Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how not to lose your skis in powder?

Hi!

I'm a JONG and I'm aware of it...so, sorry if you think that this question is stupid! I was just wondering what system you use in powder not to lose the ski if the binding releases.

A good solution could be a high DIN... but then I should seek my knee with the ski and in case of avalanche...

Once I tried with ski links using a 3mt long rope of 4mm. I think it works quite well because the ski is not so nearby as the normal short ski links. However, the problem in case of avalanche still remain.

Does it work the old technique of the pre-beacon era to rescue a man (it was just a long rope bound to a leg, in this case to the ski)?

The powdercord is usable. Though some just tie a long and colorful cord on the binder (but not on yer feet). The really colorful cord should be a bit easier to spot than just the ski...
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

mount a beacon on each ski

Train your dog to find your skis. If you don't have a dog, adopt one.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

well i lost a ski last week. It pretty much sucked. Hopefully I will see it again in May or June.

I just got some Marker powder leashes for my NEW skis. I haven't had a chance to use em yet, but they look pretty long. I guess you wrap the excess cord around this round plastic thingamabob to keep it all tidy, then when your ski flies off of your boot, the cord unravels from the plastic thingamabob like the cords on a parachute. I have high hopes of never losing a ski again.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWA
    I just got some Marker powder leashes for my NEW skis ... I have high hopes of never losing a ski again.
    Ben, there are some things you want to keep to yourself... I'll let others get first dibs

This is a dangerous thread. If you post the wrong thing, you are sure to lose a ski the next pow day...

well i lost a ski last week. It pretty much sucked. Hopefully I will see it again in May or June.

I just got some Marker powder leashes for my NEW skis. I haven't had a chance to use em yet, but they look pretty long. I guess you wrap the excess cord around this round plastic thingamabob to keep it all tidy, then when your ski flies off of your boot, the cord unravels from the plastic thingamabob like the cords on a parachute. I have high hopes of never losing a ski again.
    Hopefully your Marker powder leashes don't prerelease. That is why I would suggest wrapping the extra length around your scrotum thingamabob.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Crank your bindings to 18. Lose a leg before you lose a ski.

Powder straps help and have saved my ass, or at least my skis, from being lost or saving much time in a search

Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S
    Powder straps help and have saved my ass, or at least my skis, from being lost or saving much time in a search
    And what bindings could Jim S *possibly* be skiing on after such a damning statement?

Drumroll, please!!!

Markers!

"These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Dude you need Highway Star stock bindings.

These things are better than Race stock.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    **funny shit**
    I'm "this" close to making that my background
    I think of it every time I see snowlerblades.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    And what bindings could Jim S *possibly* be skiing on after such a damning statement?

Drumroll, please!!!

Markers!

Whats wrong with markers?

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    You're too young to understand, yet you have 600 posts.
    Last edited by BakerBoy; 03-06-2006 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Other than pre-release and exploding, the just generaly suck. Thats all.
    If you open a second beer and don't miss a beat between sips, is that two beers or just one 24 ouncer? -Tye 1on

I've never really understood the term, "losing a ski." I don't have much money, leaving a ski behind is not an option. I would dig to the ground in a fifty yard radius before leaving one behind. It would have to be pitch black before I would end my excavation for the day, returning the next morning to finish the job.

That said, most of the time they're pretty easy to find. You'll usually find it right around where the accident started, not where you ended up.

BobMc

Hopefully your Marker powder leashes don't prerelease. That is why I would suggest wrapping the extra length around your scrotum thingamabob.
    OH YEAH? Well there's not enough room cuz your mom's tongue is already wrapped around that thingamabob!

sorry, my 8 year old side couldn't hold back

OH YEAH? Well there's not enough room cuz your mom's tongue is already wrapped around that thingamabob!

sorry, my 8 year old side couldn't hold back
    You've been getting blowjobs from my mom since you were 8? You're a fucking stallion!

Anyways, powdercords are pretty weaksauce, but if you're gonna rock 'em, at least be stealthy and tuck them up under your ankle gaiters.

And turn your DIN up.

So now gaiters are uncool?

About the markers...I never knew why everyone hated em so much either...until this past weekend. Someone asked us at the wildwest gate if he could come join our group (guy was a good skier though, which was nice) so we said sure, he was on a pair of rental skis with marker bindings (I think he was demoing) and about half way down getting to the peytos chute one of his skis prereleased. There should have been NO reason for his ski to prerelease. We were skiing at a decent speed, in cut up snow, but there were no rocks or anything. His din was at 8.5, mine was at 8 (i'm not going to boost my din just to show off to people on the internet...I weigh 170 and I dont huck anything big so 8 is good enough for me) He was very, very lucky my friend saw his ski, it hit a tree and stopped...very lucky since if it didnt hit the tree it would have gone out of our way, and since we wouldnt want to risk getting cliffed out we wouldnt have been able to search for it. He's also really lucky he was able to crank the din up (I think he cranked it as high as it could go) before the technical part...if it prereleased in there he would have been in trouble. Guy was a good skier, on shitty bindings. NEVER buy marker.

Anyways, powdercords are pretty weaksauce, but if you're gonna rock 'em, at least be stealthy and tuck them up under your ankle gaiters.

And turn your DIN up.
    muthafawk high DIN settings, they cost me a perfectly good knee and 4 months of my life

Damn high DINs, damn them to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    So now gaiters are uncool?

Yes, you can go on with your ski day feeling confident that you made the correct choice by wearing jeans tucked into your ski boots that day.

Downhill: It's pretty much not the best argument to compare ANY brand of demo bindings to regular bindings, regardless of DIN settings, terrain, etc. Look bindings are held in high regard, yet I've seen countless instances of the demo versions just taking a shit whenever they feel like it, mostly on account of the demo plate itself.

BenWA: Well then, I suppose that's a perfectly good reason to run powdercords for most people. So in what terrain and conditions did you injure your knee?