Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend a used playboat?

I'm in the market for a used playboat. I want to get into something thats going to be able to do basic shit, cartwheels, wavewheels etc. Haven't really had the chance to get in a boat that would allow me to attempt a loop, so I don't know what they are like, but would love to be able to do them.

I'm looking for something in the $500 range. Anybody recommend something that would be worth looking at?

My dimensions :
    5'10"
    190 lbs

Boatertalk seems to be a good place to look. But its just been so long since I have looked at playboats, I'm overwhelmed by the menu. Help a brotha out....

I have a 2003 Wavesport EZ. It has not seen much action in the past 2 years. Its in great shape, only a hand full of river runs on. If this is somthing you are looking for let me know. It needs to move.

edit: you box is full.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Check out the Necky Chronic, they are a great playboat for your size and reasonably forgiving. You can find them used for about what you are looking to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow
    Boatertalk seems to be a good place to look. But its just been so long since I have looked at playboats, I'm overwhelmed by the menu. Help a brotha out....
    Post this same inquiry over there, I'm sure you will get plenty more responses.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I should have mentioned the boat that that I have right now is WS Big EZ, thanks though Andy.

Necky is definitely a brand that I had not really considered, have to look into the Chronic, sounds dope.

I would recommend a Pryanna (sp) S6F.

I love mine, it loops so easily, cartwheels like no other and did i say fast as f**k on a wave.

I will sell ya mine for $500 as I am upgrading to a 420.

let me know if ya interested.

Dagger Kingpin. You might be able to cram yourself into a 6.2. I'm in a 6.3 coming off a BigEZ (Which I hated with all my heart).
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    Dagger Kingpin. You might be able to cram yourself into a 6.2. I'm in a 6.3 coming off a BigEZ (Which I hated with all my heart).
    Going to have to go with Bakerboy and give the Kingpin a I'm 6' 200# and in the 6.3. Doubt you'll get into a 6.2, plus with your weight, you don't want to. I've owned a Big EZ a few boats ago and thing the Kingpin is tits. Might want to check out the LL Vision 56, Chronic, S6F 192, and a couple others coming out this year too but I think the Kingpin will be your best bet. And look for the non-Icon if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

One of my kids is 6'2", 185 lb., and paddles a Vision 56. Although it's been a pretty good boat for him, he can't use any foam in the bow and still get his feet in. This leads to some ankle pain at times. He's interested in the Wavesport Project 60, but, you wouldn't be able to get one of those used.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    Yeah the BigEZ has seen its days, it was a great boat for me but I am ready to take'r to the next level.

Here's kinda what I have had my eye on:

Kingpin 6.3
    Chonic (now after reading a few reviews on Boattalk)
    LL Big Wheel or Pop
    Jackson SuperStar or 2Fun

The Pop seems like it might be a bit outdated now?

Whats the outfitting like in the Kingpin, any complaints?

Oh yeah....BB...we need to make the Lochsa rendevous happen this year huh?

Are you looking for a strictly park n' play boat or something just a little more playful than your BigEZ? They're is quite a big difference these days btw the two (i.e. some I feel comfortable boating up to 4+/5- while in others I'd have my hands full in just class 4). I sort of like my WS T2 (you'd need a T3) that I currently have- it is super stable and surfs/cartwheels great in small features, but is an f'in pig and is one of the slowest boats I've paddled.

A couple I would recommend:

WS ZG54: Good boat, fast, loopable, cartwheels, decent stability

Jackson Superstar: Haven't paddled this, but here great things (and it doesn't leak!) I've paddled the Fun series and they are great, but not quite as playful.

Dagger Crazy 88: This is a good example of a strict park and play boat. I didn't like it.

WS EZG50: This is a combo between the ZG and the EZ. More stability than the ZG. I like this boat. If you got a 50, you could probably throw it around pretty good. A bit harder to loop.

Your probably not in need of a new creeker at the moment, but if you ever look into getting a new one, buy a LL Jefe. Awesome boat.

Happy buyin.

Sorry, seems like I keep leaving out bits of information.

I am looking for something more park and play-ish. I will probably keep my BigEZ for bigger water where I don't feel like paddling my creeker and am afraid of taking a beating in a spud boat.

However that said, I'm pretty confident with the core rivers that I mostly run: Gallatin, Boulder, Lochsa, Alberton Gorge Clark Fork etc.....that I could run a mini-me boat and do just fine.

And the big kicker is the new wave in town in Missoula. I feel the need to throw down

I really liked the Riot Turbo for a "one quiver" boat.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow
    I will probably keep my BigEZ for bigger water where I don't feel like paddling my creeker and am afraid of taking a beating in a spud boat.

However that said, I'm pretty confident with the core rivers that I mostly run: Gallatin, Boulder, Lochsa, Alberton Gorge Clark Fork etc.....that I could run a mini-me boat and do just fine.

And the big kicker is the new wave in town in Missoula. I feel the need to throw down
    Crazy 88 is out at your size. If you buy a Kingpin, you won't paddle your Big EZ any more. The outfitting is good if you get the non-Icon version. I would stay away from the Superstar if you want to cartwheel, it's more loop oriented. The EZG series is more hybrid river runner/play so doesn't sound like it would work either. The ZG54 might be cool. I have a buddy who throws down in his and likes it too-this guy could throw down in a Coleman cooler if he wanted. If you are thinking Wave Sport, maybe check out the ZG over the T series.

As for a Lochsa roundup, give me a shout, I'm down in Boise.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Playboating is for pussies.

Just kidding...I am in the market for a new playboat too. I still have an Ultrafuge I bought new...paddled it exactly 1 time last year. I figure if I get a newer playboat I might actually stop once or twice instead of always driving past the Lochsa.

Oh, and Freak...make sure you check out the board in the University Center - it's definitely the spot where boats go to be sold in Missoula.

playboat

Whats the wave in missoula supposed to be like? If you see yourself spending a lot of time there you should consider what kind of feature it will be.

For your location I would think about a good wave boat. Get something that will accelerate and carve on a wave.

The Necky or a Riot Air would be a good boat, especially if you are going to be keeping your bEZ. Although it isn't a very good river runner, I have no problems with my Air on stuff like the lochsa or gauley. If you want a boat that will kick your ass and keep you guessing, the Air is a lot of fun.

Boats like the kingpin or s6f aren't bad boats, just not as fun on something like pipeline. Whats the volume on the Chronic? If it floats you ok that might be your best bet.

necky orbit fish

necky orbit fish is a sure bet. favorite boat ive ever owned, fits the big boys better than most of the spuds out there, and it is fast. im about the same size as you, inch taller five pounds lighter. very comfy, much more comfortable than the zg 54 i was paddling prior. if you can find one for the same price as a chronic, or even a little more, go with the ofish

only problem is that its a necky, as far as company wise, they dont really support their whitewater brand all that much and customer service, warranty, new parts can be a pain in the ass

faster than any other boat out there, check it out. sicko on waves, still cartwheels

Quote Originally Posted by nate s
    Boats like the kingpin or s6f aren't bad boats, just not as fun on something like pipeline. Whats the volume on the Chronic? If it floats you ok that might be your best bet.
    Good point...lotsa waves around there. A wave boat won't be as good to learn to cartwheel in but you have a lot of waves around.

If you're looking for a wave boat, you simply cannot do better than a Necky boat. If you're looking for a boat that can do it all, the Kingpin is the way to go. I've paddled some stupid big water in my 6.3, and realistically, I'd rather get beaterd in my Kingpin than most any other boat. The thing is with a spud, if you weigh enough, you'll get flushed out faster than some other longer/higher volume boat. Conumdrum is right... You really shouldn't hang on to your BigEZ for any reason, as you'll never paddle it again after getting into a Kingpin, and if you're looking at a quiver, get something short and stubby and something far faster than a bigEZ for waves. Like I said, and I say it again, the Kingpin is amazing even in big water/creeking type scenarios. Then again, I just need a different creek boat that actually has aggressive edges other than my Necky Blunt.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Does the Chronic still have that bulkhead that just kinda "floats"? I was in one last summer and the foam bulkhead kepts getting knocked out.
    If you liked the EZ, what about trying to locate a used WS ZG?

I would really look into LL pops(maybe even cheaper than your price) or big wheel. I think play boat wise, from the pop on LL are good. They are just edgy as all get out. As long as I have my beach ball in, the pop lops like a champ. First time in bigger water on the numbers this year I was caught off gaurd in mine. But I had also just gotten out of my creek boat everyday for the previous week.
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't

OK...demo, demo, demo. People like different types of boats. Different boats excel at different types of features (waves/holes) and moves (loops/wheels/dynamic wave tricks). Personally, I hate the Kingpin. The outfitting sucks ass and it leaks like a seive. Obviously others disagree. Also, some boats have a great design but don't fit i.e I'm 2" taller and 25lbs lighter so the same boat isn't gonna work for you. Don't get a boat that's too small. It'll be easier to throw down but will flush more easily and have a tough time staying on a wave. There are so many variables that it is hard to recomend a boat, I paddle a Jackson 4-Fun but I'd rather play my way down a Class IV than hang with the brah's in the eddy P-n-P.

Bit of a thread hijack here...
    Foggy...how do you like the Jackson boat? In particular, do you like the outfitting? The foot bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    OK...demo, demo, demo. People like different types of boats. Different boats excel at different types of features (waves/holes) and moves (loops/wheels/dynamic wave tricks). Personally, I hate the Kingpin. The outfitting sucks ass and it leaks like a seive. Obviously others disagree. Also, some boats have a great design but don't fit i.e I'm 2" taller and 25lbs lighter so the same boat isn't gonna work for you. Don't get a boat that's too small. It'll be easier to throw down but will flush more easily and have a tough time staying on a wave. There are so many variables that it is hard to recomend a boat, I paddle a Jackson 4-Fun but I'd rather play my way down a Class IV than hang with the brah's in the eddy P-n-P.

Quote Originally Posted by igBand
    Bit of a thread hijack here...
    Foggy...how do you like the Jackson boat? In particular, do you like the outfitting? The foot bag?
    I love the backband (rope system) and the footbag. If you point your toes straight in your play boat, the bag is the only way to go. The only people I've heard complain are either really short or didn't use it properly. I replaced the hip pads w/ mini-cell, I just like it better. Inegrated thigh braces really lock you in.

I have yet to find a foot system (plastic footpods/bulkhead or foam blocks) that I feel comfortable in a boat. I'll have to demo a Jackson this spring. Or save myself $700 and just buy one of the footbags for some retrofitting. Many thanks for the input.
    FreakofSnow...good luck finding a boat.