Thread: SKiing on Waves

SKiing on Waves

I figured I would jump over here for a question as you guys would know best.....With sport limits being constantly pushed, I am wondering if the concept of skiing waves has ever been attempted? with the immergence of tow-in surfing I think this may just work. I actually have an alpine skiing background but would like to hear any feedback.
    Huck.............Sh*t!

I've thought about this. I think it's feasible but I don't think it would be very good. First, there's the binding issue. Surfboards only have wax. Tow-in surfers have a binding of sorts, but nothing as solid as you'd need to control a board with only one foot. Laird Hamilton did some tow-surfing on a board that had a foil underneath it and the board would rise about 20 inches off the surface of the water. When he was doing this he wore something like a ski boot. Not too sure about how the binding system worked though.

You know how snowboarders rotate so much more easily than skiers? That's because they have two points of contact on the board so more leverage. In skiing, I think the "independent suspension" you get from having two independent boards outweighs the advantage you get from that leverage. In surfing, I think that leverage is more important than the "independent suspension" would be.

It could be cool though. My thought would be two planks made of surfboard materials. Perhaps Surftech type epoxy construction could work. The real challenge would be figuring out the boot/binding situation. Remember, whatever you wear will fill w/ water so normal ski boots wouldn't work.

More thoughts on this but my 10-month-old is crawling all over me and demanding attention.
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Laird basically took an airchair (google it) and put snowboard boots and K2 clicker bindings on it. Voilá, the only new type of surfing since, well, surfing.

Didn't Huck Splatterson tow-ski at one point? I remember someone saying it was just like traversing on the hill.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

The real challenge would be figuring out the boot/binding situation
    What about a water ski binding?
    Huck.............Sh*t!

I remember someone saying it was just like traversing on the hill
    I am thinking it might be a bit more like a very dynamic quarter pipe
    Huck.............Sh*t!

Quote Originally Posted by SIN
    What about a water ski binding?
    I don't think it'd hold well enough to keep the boards on rail. I don't know though.

I'm trying to imagine doing a bottom turn. It seems like your feet would wiggle around too much inside something that wasn't pretty solid.
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

I am thinking it might be a bit more like a very dynamic quarter pipe
    That's how I like to imagine it, but hop is probably right. I don't think the body would be positioned properly to work the wave for the speed that's necessary to do full rail turns & the like.

On a surfboard, you can go rail to rail pretty easily because your ankles, knees and hips are all oriented to do so without requiring much upper body movement. On skis, all you'd have is limited ankle and limited hip flex only.

This is kind of why I chose to take up skiing after a life of surfing. I think the body is better positioned on skis than a snowboard for the purose of tearing down the side of a mountain: you're oriented to make the best use of your joints (even though I'm naturally a lot more comfortable on a board). Think about a snowboard on moguls. I think skiing on a wave would be similarly awkward.

If it is feasible, it would really take some doing to get the equipment right. If someone got it dialed, within 5 years kids would be blowing minds. That's how it always seems to work, anyway.

Of course, you'd need a ski to get into the wave since you wouldn't be able to paddle skis. That would limit the number of people that could do it (and also the progression).

I think with some light AT boots on some Prophet 130's or Volkl Sumos you would have the control you would need, just hope your bindings don't prerelease or you'll be out 1 ski. Oh, and were a PFD or you're sinking to the bottom when you go down.

I have seen people wakeboard on a regular snowboard and that worked..

you'd need some hefty fins on the bottoms as well.
    fine

You get a lot more speed behind a boat than you do in most surfing conditions. Normal skis would not float you, especially if you were wearing boots. Plus, you wouldn't be able to maneuver.

The skis would have to be specifically designed for the task. If they were to operate remotely as well as a surfboard on a wave, they'd need to have some kind of skeg and the rails would need to be like a surfboard as well. Ski edges wouldn't work.

Fuck the boat.
    I wanna see someone paddle them biatches onto the waves at Honolua.

skiing on waves

Already been done, many, many times by my big ole buddy Chuck Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    SO...what did he think of it?
    Huck.............Sh*t!

Cool thread. I've been thinking ABOUT this, not thinking of DOING this since I first saw tow-in surfing. I'm way to scared of the ocean

I think all the questions you guys have are all normal kinks that a new sport evolves through. Part of the fun really.
    I wager that within 10 years from this thread, some crazy imaginitive dudes will tow-in-ski Peahi

I can't wait to watch someone rail a huge bottom turn on a massive wave.
    But, what do I know, I'm just a powder junky

why dont you just tow in on water skiis? you could try 2 skis like everyone or the slalom because i have seen some pros and they can rip a hard turn on them like 90 degrees almost so maybe they could rip one at the bottom of a wave.

but by far the coolest thread i have seen on TGR and this is my first time on the surf forum

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    heh, I beat you to the name drop.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by workinforturns
    why dont you just tow in on water skiis?
    welcome to the party, the keg's in the kitchen.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    welcome to the party, the keg's in the kitchen.
    Wow thats better then "you don't have tits get the fuck out of here."
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Lightbulb

In order of gayness:

1) Waterskiing onto waves

2) Wakeboarding onto waves

3) Goat Boats

4) Bodyboarding

5) Tossing Richard Simmons' Salad
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 02-14-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Where does riversurfing fit in the list?

hahahaha

i'm guessing just below riverboogieboarding.
    fine

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I figured I would jump over here for a question as you guys would know best.....With sport limits being constantly pushed, I am wondering if the concept of skiing waves has ever been attempted? with the immergence of tow-in surfing I think this may just work. I actually have an alpine skiing background but would like to hear any feedback.
    Trolling fucking lurker, go back to your make believe little hide out and stop pretending you ski or surf.

(insert annoying winky face here except I hate them.)
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    heh, I beat you to the name drop.

Damn! and I'm usually so good about rubbing of the coolness of others.

It's completely for novelty's sake. Chuck, did it just pretty much to say he's done it.

Pu- I'd put long boarding not in that list, but pretty fucking close. I fucking hate those damn old, fat, airplane winger mo-fos

it seems to me that i saw a picture a few years ago of our very of pain mcshlonkey waterskiing a wave. i know i saw it either here or on powdermag. does this ring any bells with anyone?