Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    And then there's this little gem... ::slaps palm to forehead::
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1410281773.235613.jpg 
Views:	1725 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	158045

This is a tiny baby! Who looks like she's already being choked out. Oh, Jackson...
    I may have slept with you last night, but that doesn't mean I'll ski with you today.

-

When I want advice about a good Planet of the Apes film or maybe how to get the resin out of my bong, I'll come to you okay? But I am not going to take romantic advice from somebody who cannot spell romantic or advice... or bong.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Unfortunately we're not all full of stealth redness like you and don't tuck groomers with a baby on board, dipshit.
    If you can't outrun gapers on a groomer without tucking then you've got bigger problems than this
    Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Radness View Post
    If you can't outrun gapers on a groomer without tucking then you've got bigger problems than this
    Most of the people I know who have had their season ended by gorbys have been hit while stopped in some place "safe" like a lift maze. I would rather take my chances with my progeny in mellow backcountry than inbounds with 300 pound Texicans.

Do people here have experience putting the kid in a pulk or chariot type trailer with ski attachments?

I think I might be the only crazy asshole who thinks fat bike and trailer on skis is a good idea. I'm not sure I will be able to stop going downhill on the stuff behind my house with xc touring boots skinny skis and a trailer trying to run me over.

I've used our chariot with ski attachment for the previous 2 season on both groomed track, and meadow skipping in the highlands. Our little one is still under 30lbs so floatation in all but the softest snow over 12" or so has not been an issue (have thought about installing wider skis but have yet to experiment on that). I've actually found being between the stays of the chariot helps with my balance on the steep and icy xc groomers and have not yet experienced any issues with stopping. Have done this with both the infant sling in the 1st season, and just the regular harness system last season. We have the single width chariot and even with the narrower design it is remarkably stable; the few times I've upended the rig in the snow, the little one experienced no trauma (on the contrary she found it quite entertaining). The only time we use the ergo baby or the backpack is for the really deep days, or in tight terrain that wouldn't allow for the turning radius of the chariot.

We've been using the bike attachment since she fit into the smallest of the bike helmets, and have yet to experience any concerns with her safety due to our style of riding, but YMMV and all that. I would take her behind a fat bike in snow (if I had a fat bike), but not on any track that may have other motorized traffic on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    This is horrible! Letting a baby ride in a pack while you ski tele could turn the kid gay!!! All to satisfy your selfish need for gravity-induced highs...

My old man tele'd with me in the pack, I'm not gay, yet… I'm told I was launched from the pack a few times though.

When that time comes, I certainly plan on skiing with my kid in the pack.

1. I’m bringing this MFer back from the dead!

2. I’m not gay yet...

3. The kid has arrived and I’d like to ski with him in a pack later this year on mellow runs when the sun’s out.

Does anyone have any experience with a good backpack for hiking and skiing?

Does anyone have any experience with helmets for <1 year olds?

If you are of the opinion that skiing with your kid in a backpack is a bad idea, PLEASE quietly move onto another topic. I’m honestly just looking for advise from people with experience doing what I’m interested in doing. Thanks!

We have an Osprey pack, kinda like this one, that works well. Kid + gear gets heavy in a hurry, so it's worth spending some money on a pack with a good waist belt, adjustments, etc. Keep an eye out on craigslist/facebook marketplace. We got our pack used and it was basically brand-new. I get the sense quite a few parents tell themselves they're going to get out hiking with the kid, do it once, everyone hates it, and they quit.

I didn't get the kid in the pack until she was over 2, so I don't have advice on helmets for the very little. I'd be mindful about head control and neck strength if the kid is real young.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I'd be mindful about head control and neck strength if the kid is real young.
    Get out!

He doesn't want to hear it

Didn't you read his post!

Kindly move along!

He's going to do what he wants with no regard for his child!

If you don't like that, get the fuck out of his thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I used the Osprey pack as well. It was a gift from my work at the time. I still see it running around with various families in the valley 10 years on.

Yup kid and gear is heavy - but didn't try any massive missions.

Our hill has (had? - haven't tested it lately) a no kid carrier policy - but we did spring meadow runs together and she loved it. Wasn't going to try it with two so the little kinda missed out.
    Name:  littleM.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  30.5 KB
    Name:  littleM2.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  30.1 KB

2. I’m not gay yet...

3. The kid has arrived and I’d like to ski with him in a pack later this year on mellow runs when the sun’s out.

If you are of the opinion that skiing with your kid in a backpack is a bad idea, PLEASE quietly move onto another topic. I’m honestly just looking for advise from people with experience doing what I’m interested in doing. Thanks!
    I looked around a fair bit and wasn't able to find a helmet that actually fit my girl until she was 2.

Been very pleased with the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 backpack.

If you are of the opinion that skiing with your kid in a backpack is a bad idea...
    When I was skiing with my <1 year old, I figured the negative of his little neck not being able to support a head with a helmet exceeded any benefits (should I crash, and I never crashed). When my kid was a bit older (2 ish) I did put a little helmet on him when he wanted to ride in the pack vs. ski on his own.

It's only a bad idea if you aren't an extremely competent skier. Which I take it you are.
    So giv'er.

Also, looking good Hutz! Look forward to skiing with you in Smiths one day.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Snowbird no longer allows skiers with babies or toddlers in backpacks. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a trend in the industry - or perhaps it already is?

This thread just won't die. It was years ago at Revy they wouldn't even let us ride the Gondi with a kid carrier backpack. Sage was 2 and she skied the cat track down but we had to stow the pack with the lifties, which was fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SKI THE BABIES
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Name:  IMG_8814.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  139.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Get out!

He doesn't want to hear it

Didn't you read his post!

Kindly move along!

He's going to do what he wants with no regard for his child!

If you don't like that, get the fuck out of his thread!
    The lulz!

I very much appreciate everyone’s feedback and real world experiences.

I was disappointed in Snowbird’s policy change this year, but they make a thoughtful case on their website... likely with the help of their lawyers.

We plan take a few rides (no skiing) to the top of the tram for lunch and a beer before heading over to Alta later in the year for some sun and cruiser laps.

I’m looking forward to sharing this amazing community with my son. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Name:  IMG_8814.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  139.6 KB
    <3

up dere

I think it's useful to have a baby on your back to absorb a hit from behind.

Saw dude today. To each their own.

ski the motherfucking babies

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think it's useful to have a baby on your back to absorb a hit from behind.
    Exactly.

I mean, when your baby dies by being crushed and asphyxiated, or due to blunt force trauma, you can always blame anyone but yourself... and besides, you can always make a new one.

Your child is easily replaceable, plus it's fun making new ones, especially when the baby you just had died because you absolutely needed to go skiing..., the really young babies have no personality anyway, and are basically just a leaching inconvenience to your #SkiLife, I mean they're easily replaceable and practically interchangeable.

And don't even get me started on the ones that can't even hold their heads up yet! Amiright! I mean a little shaken baby syndrome never hurt anyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I get the sense quite a few parents tell themselves they're going to get out hiking with the kid, do it once, everyone hates it, and they quit.
    Goddamn ain't that the truth. You've made my shoulders and back hurt just thinking about those days. <shudders>

We got our pack used and it was basically brand-new. I get the sense quite a few parents tell themselves they're going to get out hiking with the kid, do it once, everyone hates it, and they quit.

I didn't get the kid in the pack until she was over 2, so I don't have advice on helmets for the very little. I'd be mindful about head control and neck strength if the kid is real young.
    Took my kid hiking. He wasn't in the mood to walk so I put him in the back pack carrier and he wouldn't stop crying. I gave him a stick to play with and he started bopping me on the head with it and was perfectly happy for the rest of the (short) hike. So re: helmet, make sure you wear yours.

HighWest--don't you realize that telling people on TGR not to post something is a sure way to get them to post it.
    BTW, there's a big difference between skiing a resort with a kid (see Speed Kills thread) and a gentle tour in the backcountry, which I'm guessing is what you're thinking of. And if you can't do that without falling over maybe it's a good thing if your genetic line ended.

2. I’m not gay yet...

I used a Kelly kid carrier to tour and ski with my little. I preferred the Ergo front facing on chest though. If I fell he acted as a cushion.

Actually Ergo was great as his weight was tucked close to my chest and he had a great view w/o being too heavy above my head.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Exactly.

I mean, when your baby dies by being crushed and asphyxiated, or due to blunt force trauma, you can always blame anyone but yourself... and besides, you can always make a new one.

Your child is easily replaceable, plus it's fun making new ones, especially when the baby you just had died because you absolutely needed to go skiing..., the really young babies have no personality anyway, and are basically just a leaching inconvenience to your #SkiLife, I mean they're easily replaceable and practically interchangeable.

And don't even get me started on the ones that can't even hold their heads up yet! Amiright! I mean a little shaken baby syndrome never hurt anyone!
    In all honesty, whats the difference between skiing with your kid in a pack on an uncrowded tuesday afternoon groomer, vs biking to the grocery store with your kid in a bike seat?

My niece gets stoked when she gets biked around the neighborhood in a bike seat, i bet she would get just as stoked about putting around a green circle in the sunshine on a nice soft day.