TR: An attempt at some NC stokage - Hawksnest 2-15-06

No epic deep or steep pow shots here. Just a few pics from a fun day at Hawksnest so go easy on me. If nothing else, this should help a lot of you appreciate what you have nearby.

I had not been up there in while, and they recently opened up one of the better trails around here so I decided it was time to pay them a visit. I woke up kind of late for my 2 hour drive and arrived just after 10, but I still got my front row parking

It was nice bluebird weather and got up to 42 F. The snow was still fast in the morning and it was a good day for taking pics.

It is rarely crowded at Hawksnest and today was no exception even on ladies free day

Top Gun recently opened. It was fun straightlining from the top when nobody was on it (the challenge is not to wipe out on the rollers)

Some fresh, untracked, man made NC ice

There is usually not much reward for poaching in NC

Later, I met up with some of the employees who had just built up a 6 ft quarter pipe/wall ride (this is what you do for fun around here)

Jim Bob has the first successful attempt

Wouldn't it be more fun with a picnic table on top? We thought so and with a table, a couple 2x4s, and a little shoveling we had an even better set up

Hank tests it out and it seems sturdy enough

Sean and the steezy sweater

Ian fucking killed it on the table

On my best attempt at getting to the top of the table I felt like I was going to fly way over the top, so I leaned back and did a sweet back flip to head pogo move. No pic unfortunately.

This crazy dood was throwing front flips off this very small bump and jumping through trees

When the day session ended we all went to the bar upstairs (which I have grown rather fond of this season) and drank until the night session. Most only made a few runs before deciding conditions were better at the bar, but I stayed out a while longer. Top Gun is even more fun to straightline at night.

As rare as powder of any sort is around here, there was actually a 12" pow day at Beech last Sunday and I missed it by a day and had to work. The forcast was for 8" Saturday and we only ended up with 2 to 3 and then it dumped that night. It's hard to believe, but they normally they would have groomed it down and the groomer actaully broke down that day. I can't imagine riding deep pow here, but maybe one day I will get lucky.

(please turn on sarcasm meters) Was that not the most extreme TR ever?
    On snow days for 05/06: 43

looks better then nothing
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey
    looks better then nothing
    Thats what it all boils down to. And you still get some practice and keep in shape for the real trips.

at least you're out there skiing and having fun. take what you get and enjoy yourself, that's what it's about. looks like it was a good time

haad coah! nice! and that is way better than what i've got access to here in IL.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

looks like a killer mtn dude. i think i might pay it a visit one day really soon.
    where in nc is it?
    BOOOMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Markhpnc
    (please turn on sarcasm meters) Was that not the most extreme TR ever?
    With all that gnar, why'd you travel to UT/Jackson?
    I love the steezy sweater!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

seriously, that was a coool TR

thanks dood!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Coverage there looks better than in southern NY, which is not really covered at the moment.

Right on! I love building ghetto jibs that turn out to be the most fun. It reminds me of an apartment building I used to live at in Idaho that was on a steep hill, and after a big storm I built a jump in the back yard area to do 180's and 360's, then a skateboarder kid from accross the street saw me and brought over a grind rail. We sessioned all afternoon.

Sweet TR, man - that's what it's all about; havin' fun and sharing the stoke!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

bomber TR dood.

The Hawk isnt looking too bad. My sources tell me they might be getting some more snow this week.
    Nice TR
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/

If I had a nickel for every twelver I have consumed in that parking lot.... I'd have at least enough to buy one more twelver...

Nice Mark... Small, icy ski hills or not, NC is a great state! At least it has some icy ski hills... and some of the best beaches in the States. Everything in between isnt too shabby either.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Good stuff Mark, you know how to get the shots.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Hey, my regular mountain is in the Poconos. This is TR I can relate to!!
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

Cool shit. Better than the New England/NY cats whining about the weather in a place where the weather notoriously sucks. Props for the positive attitude. Way to git sum!
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Knockneed Man

If I had a nickel for every twelver I have consumed in that parking lot.... I'd have at least enough to buy one more twelver...

Nice Mark... Small, icy ski hills or not, NC is a great state! At least it has some icy ski hills... and some of the best beaches in the States. Everything in between isnt too shabby either.
    Score! Another TGR peep who has been to the resorts here.

Quote Originally Posted by teledave
    Good stuff Mark, you know how to get the shots.
    Thanks Dave, but you of all people know I just use the take about 300 shots and hope to get a few good ones method. It helps my little cam if the sun is out too. I am trying to figure out how they get some of the shots on here, but I think it requires lugging around substantially more camera than I am willing to carry.

Well done. Any hill can be fun if you've got people with you that easily give into peer pressure. Oh, and alcohol.

Last edited by sanjuanworm; 02-20-2006 at 11:52 PM.
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

---------
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by Markhpnc
    you of all people know I just use the take about 300 shots and hope to get a few good ones method.
    Well, you do always get the shot and thats what counts!
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Knockneed Man
    Everything in between isnt too shabby either.
    There's nothing worth a shit in North Carolina between the mountains and the beach except barbeque...
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    I'm going to start by punching myself in the nuts.