REVIEWs of some of next year's sticks!

No one was paying attention to my first thread...I guess my title was lame. But, I'm guessing the following info will be of interest to many of you.

Today a buddy was gracious enough to get me access to the demo day today at Copper...thanks D, you the mang! Anyway, here's a bit of first hand info on some sticks I know many around here have been interested in:

Pontoon: Well, although conditions were far from ideal for this ski, I took it out first as I couldn't help myself. Let me start by saying, the shovels are HUGE. They felt a bit heavy on the lift, but let's face it, these are big skis. However, once you get moving, they don't feel nearly as heavy underfoot. First few turns on hardpack at the top were really odd...the shape of the ski makes it feel like the edges are SUPER sharp, but you can actually turn them just fine if you lay into them a bit and drive them. A majority of soft snow was gone, but I did manage to find a few stashes and get a few good turns in the soft where these belong...SICK. The tips just surf like crazy while the tail stays low. The little bit of soft I found lead me to believe these would be a hell of a ride on a deep day. Tips are very soft and floppy at speed, but it's a pow ski...don't bring it out if the snow's hard. Overall, I'd say the 'toon was interesting and I can't wait to get on a pair again when the snow is right.

Silencer 179: I'm not much of a park skier, but I wanted to make some quick laps on the Silencer to see what K2 is bringing to the table in terms of inexpensive jibby skis. The Silencer, I believe, uses an old Public Enemy shape, but is capped and will cost $299. This ski is super light and SUPER 'turny.' It's also more stable (stiffer) than other similarly priced skis (i.e. Invader, old Fuja), which I think is nice for bigger jibsters on a budget. Anyway, enough with the little skis, let's get to the fun stuff...

Head Mojo 105 191: This ski is dope. I went straight up to Union Bowl so I could open them up a bit and was quite impressed. The mount seemed a bit forward of what I am used to but they skied surprisingly well. The tail was very stable, yet not too stiff that the forward mount was bucking me around. The tips seemed soft at first, but tracked well through chop and the amount of deflection was much much less than I expected. When I found a few untouched turns, the tips seemed to surf, which was also surprising as I wouldn't consider the shovel to be super wide. These are also super fun ripping big turns on the hardpack and edge grip was great. These are notably lighter and softer than predecessors the m103 and Supermojo as they lack the extra metal. Overall, I really enjoyed this ski thinking it would serve as a great one ski quiver, but let's be realistic...who really wants a one pair of sticks??

Atomic Thug 192: Schweet. The sandwich construction of this ski seems bomber. I was stoked to get on these and they didn't disappoint. The lesser sidecut, which I'm a big fan of, was very welcome when I started to let them run and edge grip was quite good once I got a feel for them. More stable feeling than the Mojo in both tip and tail and heavier as well. They track very well yet were agile enough to carry speed in tighter trees. I skied them in the 'back' mount position, which is plenty far forward for me. Overall a very solid and enjoyable ride. I'd say the Thug is similar to the ANT, only a bit heavier and wider.

Nordica Supercharger Blower 193: Fun ski, but not one I would buy for myself. Once again, the conditions weren't ideal and I think this ski would really excel in softer snow. The tips felt softer than the previous two and deflected easier. Super fun on hardpack for such a big ski, they turned well and had great edge grip. Overall, this ski was alright, but just not my favorite.

191 ANT (next year's): Good news! Despite rumors of the ANT being softer next year, it skis virtually the same. The tips are ever-so-slightly softer, but they still tracked as well as any ski out there. This is still one of my favorite skis on the market. Edge grip (although turn radius is huge) is superb. Super stable. There's really nothing I don't like about this ski other than if you mount too far forward, it'll dive, but supposedly the slight change for next year has dialed it in perfectly. If my current pair break, I'll have no qualm with riding a pair of next year's. Stoked!

189 Squad: Holy shit this thing feels stiff when I flexed it before clicking in! I can't imagine what the 194 feels like, which I didn't see. However, when skiing them (mostly on hardpack again), they didn't feel as stiff as I expected. Edge grip felt somewhat funky, but these skis don't like turning anyway. Laterial stiffness was plenty too. I haven't skied the current B4, but have skied last year's 195 B3 and the Squad line is far and beyond in all aspects...I think Rossi did it right. Overall, again, not a ski I would personally choose, but heaps of improvement over prior year's and a straightlining machine!

Skis I really wanted to ski, but were not there: 194 Squad, 194 LPP, 193 EHP

I'm sure there's certain info that I probably left out of my short novel above, so please PM me or ask on here if you have other questions for me.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

This post is worthless without pics!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I f'ing meant to take my camera, but forgot it at home because, as Marshal pointed out earlier, I'm a douche.

nice reviews Vicious

(p.s. ski reviews belong in Tech Talk)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious
    I f'ing meant to take my camera, but forgot it at home because, as Marshal pointed out earlier, I'm a douche.
    Yeah, what the fuck were you thinking. It would of been alot easier to just take picture because graphics are the only thing that matters.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by SquawMan
    nice reviews Vicious

(p.s. they belong in Tech Talk)
    Meh, more people will notice them here. Plus, this is the Ski/Snowboard forum, so I wasn't that far off. I'm such a f*@king JONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    Yeah, what the fuck were you thinking. It would of been alot easier to just take picture because graphics are the only thing that matters.
    Well, in that case, here's a breakdown of how good the skis were:

1. ANT
    2. Thug
    3. Pontoon
    4. Mojo 105
    5. Silencer
    6. Squad
    7. Supercharger

Thanks for the reviews Vicious. Might have to look into a pair of THUGS for next season. How do they compare to the Big Daddy (current or previous)? That is assuming you have skied the BD. Sounds like it was a fun day. Saw a pair of Toons the other day at Flail. The tips looked like they were flopping around pretty good. Mind you this was skiing up to the lift so they obviously were not "at home".
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

Quote Originally Posted by Rippinsick
    Thanks for the reviews Vicious. Might have to look into a pair of THUGS for next season. How do they compare to the Big Daddy (current or previous)? That is assuming you have skied the BD. Sounds like it was a fun day. Saw a pair of Toons the other day at Flail. The tips looked like they were flopping around pretty good. Mind you this was skiing up to the lift so they obviously were not "at home".
    Unfortunately, I haven't skied the BD's, so I can't help. However I can say that the new BD (25 underfoot) is enormous!

well written vicious- thanks!!
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Hey im up at copper all the time. A couple of guys that work at shops in boulder have told me just to say i work for XYZ shop and I can get in the demo pretty easily. Is this true?? If not is there any way i can possibly bullshit my way in. I've noticed a lot of ppl wearing id badges/nametags, would i need one of those??

any help is greatly appreciated, tahnks

Quote Originally Posted by h20ski76
    Hey im up at copper all the time. A couple of guys that work at shops in boulder have told me just to say i work for XYZ shop and I can get in the demo pretty easily. Is this true?? If not is there any way i can possibly bullshit my way in. I've noticed a lot of ppl wearing id badges/nametags, would i need one of those??

any help is greatly appreciated, tahnks
    Some of the peeps working the entrances don't care, but some are sticklers and will definitely hassle you without a badge. You need a badge to leave with the exhibitors and get any skis though...unless you know someone and are sooooper cool!

I skied Whistler with this kid Josh Stack (new to the Atomic team) and Rex, both were on the proto Thug- SICK graphics! Some sort of dreadlocked bodyguard type, they were black, white, olive green and burnt umber. Also, judging by how the guys were skiing on them, and how they wouldn't shut up about them- they are AWESOME!
    Believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    This post is worthless without pics!
    another saying that just made the "fuck-o" list.

nice write up vicious
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Thanks for the informative reviews. Sehr gut!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Good stuff. Thanks.