick up there. I dont think i've ever been that far out. is that before or past hellbrook ... must have been hikin for a while.
    The pics and vid look awesome...the notch and smuggs make for a good backdrop. any pics or vid of another angle of the cliff u hit. interested in seeing what it looks like.
    Last edited by caddah; 03-07-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Caddah, the cliff is waaaay past hellbrook, deep into the notch. We don't have another angle as I was on vid, Don was on still while tbar dropped, then I hopped to still for Don to drop. As tbar said it was good to check it off the list. I know its something that he's wanted to do for the last two years and we just haven't had the right amount of snow stay long enough. It's not that its a huuuge drop that you need to absorb a lot of snow its that the landing needs a lot of cover unless you like stumps up the ass. We shot that angle so we could have Smuggs and/or the notch road and Spruce in the backdrop. Unfortunately it didn't have as much pop and we couldn't quite get the "jumping into the notch road from nothingness" look that we were going for intially but it's done. Probably won't be able to do it again this year unless the rain holds up and we get some more snow.

Quote Originally Posted by skiaholik
    Caddah, the cliff is waaaay past hellbrook, deep into the notch. We don't have another angle as I was on vid, Don was on still while tbar dropped, then I hopped to still for Don to drop. As tbar said it was good to check it off the list. I know its something that he's wanted to do for the last two years and we just haven't had the right amount of snow stay long enough. It's not that its a huuuge drop that you need to absorb a lot of snow its that the landing needs a lot of cover unless you like stumps up the ass. We shot that angle so we could have Smuggs and/or the notch road and Spruce in the backdrop. Unfortunately it didn't have as much pop and we couldn't quite get the "jumping into the notch road from nothingness" look that we were going for intially but it's done. Probably won't be able to do it again this year unless the rain holds up and we get some more snow.
    I can see what you were going for in that shot.. great effort, representing the east coast. thx

Quote Originally Posted by caddah
    any pics or vid of another angle of the cliff u hit. interested in seeing what it looks like.
    this one is from last year. standing on the takeoff point, camera pointing slightly skier's left of where the LZ is, which appears to be the Notch Road. Snow depth in the landing area was bunk that day = long hike for a picnic.

this one was taken 2 weeks ago, i mean 2 summers ago...looking up at the takeoff. ideal landing point is about 10-15 feet downhill from where the picture was shot.

sorry the pics are kinda large, i didn't feel like resizing them

Definately can see what the plan was with that angle you used.
    Just needed a little more pop. any chance of makin a small kicker
    to get a little more. probably next to no inrun or room at the LZ
    or any extra air...sweet cliff tho.

That first big picture is sweet. Awesome view looking down in to
    the notch from ur take off point. looks like you could friggen fall
    all the way down to the road.

have you ever done or heard of any one attempting any lines like
    these on the spruce/smuggs side. i think the far right one is tusk.
    the one to the left looks rather gnar tho. wonder if its even possible.
    would make for quite the shot.

yeah we contemplated putting a bit of a pop on the takeoff yesterday, but the lower part of the landing zone wasn't as deep as the mid and upper part, so we played it safe. i skied the tusk, buttcrack, and chicken chutes last year with skijunky in early april, they're fairly steep and consistent, with a few small icefalls/boulders that you need to negotiate with. i can't remember the names of the ones as you get further out to looker's left, but i bet skijunky does...