Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

getting ready to head into the Snowbird Glacier first hut trip

using the snugglie before head control. Swan Lake -25* foot of Alaska Range

Second season April Bowl
    I used the backpack all the time, exclusively BC. My wife worked winters and I worked summers. I was the primary care giver. We used to freeze breast milk and I would thaw it in my pocket for feeding during the day. We skied everything. Added a compression stuff sack to the backpack to hold more gear. Be sure to use the harness system our only bad moment was an ejection in breakable crust. The terrain was mellow so I got casual on the harness. Have fun if you are comfortable in your surroundings there is no reason not to use the backpack.
    off your knees Louie

when i was little

When I was little, my parents took me cross country skiing in their backpack. My dad took a fall and I was ejected ten feet into a snow bank. All's well now, but I'd be careful with downhill skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    For an average day of resort skiing, I bring 1 to 1-1/2 dead babies in my pack. For extended tours, 3.
    HSPP.......
    Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths

About 10 years ago I remember reading a story in the newspaper about parents touring with their kid in a backpack, I think near Vail Pass. They toured for a couple of hours, and it was quite a cold day. But, they were warm because they were moving. The baby on the other hand was not moving. First, the baby fell asleep, so the parents thought all was good. But then, the kid froze to death. It was a very sad story.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Really bad idea. While there may be some on this board who survived this, things have changed out there. People get whacked all the time.
    If it's a 2 or 3 year old, it's time for them to be on their own skis. Just stay away from those leashes.

MOstly I just shove her (1yo daughter) next to my ice axe, then cinch the compression straps tightly so she can't slide around too much.

aw some dood taking a kid in a back pack over to the backside @ alta.
    My gf at the time "if you ever even think about doing that i will kill you"

never,ever, ever

we have a 25 month old boy.
    why would you want to? leave your personal selfishness (you took the commitment to have a child, you wont die if you miss a few days...will you?) aside for a little while as well as your will to turn your child into the next dream skier or boarder until later in life.
    isn't it better to wait for the child to grow a bit and take him or her skiing? ours has started skiing on his own this winter on warm, sunny days. skiing is a big word, he will do anywhere from 2 to quite a few runs and then pass onto somehting much more interesting like sledding or building a snowman...
    Why risk injury to the child not to mention yourself. skiing with a heavy kid moving around in a pack - regardless of the pack aint so smart.
    I have seen parents very irresponsibly take their child skiing on cold, windy days. the kid is blue in the pack. they dont move around like you do when skiing they are in the cold, windy air, yes even on your back. many places i know would not let you do it.
    definately think about a different activity to share with your child and family...
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

the benefit vs. potential consequences = dont do it

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    I'm gonna have to try that sometime. come hammering down International at A-basin past all the people on the beach screaming at you. maybe at the CO mini?
    Great idea. Anyone have a baby pack that will be at the beach party?

Around the holidays, I saw some dude in a bogner with a 1yo on his back chasing his 4yo(ripper) down A-lift (legit bump run) at copper. It looked really stupid to me.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

Hey, Britney would do it.

There is a classic story out of Deer Valley from a few years back, about a few guys from Freeze magazine going there, with the intention of getting a photo of patrol pulling their passes.

As the story goes, DV caught wind of it, and had some patrollers dog 'em all day long, but not pull their passes. Apparently among the things they did, was put a lifelike baby doll in a backpack, and repeatedly fall backwards on it, jumping off little terrain features and stuff, in full view of liftlines, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jibco
    Great idea. Anyone have a baby pack that will be at the beach party?
    I got one. I'll probably bring the family if the weather is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jibco
    Around the holidays, I saw some dude in a bogner with a 1yo on his back chasing his 4yo(ripper) down A-lift (legit bump run) at copper. It looked really stupid to me.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 02-14-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo
    I only took my son out once, that was a fire road touring ski. Very mellow and I kept my skins on on the way down. This was my comfort zone an I could control all the variables possible. There were only three other people on the trail and they were with me. On a hill you are dealing with people you don't know about. How many stories do you know with people hitting others on the hill? That's why I wouldn't ski with a backpack there.
    This would be my main concern.

I will likely do it with a well built carrier, and since it'll be my kid, it'll be my choice. I'll also have a sled that I can tow behind me. Do you drive with your child in the car? Do you ever leave a bucket of water around, or turn your back to your child? You must be a bad parent to put your child at such risk There are many hazards in this world.

Obviously I will ski appropriately. I'm a ski patroller and often have others lives literally strapped to a toboggan where if I fall they may be more seriously injured, paralyzed, or even killed. Sometimes these people are very, very young too. I just ski appropriately. Don't judge, just live your life and let me and others live ours.

Skiing with a baby in your backpack?

Is stupid!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

i chime in since i guess i was an "idiot" and skiied a couple of runs at one time or another with both of my kids on my back at the resort . and guess what, my kids are fine....

yes, there are many variables and things that could go wrong skiing with a kid in the pack. but the days i went out were mid-week spring days with maybe 10-20 people on the slopes total and my kids had a blast. my wife was also shadowing my turns behind me to make sure no out of control skier could come near me. would i recommend this to anyone? no not at all. but if you are smart about it, good conditions, minimal crowds, and you are a *strong* skier with experience skiing with a pack or holding heavy items, i don't see why not try a mellow run with a baby. btw, both my kids were 1+ years old at the time.

believe me, i personally felt safer skiing with my kids in a pack... then i have on some of the hikes i have done with them in a pack, when my knees and legs are beat after a 3-4 hour climb/descent. just MHO....

The mere thought of what could happen if someone ran into me would keep me up at night. My kids have been on skis since 3. Before that they had a friggin ball sledding. You want them to love snow - spend 5 bucks and get them a snowsaucer, then find the nearest hill with a runout.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    I will likely do it with a well built carrier, and since it'll be my kid, it'll be my choice.
    Yeah, if you do it in the bc then it's your choice. If you buy a lift ticket at a ski area, then it's not your choice.

Babys make great back protection for those drops where you just can't stomp it clean.

I hear Jamie Pierre uses them. Only heathen ones of course.

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili
    the days i went out were mid-week spring days with maybe 10-20 people on the slopes total and my kids had a blast. my wife was also shadowing my turns behind me to make sure no out of control skier could come near me. would i recommend this to anyone? no not at all. but if you are smart about it, good conditions, minimal crowds, and you are a *strong* skier with experience skiing with a pack or holding heavy items, i don't see why not try a mellow run with a baby.
    Sounds reasonable. It's when the gapers all catch on and think baby backpacks are the new "big thing" that I'd start to worry. My biggest concern would be exactly what you pointed out; the out of control guy. Looks like you have that covered.

totally agreed there are many hazards but why add to them? whats next skydiving beacuse you are a ski diving instructor? if you dont want to be judged dont ask questions ona forum ...daahh
    that's not bad...
    www.nosiesta.com
    IFMGA Ski & Mountain Guide

I think baby in the backpack is a lot different than toddler in the backpack.

A toddler can hold her head up and won't turn into mush if a minor fall/collision did occur.

Bringing up the whole collision point changes my opinion on the matter considerably. Original plan was to try to get her out on the slopes on skis as soon as she was reasonably able to do it and enjoy it (and of course, only if she wants). My back, however, is a considerably safer place to be in the presence of out-of-control skiers.

Ski patrol sleds are used out of necessity....and necessary risks and unnecessary risks weigh in quite a bit differently. Also...it's pretty hard to fall when you're in those tracers -- they're like training wheels.
    Last edited by focus; 02-14-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blondin
    totally agreed there are many hazards but why add to them? whats next skydiving beacuse you are a ski diving instructor? if you dont want to be judged dont ask questions ona forum ...daahh
    yeah skydiving with your toddler is a lot like slowly skiing a green run on an uncrowded slope with them in a back carrier.
    Old's Cool.