Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 66 of 66
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Stevens Pass
    Posts
    81
    you know I tore my ACL in feb a few years back and had surgery in march. By june I was in mexico surfing, may not have been the smartest ideas, but Im not the kind of person that can sit on the beach and watch others get it...I would say, try and keep it mellow, I long boarded because its a bit more timid. But be sure to build the shit out of you legs and you should be fine.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    938
    since basically teh first 20 people to post in this thread said the exact same thing Ill repeat it once again since I guess no one is reading eachothers posts.

    Learning to get up on a surfboard your snowboarding skills wont transfer over but once you get better and start learning to make turns your snowboarding skills will help.

    Should we post that another 15-20 times differntly worded yet again??

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    since basically teh first 20 people to post in this thread said the exact same thing Ill repeat it once again since I guess no one is reading eachothers posts.

    Learning to get up on a surfboard your snowboarding skills wont transfer over but once you get better and start learning to make turns your snowboarding skills will help.

    Should we post that another 15-20 times differntly worded yet again??
    If you'd bothered to read my most recent post you'd know I was asking which was harder on the knees and if anyone had experience surfing after ACL surgery..thanks

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    under echo, over garage
    Posts
    105
    I spent a week/ 10 days surfing in Hawaii 6 months out from ACL surgery. I was more or less new to surfing, w/ some experience, but it was early spring waves/ north shore/ nw swell = not small, respectable surf. I didn't feel the need for a brace and never felt like I was doing something bad for the injury. It actually felt very therapeutic for the knee, along with swimming. The hardest part was, no surprise, popping up. It was difficult for me to get my knee all the way under my body, and to get leverage to stand. I made up some cockamamie other way to do it, but enjoyed it very much.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On the beach somewhere
    Posts
    574
    I am not that good, but was surfing about 4 months post-op(full ACL/torn MCL/removed some lateral miniscus.)

    The first pop-up was sketch and I definately felt it in the knee...but it felt fine afterwards and still does 2 years after surgery. Surfing just doesn't have as much sustained wear/high impact on the knees as winter sports.

    I waited nearly a year to ski. That was real sketchy and I was afraid to try a lot of stuff. I could also barely walk by the end of the second week. Was real lazy on the rehab though.

    Also went snowboarding that week. Was worse than surfing by a lot, but better than skiing. Except through the crud. That was fucking hell.

    good luck dude. And fuck soccer. That shit is the devil on the knees.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fart Louderdale
    Posts
    643
    Just to make snowboarding harder I always start every run prone, pop up then strap in.

    I used to get the funniest looks up on Baldy.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    not close enough
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Snowboarding - weight forward
    Surfing - weight back
    End of comparisons.
    Completely wrong! Weight back and you will lose all of your speed, weight too far forward and you will not be able to make your bottom turn (or any others). You want to be fairly balanced, and shifting your weight slightly forward or back depending on what you are trying to do at that specific moment (generate speed, make a bottom turn, slash the lip, etc.)

    Pretty much everything else you learned snowboarding you can throw out the window. The hardest (and most important parts) are getting dialed into the board you are on (getting it on plane when paddling), wave positioning, timing, and duckdiving.

    Don't try and start off on a thin, low volume short board. Long boards are okay, but if you're decently athletic w/ good balance, try a medium length 7'6'' ish) funshape and progress to a shorter board from there. Good luck, and prepare to take a good beating. Just keep getting after it and you will figure it out with time on the water.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    not close enough
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Snowboarding is gay.

    Surfing, as in standing up on a shortboard, gun, or towboard is not.

    Snowboarding = bodyboarding

    Skiing = stand up surfing on a shortboard, gun or towboard.


    Don't hate me 'cause it's true.
    Amen to that. This guy speaks gospel.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2
    Sorry for being a thread necromancer.

    I found this board and thread via google. Going through the pages i noticed you've been mentioning torn ligaments and tendons and stuff.

    I have an old knee injury from skateboarding but i have no idea how bad it is. I've had some nasty falls where i twisted my knee on a skateboard and most recently on a snowboard. I can feel the weather change, sometimes my knee sort of gets stuck and i need to "pop it" so the pain can go away and i can move it again, but i dont think i ever lost balance because of it.

    I started snowboarding last season, but i did some 25 days then, and this season i had some 50 days in various conditions. 5 weeks of that were consecutive, but with an injury that reduced my performance a bit. Riding pow is a bit tiresome and painful in the beginning but later i get pretty comfortable with it. Landing a cliff drop is also a bit tricky because i dont have the confidence to land in a proper stance, but still i try and i was able to save my knee from any damage.

    When i tried wakeboarding on the cable, it was a bit tricky to get off the platform since back leg would feel very weak.

    Anyway, i might be going to honolulu and spending a few months there and i would definitely like to pick up surfing, at least so i don't go crazy until the next snow season.

    What about instructors, lessons and stuff? I was pretty stable on a snowboard when i first stood on it and i presume it was a skateboarding thing. I knew my stance (goofy) and i could stand on it, but my weight distribution was horrible, plus i could do a backside turn far more easily than a frontside one. I took one lesson, and then i worked alone on fixing my mistakes. This season i took no lessons but i did ride with a friend of mine who was an instructor, he would give me a tip or two occasionally but mostly we were just riding together and i payed close attention to the way he did it.

    BTW my switch is still horrible, i can do a red slope at an average speed, but i have to be careful and im not really comfortable yet. Sometimes i land 180s off piste just to fall down a few meters afterwards because in my head im still riding backwards instead of switch.

    I presume that a lot of people have the stance issue when they start snowboarding or surfing, because most of us have a dominant side, right? Could you say that you have some advantage if you know that you're regular or goody, and feel comfortable balancing on a plank standing sideways?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Completely wrong! Weight back and you will lose all of your speed, weight too far forward and you will not be able to make your bottom turn (or any others). You want to be fairly balanced, and shifting your weight slightly forward or back depending on what you are trying to do at that specific moment (generate speed, make a bottom turn, slash the lip, etc.) .
    Well obviously you need to stay balanced, but if your front foot is 1/2 way back from the nose, your weight by definition is back. To turn a snowboard you put your weight forward and kick the tail around, to turn a surfboard you put your weight back and kick the nose around. Just try turning a longboard with your weight forward, it can't be done. Snowboarding in powder comes close To surfing because you have to keep your weight back to keep the nose of the board up.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    11,837
    Quote Originally Posted by GheePup View Post
    Once up and riding on the face of a blue-green face of a wave for the fleeting few seconds of your existence you will understsand. There is nothing like it.
    well, if they're only blue-green, any mag could slay that

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2
    Kick the tail of a snowboard? I thought this is likely to lead to catching an edge and nasty faceplants.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    63
    I GREW UP ON THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST, AND THE ONE FEELING I GET FROM SNOWBOARDING THAT REMINDS ME OF MY SURF STOKED DAYS IS THE ANTICIPATION AND EXCITEMENT YOU GET FROM A BIG POWDER DAY, I FEEL LIKE ITS 25 YEARS AGO AND IM DAWN PATROLING MY FAVORITE POINT BREAK GLASSY AND DOWN THE LINE

    OTHER THEN THAT, THERE ARENT MANY SIMILARITIES, AND THATS NOT A BAD THING IMHO

    IN SNOWBOARDING YOUR SLIDING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN THX 2 GRAVITY, AND ITS ALOT MORE CONVENIENT SINCE THERE ARENT NEARLY AS MANY VARIABLES THAT A MOUNTAIN CAN THROW AT YOU AS THE OCEAN CAN

    IN SURFING ITS THE ENERGY OF THE WAVE YOURE RIDING, TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONCEPT. AND YOU HAVE TO BE ONE DEDICATED MOFO TO BE A LIFE LONG SURFER. AT A POINT IN MOST SURFERS ARE GONNA LOOK AT THE CROWDS AND THE CONDITIONS AND SAY "I'VE GOT MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO THAN TO LOOK FOR GOLD AND COME AWAY WITH DIRT, ILL KEEP MY MEMORIES."

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by COUSINELVIS View Post
    IN SNOWBOARDING YOUR SLIDING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN THX 2 GRAVITY, AND ITS ALOT MORE CONVENIENT SINCE THERE ARENT NEARLY AS MANY VARIABLES THAT A MOUNTAIN CAN THROW AT YOU AS THE OCEAN CAN
    Whaaa...Kinda depends on your mountain...just sayin

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Surfing is easier, the water is warm, the only thing you need our board short and sun cream, no chair lifts come on the list goes on but ut I like snowboarding too. surfing seems safer because there are many beaches with plenty of people and lifeguards, compared to the immensity temptation of deserts of snow waiting to be explored by a brave snowboarde.Snowboarding is the most expensive because you need to buy a ski lift plus insulation for cold weather. Snowboarding is a lot more fun!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NOYFB
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by faerrleah View Post
    Surfing is easier, the water is warm, the only thing you need our board short and sun cream, no chair lifts come on the list goes on but ut I like snowboarding too. surfing seems safer because there are many beaches with plenty of people and lifeguards, compared to the immensity temptation of deserts of snow waiting to be explored by a brave snowboarde.Snowboarding is the most expensive because you need to buy a ski lift plus insulation for cold weather. Snowboarding is a lot more fun!
    ^ Don't know if this is a spambot or written by an 8 yr old but either way it's kinda funny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •