Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North of South, South of North, West of East

The SkiNC Utah Summit

First off, I want to thank all the maggots that made this possible. Especially, skiguide & skiingbear for hooking me up with the prototype short BRO’s to try out, Buzzworthy for his Snowbasin guiding skills and general safety orientation, and flykdog for showing us around Powder Mountain in less than optimal visibility and weather conditions.

Also, be warned this will be a long multipart thread with lots of pictures none of which are really spectacular or particularly gnarly. We’re a bunch of gapers from the Southeast who post on a messageboard at SkiNorthCarolina.com that came out to Utah to have some fun, plain and simple. So without further adieu….

The SkiNC Utah Summit

So somewhere around July or so last year, GreshamB came up with this hairbrained idea that we should get a trip together from the messageboard to Utah. It sounded like a good idea at the time, 5 or 6 people from here heading off to Salt Lake in search of good times and pow. Well, things kind of exploded and all of a sudden 20 or so folks were booking flights and hotel rooms and the SkiNC UT Summit 2006 was born.

Fast forward to Jan. 28 and the first of the crew was leaving out of Atlanta early in the AM after pulling an all night party session. Knowing that Mr.Stinky has the propensity for overindulging, we had previously prepared the official “Mr. Stinky Pass Out Pillow” which was awarded to him on the flight out of Atlanta.

A few hours later we were treated to this view on our approach into Salt Lake.

Bags were gathered and we anxiously awaited the arrival of our shuttle to the car rental place. Upon the shuttle’s arrival you should have seen the driver’s face when our group just kept coming from everywhere with more and more bags for him until finally he conceded that he couldn’t load us all in his bus so he would take just the drivers and then we could come back and pick everyone else up.

Bowen567, Mr. Stinky, Teledave

After a quick stop at the La Quinta to change we made it up to Brighton about 2 PM. I met up with skiguide and SkiingBear and picked up the prototype short BRO’s from them. SkiGuide and SkiingBear seemed to be concerned that Mr. Stinky was not his usual self, I can assure them now that the real Mr. Stinky showed up a bit later in the evening. It had been snowing the previous night and throughout the day. It was still snowing steadily, a portent of things to come.

Dave with BRO’s

Geared up and ready to go we chose to hit the Millicent lift until it closed down and then head over to the center mountain after they shut that lift down for a touch of night skiing. Bowen567 asked if we were going to hit something easy to warm up, hah! No time for that with the 2 best lifts on the mountain closing down in 2 ½ hours. Excellent conditions on Millie, while it was fairly tracked by the time we got there, there were still some good stashes to hit.

MBlacky & Snowbird

Teledave

Markhpnc

Brighton Vid Log In is: teledave@gmail.com Password: gaper

At 4:30, Brighton goes into night skiing mode with the main lift being the Crest Express. After a few runs around the groomers, we all thought that the area off of the main trails looked pretty inviting. We started hitting the trees off of the runs on the lower half of the mountain, taking it easy at first and then going deeper and deeper into them. The white of the snow shone up from the ground silhouetting the trees, point your skis toward the light places and avoid the dark spots. Honestly, this was some of the best skiing of the trip. The snow was feather light, thigh to waist deep, and the mystery of skiing through the trees in the darkness was exhilarating. By now, the snow is coming down hard; nuking as we would get used to saying.

Teledave dropping into the trees

We finished out the day with some beverages, stories and laughs at Molly Green’s before heading down the canyon back to Salt Lake City.

Molly Green’s

SkiNC has arrived in Utah (GreshamB & SkiMastercraft)

Back at the LaQuinta we got our stuff packed away, set up departure times for tomorrow, made some phone calls. Some of us headed off to Hooters for a bite not knowing that it was Mr. Stinky's Birthday, but that’s another story and as they say what happens in Utah stays in Utah.

After our Hooters trip we had one last pilgrimage to make in the city,

Nothing like a dozen Southern boys invading a Utah liquor store, the highlight was when the first of our party made a purchase and the clerk asked to see everyone’s ID. All of a sudden SkiNC’ers were coming from everywhere, the look on the clerks face was priceless.

Back to the LaQuinta and bed, dreams of a powder day at Snowbasin dancing in our heads.

To be continued…… (sometime tomorrow)
    Last edited by teledave; 02-16-2006 at 06:37 PM.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

YAY WOOHOO...BRING ON PART II!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    I'm going to start by punching myself in the nuts.

20 NCers in Utah. That is the shit freakshows are made of.

Good start...looking forward to the rest.

We awoke to snow reports of 9 inches of new snow at the ‘Basin. We loaded up and headed out from the LaQuinta to rendevous with Buzzworthy, our Snowbasin guide for the day. As it turns out it was a fairly crowded day at the ‘Basin, which translates into 800-100 people there and actually having to let a couple of other people onto the lift before you.

The 9 inches at the ‘Basin was not the fluff of LCC/BCC, it was a heavier windbuff that you really wouldn’t break into very much unless you slowed or stopped. Visibility was just like it has been every time I have skied the ‘Basin, crap. I’ve been there 3 times and still haven’t seen the mountain. Oh well, I’ll take powder over scenery any day. We started off on the Needles Ganjola and worked it over to the Strawberry area, finishing up the day with some laps on John Paul.

‘Bird

Teledave

There’s seems to be some sort of meeting or conference happening here, but I am sure I don’t know what that’s all about.

The closest we came all week for getting everyone together for a group photo. GreshamB aka AtomicTwinStix is giving the moose a nice scratch on the ass.

Snowbasin Message

On the way down the mountain we had to stop at the Sinclair to pick up some beers (weak as they may be), when who did we run into walking out with around 4 cases between us but the local po-po. Fair warning was given regarding the dangers of drinking and driving in Utah and we assured him that we had no such plans in mind.

Until we left the parking lot.

The skies were clearing on the way back to Salt Lake. There was no snow in the forecast overnight so what in the world were we going for tomorrow.

A plan was hatched to road trip to Jackson Hole, 10 or so of us were gung ho to hit it. 22 inches in the last 48 hours, 12 more in the forecast for tomorrow, how could we not road trip it? Well, that was until the 2AM wake up call. When the time the 2AM wake up call rolled around Mr. Stinky and Gresham bailed, when I heard MBlacky in the bathroom chanting to the porcelain god I figured he was done for but he rallied and we were ready to roll. By the time we left 10 had become 5, and the Jackson Hole Fab 5 was born.

At 3:15AM the 'Burban rolled out of SLC with myself, MBlacky, 'Bird, Markhpnc, and cbkoontz on our way to Jackson Hole WY.

Leaving SLC Vid Log In: teledave@gmail.com Password: gaper

Before the slackers even woke up we were in a totally different world.

Nothing like rolling along on snow covered roads through Hoback Junction watching TGR flix on the DVD with the windows rolled down as the sun comes up. Just as an FYI, if you are planning a long road trip with a bunch of guys make sure no one has chili for supper the night before.

350'ish miles (around 150 or so on snow covered roads) and 5 hours later we were in the parking lot at Teton Village. The report said they had received 8" of new snow overnight to go along with the 22" they had received over the prior 48 hours. Winds were heavy, with Sublette on hold and the possibility of others being closed as well. A light snow was falling.

Time to hit the tram line.

Obligatory Safety Message Gaper Tourist Pic

Greetings from the Tram Line

First run Rendevous Bowl to the Hobacks. Rendevous was windbuffed, not exactly powder but lots of fun. Once we got off of the ridge the winds died down considerably though and that windbuff became powder that got deeper and deeper the farther down the mountain we went.

As the day went along more tram laps were done as well as some laps around the Thunder and Sublette chairs. More Rendevous and Hobacks, Tower 3 , Expert ,and Alta Chutes, Cheyenne and Laramie Bowls. They were all good from the start. Met up with kb1dqh randomly in the lift line. He tried to talk us into to staying, if MBlacky didn’t have to catch a plane the next morning in SLC I probably would have made an executive decision that the roads were too treacherous and we should stay the night in Jackson.

Oh, did I mention that it was lightly snowing when we got there? Well that light snow got heavier and heavier as day went by, over 12" easily fell during the day. Boot deep powder turned into thigh deep powder, faceshots were the special of the day and everyone got their share.

HOBACKS
    MBlacky

TD & ‘Bird

‘Bird

Cbkoontz

Hoback Vid

TOWER 3
    Teledave

Bra Tree at the base of the Hobacks, MBlacky and ‘Bird celebrate the last run of the day.

We got on our last tram around 3:15 and sadly said our goodbyes to the red box. The last run of the day was the best, untracked everywhere and DEEP!

The theme of the day

The Fab 5

Obligatory gaper tourist stops were made at the Town Square and The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar before heading back to Salt Lake.

We drove back to SLC in and out of near blizzard conditions.

SLC to JH to SLC, 21 hours
    Gas $90
    Lifties $70 each

Catching Jackson Hole on a powder day and saying goodbye to the Tram:

PRICELESS!
    Last edited by teledave; 02-17-2006 at 04:12 AM.

F-in' awesome so far. Keep it coming!
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

Ha! Southerners. Did you find the Waffle House in Jackson?
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Ahhh you know a bunch of Southern boys can bring it!....lovin' every minute so far TD...keep it coming...

can we expect this to be the 5:00 special every day?

Fuck yeah Dave - you guys just totally hit it weatherwise! What a great TR in progress.

I have met Mr. Stinky, I think, a couple years ago at the UT Mini.. It was for maybe 2 hours in a bar (GMD) and he drank at least 3 pitchers on his own, because I kept filling Dave's beers......

Also, I'd like to go on record saying that Buzz is the safest person I've ever met -- well, maybe BobMc and Basom are co-capitains. Nice "Cigarette Break" picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Fuck yeah Dave - you guys just totally hit it weatherwise!
    Fuggin' Jackpot! It was perfect...High pressure the week before....fresh every day of the summit....high pressure the week after...

Thumbs up

More random pow shots from Jackson

I'll let AtomicTwinStix fill you in on the ladies trip to Solitude while the men went to JH.
    Last edited by teledave; 02-16-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Thumbs up way to get it!

I wanna party with the NC boys... fun lookin trip, ambitious move to jackson, well played...

Very well played on the JH call!

Keep them coming. Great TR.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Thumbs up

Well I have to say I had a damn good time with the NC crew, thanks a ton Dave, Mr. Stinky and crew.

Quote Originally Posted by teledave
    First off, I want to thank all the maggots that made this possible. Buzzworthy for his Snowbasin guiding skills and general safety orientation
    Ha, fooled you! I just went for the pow and made you all follow me.

Also, I'd like to go on record saying that Buzz is the safest person I've ever met -- well, maybe BobMc and Basom are co-capitains. Nice "Cigarette Break" picture!
    No, no, my hands were cold Tip.

One hell of a crew, good times:

And special thanks Mr. Stinky!

I have met Mr. Stinky, I think, a couple years ago at the UT Mini.. It was for maybe 2 hours in a bar (GMD) and he drank at least 3 pitchers on his own, because I kept filling Dave's beers......

......why don't I have any trouble believing this?.....

WORD OF THE SUMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fucking boomber.
    we had a fucking boomber of a day.

Quote Originally Posted by birdstheword
    WORD OF THE SUMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fucking boomber.
    we had a fucking boomber of a day.

JONG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teledave
    blah blah blah
    Fucker, you were supposed to give me the heads up so I could have some photos ready. I haven't even sorted all of my 1000+ pics let alone upload them and then I see some of them on the interweb. Seriously, I should just tell you which ones to post since you have them on your PC At the rate I am going (not going at all) I should have them up my this summer. Keep up the good work my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77
    JONG!!!!
    Well it IS THE fucking word.
    Great TR Dave!!
    Last edited by MARSHALL TUCKER; 02-17-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Feel free to fill in the blanks, Mark. I am seriously lacking on Snowbasin and Alta pics for some reason.

Dingleberry's avatar still mesmerizes me.

Alta & PowMow to come later today. Anyone that wants to host some video let me know, that Snapfish stuff sucks.

dave ive got plenty of alta pics. ill post some up here. pow shots and face shots are the norm of my alta and snowbasin pics.
    summit in 7 days.

good work, if this gets done next year, I may have to integrate it into my plans. It would be great if this was cooridinated with the summit for 07
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

I love this picture! especially the O.C. and the lack of seat belt!

loved your TR nice work, and great timing on the storm!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

dave,
    whats that in your hand????
    i sure hope that not one of mr stinkys tall boys, that kept him from going to jackson hole.....
    boomber pic. i wonder who took that one. bc i dont think thats one of my pics.
    BOOOMBER