Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Skiing with a baby in your backpack?

In my backpack quest I've come across quite a few kid carriers, and I've also read a few references of people skiing with their baby (<1y/o) on their back.

Common sense seems to say "hell no!" I could see doing that with a 2 or 3 y/o who might actually enjoy it and get something out of it.....

Anybody here do it? What are your thoughts?

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    Sounds like pretty irresponsible parenting to me.

one icey patch and that kid could be pudding in your backpack.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Only if you passed that high school egg drop project with flying colors

I'd test ski with somebody elses baby first, just to reduce the personal involvement a bit.

shane mcconkey attributes riding in his mom's backpack to his early love for skiing. i say do it. i sure will with my kids.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

I think its ok as long as your not on some steep shit or running a DH. Oh and as long as your child likes it.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODSWEATSTEEL
    Sounds like pretty irresponsible parenting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dblatto
    one icey patch and that kid could be pudding in your backpack.
    Yeah, those were my thoughts.

I'm not gettin ready to go out and do it...just was curious what the collective thought about it.

(jesus...forgot how active ski/snowboard was. 6 responses in about 45 seconds....)

been thinking of taking my 10mos old daughter out on a nice spring day. she loves being outdoors and it'll be great to get the family out. just gotta be careful not to fall on your back.
    Old's Cool.

maybe xc skiing would be a better route to go on that one?

A few years ago some dude was skiing with a kid on his back. The kid was not strong enough and his neck broke. Dead kid. Real bummer for all involved. Many ski hills will no longer allow you to ski with a kid on your back anymore. I'm in the "Hell no" camp.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

hahaha, can you image some complete loon dropping into Corbets with an infant on his back?

Just imagine seeing that...

you know what, someone needs to use one of those with a baby doll in the carrier and go to the resort on a busy weekend and figure 11 stuff and huck big and get footage of the gapers having a fit...

that would be funny

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Common sense seems to say "hell no!"
    Common sense is damned right.

As someone who has slipped and fallen while walking in icy conditions with a kid in the pack, leading to minor injury and major fear, I heartily endorse common sense. At least in this instance, and at least for alpine use.

I saw someone skiing with a pack on last weekend, after my wife pointed her out with a derogatory comment about parenting skills. That said, I saw that same woman later and realized that she was on AT gear, treking up and down bunny slopes, and my gut unknotted. So if you trust my gut, I guess bunny slopes might be okay. But forget about a chairlift -- even if you could figure out how to make it work, they probably won't let you on.
    not counting days 2016-17

^^^

there was some warren milleresque footy (maybe skip the -esque, i don't remember) of some guy hammering bumps with a doll in the pack. people screaming at him and the like...

I ski with a baby backpack often...

I usually stay on the lower baby lifts- and take it easy.. I think it is fine...My two year old love it- we bundle her up and she just coos with joy the whole time.

We have a tough traveler backpack and it has a good harness system. Honestly (sounds irresponsible I know) we don't use the harness that often ( int he winter) because our daughter fits in there sooo snugly when she has on all her outside clothes.

http://www.toughtraveler.com/cat3.asp
    Last edited by skiing-in-jackson; 02-14-2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: insert pic
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad

As someone who has slipped and fallen while walking in icy conditions with a kid in the pack, leading to minor injury and major fear, I heartily endorse common sense. At least in this instance, and at least for alpine use.

I saw someone skiing with a pack on last weekend, after my wife pointed her out with a derogatory comment about parenting skills. That said, I saw that same woman later and realized that she was on AT gear, treking up and down bunny slopes, and my gut unknotted. So if you trust my gut, I guess bunny slopes might be okay. But forget about a chairlift -- even if you could figure out how to make it work, they probably won't let you on.
    exactly. wouldn't think of putting my daughter on a chairlift.
    Old's Cool.

why dont they make some with roll cages?

I only took my son out once, that was a fire road touring ski. Very mellow and I kept my skins on on the way down. This was my comfort zone an I could control all the variables possible. There were only three other people on the trail and they were with me. On a hill you are dealing with people you don't know about. How many stories do you know with people hitting others on the hill? That's why I wouldn't ski with a backpack there.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    hahaha, can you image some complete loon dropping into Corbets with an infant on his back?

Just imagine seeing that...

you know what, someone needs to use one of those with a baby doll in the carrier and go to the resort on a busy weekend and figure 11 stuff and huck big and get footage of the gapers having a fit...

that would be funny
    I'm gonna have to try that sometime. come hammering down International at A-basin past all the people on the beach screaming at you. maybe at the CO mini?
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    ^^^

there was some warren milleresque footy (maybe skip the -esque, i don't remember) of some guy hammering bumps with a doll in the pack. people screaming at him and the like...
    Thats funny I would love to see that with all the busy bodies flipping out sweet.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I saw a lady in Sunnyside lift line last weekend with a baby on her back. First thing I noticed was Mom was wearing a helmet and baby had on a hat . How's that for common sense !

Quote Originally Posted by ctarmchair
    And definitely safer than doing the same on XC skis.
    Low speed, soft snow, no one running into you, sounds better than a downhill resort. I survived that horrible parenting
    Elvis has left the building

This year Alpine Meadows stopped letting people on the lifts with kids in packs. Not all lifties know the new rule, so I have seem people out with a kid in a pack.

GI JONG Guest

i ski with my little jennifer on my back all the time, and have never fallen with her strapped to me. she loves it. sounds like you suck at walking.....cluts.

Resort skiing with kid in backpack = f....ing retarded. I know most resorts wouldn't even let you try. I do

Taking a kid in the backpack on a spring tour through the woods then slowly back down the trail = good time.

I can still hear Kaikea laughing and demanding to go faster.