Thread: DIY Body Work

DIY Body Work

Seems like there are a fair number of knowlegable gear heads here and Toyota nation is a pain in the ass to search.

I've done a fair amount of DIY auto stuff over the years and I've got to replace the passenger front fender and door on the 95 Camry my kid has banged up. Damage iis only skin deep and the car still runs fine.

Seems simple enough and would save what looks to be a grand or two. I can get the parts in the appropriate color for about $400 from a high end salvage yard nearby.

So .. anyone ever swap out fenders and doors on an early 90's toyota camry or corolla? Am I going to want to kick myself in the face once I get started? Or is it realistic for DIY?
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Sould be pretty straight forward. Door alignment may be the only pia.An impace drivr is usefull for the hinge screws

That's what I'm thinking. With a Toyota I don't expect to need a left handed dankas wrench to get a hidden bolt loose but you never know.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Never done it to a Toyota, but I have changed fenders and doors on a couple Subarus and it is a breeze. The door can be a two person: one to hold the door in place and the other to drive in the bolts.

If the kid bent thhe frame at all, this job becomes much more difficult. I once re-alligned the frame on my subaru with a ratcheting hand winch attached to a light pole and it straightened out enough to make the door and fender job work.
    another Handsome Boy graduate