Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How bad is Taos?

How bad is Taos?

anyone?

Scheduled to be there in 3 weeks. Looks bleak. :drinkies:

last week was miserable. steeps and chutes on the ridge are open on a rotating basis but are all really hard bumps. most of the mountain that doesn't face north is unskiable and the rest is base-scratching good. blues and greens are open but hard-packed. no soft stuff and absolutely no powder.

forecasted to snow by friday and if it does it will get better -- couple of weeks ago after ~10 inches was probably the best weekend this winter.

worst winter on record for northern new mexico.

edit: here's a pic from last sunday. the top (west ridge) was closed, but you can see that one could get to the middle of the slope after scratching the bases under the #2 chair (blitz run). that was the only soft spot on the mountain that didn't involve ducking ropes.

Last edited by f2f; 03-05-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Sheeeeeyat.

Thanks for the update, although not so good.

Looks like Ullr done fucked it over.

Oh well, there's always drinking.

looky here:

Gettin Mo Betta!

Mountain / Snow Report

Report Time: March 9, 2006, 6:53 am

Sky Conditions: Cloudy/Snowing Lightly
    Temperature: 19° F
    Wind: SW 15

Snowfall Amounts:
    13 inches in the last 24 hours
    14 inches in the last 5 days

i'll let you know whether those 13" are real or not when i go tomorrow

well - real or no?

Need to know how to interpret the up to 20 some odd they are calling for over the next couple days!

C'mon, ULLR! [waterboy cameo voice]U can doo it![/waterboy cameo voice]
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

real and getting better!

it snowed the whole day today. bombs kept going off until 11:00, when they opened the ridge and kachinha.

this is warming up on porcupine:

this too:

and this is how the same area from the second post picture looked today, this time from above:

winds too high though.

this post brought to you by 75mm underfoot. too bad i couldn't be on bros today

looking better! Glad ya got some... keep us posted?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."

hot fuckin damn!

Thanks for the 20 on the snow dooder. I'll be there from the 28th to the 2nd. Let's clinkie drinkie and GET FUCKIN AFTER IT!

i'm fucking pumped now! w000t!

Taos was On like motherfucking donkey kong today. Shiz was balls deep, and light....like up your nose sorta shit. Rumor has it more of the Highline and W.B are opening tomorrow or monday.

The fact that the base is hardly 4' just makes it more exciting. Recognize your skis are disposable, and rock the shit.

I'll be back tomorrow and monday. Finally, my legs are numb, my back hurts and my soul is lifted. We deserve it.

big ups to all the high desert pow hounds!

it's too much to miss. we're going back tomorrow! was it crowded today?

Crowded?? No. This is taos. no such thing as a crowd.

Literally skied onto the lift every time. No lines, no waiting. And we're talking about a weekend powder day during the driest winter in 110 years, and still, no crowds.

awesome.

eating breakfast, and it's dumping at my house in SF.

good stuff. keep it comin!

well there was a crowd today! oh my!

so, 22inches of new on top of whatever was there yesterday meant that today was the very very best day that i've ever had in taos. literally over the head on every turn.

the first three runs were better then sex, but then the wind picked up causing the closure of every chairlift besides the main one (maybe 8 was open? i got conflicting reports). with everybody packed on the main one there was what looked like a 30 minute wait, so we just gave up -- we got our fix early in the morning. i hope it breaks in the afternoon, but judging at how much it was blowing (and continues) on the way home, it's doubtful.

anon, at 6:30 i was past espanola and the parking lot was still full when we arrived at 8:45 (getting there was horrible: people with rear-wheel drive BMWs couldn't take the friggin' hill. on the way back i had to lend my shovel to people so they can dig their damn big SUVs out of the ditch). i hope you were there before they closed the road and got some turns in

They closed the road about 20 mins after we got there (before we took our first run).

It dumped and dumped and dumped (and blew!), but unfourtanly, chair 1 was the only one running, and everyone (everyone) was on those 6 runs. Harsh. The chair kept breaking down, and it was burly just trying to ski Al's. Snow was great, but already tracked up by the time we were skiing. They finally just closed the chair at 2:30 and told everyone to fuck themselves.
    It took us over an hour to get up from Arroyo Seco to TSV, following a HUGE pickup that apparanltly only had rear-wheel drive and was driven by a retarded monkey. It finally went into a ditch near Cottam's, and we were able to get around him.

Tomorrow, it will be unreal. Currently going through the guilt-debate on whether I should bail on my responsibilities and go skiing, or whether I should play the role of the responsible father. We'll see. Either way, tomorrow at Taos will be unreal. No one put any tracks down WB or HL. Lifts 2, 7, and 7A were closed all day, and tomorrow should be a bluebird monday.

do it. tomorrow will be epic, i'll settle for the slim pickins on friday

good to hear you weren't left out, but too bad you didn't make it earlier. we got something like 15th chair (hehe) and got untracked on top of AL's, but didn't bother with the bottom.

Mr 505:

GO GET AFTER IT.

Your children will understand,

oh goddamnit.

I had just decided that I would work tomorrow. Then, i look at both of your posts.

It's such a double-edged sword...If I go skiing, I'll be riddeled with guilt over it...if I work, I'll be depressed all day that my bros (not skis) are ripping pow while I'm hanging gutter (literally).

WTF to do?

Oh yah, in spirit of not hijacking this thread:

Total for the storm, at the base is about 45", and i would say it seems accurate. The storm came in w/ LOTS of wind, so loading on lee slopes will be heavy. As we were leaving we could see the ridge on the opposite side of the valley, and there was no accumulation on any of the windward slopes...none.

I'd suspect the avy conditions to be completely awful. I heard a bunch of people whining that patrol should have had lifts 8 and 2 open, and "at Squaw they wouldn't have any problem with a 2' storm". Well, at squaw the 2' wouldn't have landed on a 3' snowpack that's half TGM crap, and the rest suncrusts and windblown. In order for 8 (or anything else), they would have had to assure that all of the W. Basin was stable...which would have been impossible given the parameters.

but I digress....maybe i'll go, maybe i won't garrrrrrrrr.

The first few runs today down Als were epic but the rest was somewhat of a clusterfuck. After waiting in a couple of 45 min lift lines I gave up and ate lunch at Tims. When we went back out at about 2:00 the lift was shut down again and never opened.

Tomorrow will be epic. I drove down from abq with my brother who has to work tomorrow and he refused to call in sick tomorrow. Long story short, I had to drive back to abq tonight and am going to kick my brothers ass. I heard they were prepping to open at least to corner chute today until the wind came so there should be a lot of new runs open tomorrow. My brother fucking sucks!!! Shit.

GO. end of story.

be careful in those lift lines.
    Bill Lynch will try to grab your crotch when you're not looking.

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl
    The first few runs today down Als were epic but the rest was somewhat of a clusterfuck. After waiting in a couple of 45 min lift lines I gave up and ate lunch at Tims. When we went back out at about 2:00 the lift was shut down again and never opened.

Tomorrow will be epic. I drove down from abq with my brother who has to work tomorrow and he refused to call in sick tomorrow. Long story short, I had to drive back to abq tonight and am going to kick my brothers ass. I heard they were prepping to open at least to corner chute today until the wind came so there should be a lot of new runs open tomorrow. My brother fucking sucks!!! Shit.
    Your brother need to have his priorities "re-aligned"

Take some pics, thanks for the TRs.

watch those taos liftlines

....and Jean Mayer will berate you in his french accent for stepping on his 153 race stock Stockli's

Quote Originally Posted by PTracy P1
    Take some pics, thanks for the TRs.
    we left the camera in the car yesterday, but couldn't pass this one on the way home, typical taos:

had. to. work. sucks.