Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    but the ending is:

and then we just got to that. Frak!
    Last edited by iggyskier; 01-17-2009 at 04:25 AM.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Looks like she really was the last cylon.....I guess I am a bit disappointed right now. It was pretty anti-climactic for me.

edit - the more and more I think about it, the better I feel about it. I just can't wait to see how it all ends....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...nal-cylon.html

Quote Originally Posted by LA Times
    'Battlestar Galactica': Kate Vernon reveals a Cylonic secret
    Back from the dead for Season 4, Vernon's Ellen Tigh is indeed among the warring dirty dozen.
    By Geoff Boucher

January 17, 2009

Like a veteran of the witness protection program, actress Kate Vernon picked a secluded corner table of a very public restaurant for the meeting. She studied the tape recorder sitting next to her teacup on the table and then glanced around the Studio City bistro to see if anyone was eavesdropping. "Forgive me if I'm a little awkward talking about it," Vernon said during an interview earlier this week. "It's been two years that I've been sitting on this secret, and after that long it's kind of hard to just start talking . . . "

Vernon, you see, is the final Cylon, a fact revealed Friday night on the acclaimed Sci Fi television series "Battlestar Galactica." That makes her the solution to a mystery that has played out like some latter-day science fiction version of the "Who shot J.R.?" saga, but, unlike that old "Dallas" plotline, this one unfolded in an Internet Age and with a rabid-fan audience clawing for clues.

"People have been asking me and accusing me for months and months, but I played it off pretty good," said Vernon, who portrays the shrewish Ellen Tigh, a sort of Lady Macbeth in space whom some fans have dubbed a "cosmic cougar." Now her character has abruptly gained new dimensions as a riddle redefined, not unlike Keyser Söze in the final jolting moments of "The Usual Suspects."

For the uninitiated, despite its clunky name, "Galactica" is revered by its loyal viewers as a television landmark in sophisticated sci-fi storytelling and is now in its fourth and final season. This is no Buck Rogers serial -- nuanced and wrenching, it's a bleak opera about politics, religion and war in what may be the final days of the human race, which is being exterminated by sentient machines called Cylons. The show's themes of identity, faith, duty and betrayal are all made slippery by the fact that the humans have been living with 12 secret Cylons who all look, act and think like humans, a dozen synthetic "Manchurian Candidate" moles waiting for activation. Their identities have been slowly revealed, and, Friday night, to the shock of viewers, the last sleeper turned out to be Vernon's Ellen, the wife of Col. Saul Tigh, the raging, one-eyed career soldier who is still coming to grips with the fact that he is a Cylon. It's a complicated universe.

All of this was a tremendous surprise considering Ellen was poisoned to death in Season 3, but with the Cylons, the usual rules of mortality don't apply. Vernon is thrilled to be back. Her character was originally written for a four-episode arc, but she endured and became a key character -- until she was murdered by her on-screen husband.

"I wasn't done with the character," Vernon moaned. "They killed me off. I was devastated. Why me? What did I do wrong?"

A small reprieve came when executive producer Ron Moore told her she would return as a dark vision of her husband's tortured mind, but Vernon resigned herself to the fact that her role in "one of the greatest shows ever made" was over. Then, on an especially wrenching afternoon many months ago, she got a phone call.

"I was crawling down Sepulveda and I had just come from a therapy session and I was crying, my eyes were swollen like clam eyes, and I was hanging on my steering wheel wondering what was going on in my life and my career. The phone rang. It was Ron's assistant."

For the next 45 minutes (traffic was bad) Moore explained that Ellen would return as a centerpiece presence. "Now I'm in seven of the last nine, and they are just absolutely brilliant. I can't tell you how good they are," she said.

In person, Vernon is sunnier and more soulful than her character ("Mercury," she pointed out during the interview, "is in retrograde right now, so machines won't work right and you'll be late for things . . . "), but she has a great deal of empathy for Ellen Tigh. "She is so misunderstood. People told me they loved hating her, but when she was murdered they suddenly hated loving her."

Vernon grew up on the periphery of the showbiz spotlight. Her father was the late John Vernon, a career actor with a long list of credits who may be best remembered as Dean Wormer in "Animal House." He was less than thrilled by his daughter's career choice, but she persevered and as a young actress put together a résumé that reads like a time capsule of 1980s guilty pleasures. She was one of the inmates in "Chained Heat," the so-bad-it's-good-but-not-really 1983 classic about women in prison (and featuring her dad) and then landed a "Falcon Crest" role as Lorraine Prescott, a love interest of the caddish playboy played by Lorenzo Lamas. She also played Benny, the haughty rich girl in 1986's high school classic "Pretty in Pink" and got a recurring role on "Who's the Boss."

In the 1990s, she worked on "L.A. Law" and had a career surge with a memorable role in "Malcolm X," but by the start of this decade she was weary of Hollywood. She was mulling over a career in real estate in 2004 when she got the call about the "Battlestar" role.

The actress arrived on the set and (only then) discovered that Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos were the stars of the show and that Olmos was directing the episode that brought Ellen in. Her first scene on the set was a lusty, boozy reunion between Ellen and husband Saul (Michael Hogan), and after that acting challenge, she realized she was onto something special.

"This is one for the ages, the best experience of my life," Vernon said. "The writers fell in love with Ellen. The bad girls are the best. Wait until you see what Ellen gets into next. I just have to be sure I don't say the wrong thing about the nine episodes that are left. But I'm pretty good at keeping secrets."

geoff.boucher@latimes.com
    Last edited by iggyskier; 01-17-2009 at 04:53 AM.

They'll probably have some way to make the choice of her as the 5th significant, but at the moment, I'm underwhelmed.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

They'll probably have some way to make the choice of her as the 5th significant, but at the moment, I'm underwhelmed.
    Pretty much my exact feeling. The stuff with starbuck/leoban and Dewalla (however you spell it) were far more interesting. Both of them had me going "what the fuck?!"

Yeah, the episode last night was very very disturbing...
    But very much the sort of story telling I expect from the franchise.
    I am underwhelmed by Ellen being the 5th cylon. And whats the deal with Starbuck?
    Considering it's 13 tribes of kobol, 13 colonies, etc. I think there might be one more cylon...
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerstripe40 View Post
    Yeah, the episode last night was very very disturbing...
    But very much the sort of story telling I expect from the franchise.
    I am underwhelmed by Ellen being the 5th cylon. And whats the deal with Starbuck?
    Considering it's 13 tribes of kobol, 13 colonies, etc. I think there might be one more cylon...

The 13th colony has a resurrection ship/planet/device? That's how Starbuck came back, it still works? The body in the crashed viper has not been there for 2k years.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Holy frakin shit.

Still the best show on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Still the best show on TV.
    next episode is going to be crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Pretty much my exact feeling. The stuff with starbuck/leoban and Dewalla (however you spell it) were far more interesting. Both of them had me going "what the fuck?!"
    Yea, but, the choice of ellen as the 5th just adds to the WTF of the Starbuck situation, because the only logical explanation I had about that was that Starbuck was the 5th.

That episode reminded me of lost, lost of questions, not much explaining, but still made me want to watch more.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Gay-da is so dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Gay-da is so dead.
    holy shit holy shit holy shit.

So good.

I cannot wait for Gaeta to get it, either. Gonna be pissed if Sol actually died like that. I am definitely a bit disappointed that the 5th cylon seems to be nowhere though. WTF?

Starbuck is such a badass, too.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    h... I am definitely a bit disappointed that the 5th cylon seems to be nowhere though. WTF? ...
    She arranged the return of Starbuck...
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    She arranged the return of Starbuck...
    did I miss that?? I was in and out during the first 10 minutes of this episode before I actually got to sit down and watch.

Am I the only one who was just bored during the 3rd episode? Make with the exposition already, tell me some story! I got enough political infighting during season 3. I wanna know the deal with Ellen!

Wifey liked it though, so mebbe it's just me...

And how can Baltar NOT be the 13th cylon?
    Last edited by puhisurfer; 02-03-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puhisurfer View Post
    Am I the only one who was just bored during the 3rd episode? Make with the exposition already, tell me some story! I got enough political infighting during season 3. I wanna know the deal with Ellen!

Wifey liked it though, so mebbe it's just me...

And how can Baltar NOT be the 13th cylon?
    baltar has another role in the story- i'm guessing he survives and his child becomes the first of the new generation to continue the cycle. all this has happened before.

weren't u on another thread about your gf breaking her arm this weekend? what's the wifey say 'bout dat?

Remind me which one was his child again? Hera is Athena and Helo's baby.

My Gods

Roslin == Hilary Clinton

Shrill and irritating noise you can't make go away...

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    weren't u on another thread about your gf breaking her arm this weekend? what's the wifey say 'bout dat?
    haha you know the old toast:

"to wives and sweethearts... and may they never meet!"

No, no, I'm not like that. Above post should've read "ex-wifey". But then that's a little more personal than I ever planned on getting with the internet.
    Last edited by puhisurfer; 02-06-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Frak me but I love the Brother Cavil/Number One (Dean Stockwell) character.

Has this great show turned into a Days of Our Lives soap opera? Should the robots leave the humans? Can robots really love each other? Do they get jealous of each other? Will their baby survive? Will the battlestar turn into a base ship with the robot organic gue being spread around? Will the ship then turn on the humans and kill them all or will the human turn into robots? Will the robots & humans live happily everafter Can't they all just give peace a chance?

Dude whats with Admiral Adama turning into a complete alchoholic? Jesus.

Diggen Starbucks new tattoos, HoT! Especially the bird on her arm.

Adama & 1st mate Patchy have always been raging alchies

Gods I hope Baltar dies...

Holy mind-frak, Batman!