Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    Just for iceman's curiosity, there's some Danish food company that is supposedly losing $2 million a day because of the boycott. Maybe they make cheese and the Arabs like to eat it? Something tells me ham isn't the answer over there.
    Wish I knew what the company was and if they sold food here so we could support them (a 'girlcott'?).
    Lurpak was the most publicised boycott. They sell all kinds of dairy products, but their butter is most famous. I'm sure if you search Google News, you'll find out more info.

The country is a net exorter of Electricity, Oil, Natural Gas; it has a balance of payments surplus. Their principal exports are Manufactured Goods (excluding ships), which are worth just under 10 times what they recieve from Agricultural Products of animal origin and Canned meat and milk combined. Perhaps their two most distinguished Exported brands are Bacon and Beer: last I checked, not so hot with rabid, middle-eastern religous zealots. So, in all, the effect of a Middle Eastern boycott on Danish products isn't going to be all that ground shaking.

So if you want to support them, tuck into a danish bacon breakfast this morning, buy a pallet or two of Carlsberg Export ("It's so good the Danes hate to see it leave!") when you tuck into the superbowl and you guys will easily cover the middle eastern decline.

Buy Danish : It's good for freedom.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by DownhillRider
    "They'd rather get pissed about a stupid cartoon and burn shit down than even begin to think that maybe there's something fucked up with their society. Whatever works fro them, I guess."

I don't know, after some shit that happened today I just got pissed at all of that. What pisses me off is the society part - i'm sick of all the fucking generalizations about peoples societies.
    I hear ya, but unfortunately sometimes the shoe does fit. Even the Arabs I work with (two of them VERY devout Muslims, interrupting work to pray in their office) think the response is ridiculous. Unless Arab voices of reason come out to moderate this knee-jerk crap all they're doing is losing even more goodwill globally. I'm a liberal American.... I know of what I speak.

DENMARK, FUCK YEAH!

Islamist unite and declare that because a danish guy drew a cartoon of Mohammed they are going to burn their embassy down. Danish people are reported to have said......... sayyyyyyy what?

Isn't this the equivilent of a little kid getting hit with a snowball at play time in school, and coming back with a .44 proceeding to blow the other kids away.

I HAVE A SOLUTION Just drop a bunch of nukes in the desert between palestine and israel and inbetween Iran and Iraq. Then take all the money spent on the war/peace efforts/food/spies/surveilence and build a giant nuke proof dome over the Middle East. Whoever comes out alive is proclaimed the winner and gets the land once it de-contaminates from the radioactive fallout.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    I HAVE A SOLUTION Just drop a bunch of nukes in the desert between palestine and israel and inbetween Iran and Iraq. Then take all the money spent on the war/peace efforts/food/spies/surveilence and build a giant nuke proof dome over the Middle East. Whoever comes out alive is proclaimed the winner and gets the land once it de-contaminates from the radioactive fallout.
    Dude, with diplomatic insights like that, you're being wasted in Deadhorse!

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    Dude, with diplomatic insights like that, you're being wasted in Deadhorse!

edg

I KNOW! Mohammaddamn isn't there a country out there who needs a prime minister? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Denmark.... I am looking in your direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin

Isn't this the equivilent of a little kid getting hit with a snowball at play time in school, and coming back with a .44 proceeding to blow the other kids away.
    you are saying afghanistan and iraq are a little snowball? maybe they don't like being called terrorist in times of the war on terrorism. or maybe they don't like being called terrorists because they are not terrorists.

at least I wouldn't like to be called terrorist. appears to be a pretty mortal sentence in our days. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    you are saying afghanistan and iraq are a little snowball?
    This makes no sense.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    you are saying afghanistan and iraq are a little snowball? maybe they don't like being called terrorist in times of the war on terrorism. or maybe they don't like being called terrorists because they are not terrorists.

at least I wouldn't like to be called terrorist. appears to be a pretty mortal sentence in our days. just a thought.
    What better way to let people know you don't support terrorism than to burn down embassies?

Let's give them some nukes as a kiss-and-make-up gesture.

Oh, in response to this cartoon...I think the way some muslims are reacting is COMPLETE bullshit. They're the fuckers giving a bad name to all muslims, and all other religions since lots of people can't tell the difference. And there's been tonnes of shit making fun of Jesus, but you don't see anyone (except for the extremists I guess...which is the same as this scenario, just a lot of extremists in this scenario are fucked up) blowing up buildings over that. Complete bullshit, I seriously wish there was some way to get rid of all the assholes who're doing this, and giving a bad name to everyone else, but there isn't. Thats the problem - a bunch of idiots overreact, do what they think is right and burn some shit down, and give a even worse name to all the other members of that community.

"They'd rather get pissed about a stupid cartoon and burn shit down than even begin to think that maybe there's something fucked up with their society. Whatever works fro them, I guess."

I don't know, after some shit that happened today I just got pissed at all of that. What pisses me off is the society part - i'm sick of all the fucking generalizations about peoples societies. Lots of people from other countries assume shit about America/other religions, lots of Americans assume shit about other countries/religions. I love how there's something fucked up with their society. Yeah sure, some guy can yell "YOU'RE ALL FUCKING TERRORISTS" to me here but I don't make generalizations about all of Canada (fuck, Canada kicks ass...couldnt imagine living anywhere else) people seriously shouldnt judge whole societies.....just pisses me right off. Needed to vent, sorry if I was a little overboard.

Edit: Err, maybe I was a little unclear in this post too, I live in Canada so obviously I wouldnt judge all of Canada, but if I went over to America and that happened there (which it didnt, I only go to America once a year so I doubt it ever will either) I wouldnt judge all of America...

Edit 2: Sorry if I offended anyone by the way...didnt mean it seriously, obviously, just don't understand how people can actually believe some of the shit they hear, and even worse how people can actually believe that a whole group of people are terrorists...sorry if I misread your post iceman, just wanted to vent..nothing personal.
    Good post. A lot of people outside the USA see Dubya and assume all americans are redneck idiots. Obviously this isn't true at all, in fact the huge majority of Americans I've met have been kickass people who I've liked just as much, if not more, as your average Canuck.

Given this experience, I don't think it's too hard to assume that even though we see pictures of assholes from the ME holding up angry signs and condoning assholish behavior, most of the people in the ME (muslim or not) are kickass people who we'd all have a good time hanging out with.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks
    This makes no sense.
    It's the Chewbacca Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    They'd rather get pissed about a stupid cartoon and burn shit down than even begin to think that maybe there's something fucked up with their society. Whatever works fro them, I guess.

::shrug::
    I could not agree more. I would say nothing is working for that part of the world right now.

I don't know, after some shit that happened today I just got pissed at all of that. What pisses me off is the society part - i'm sick of all the fucking generalizations about peoples societies. Lots of people from other countries assume shit about America/other religions, lots of Americans assume shit about other countries/religions. I love how there's something fucked up with their society. Yeah sure, some guy can yell "YOU'RE ALL FUCKING TERRORISTS" to me here but I don't make generalizations about all of Canada (fuck, Canada kicks ass...couldnt imagine living anywhere else) people seriously shouldnt judge whole societies.....just pisses me right off. Needed to vent, sorry if I was a little overboard.

Edit: Err, maybe I was a little unclear in this post too, I live in Canada so obviously I wouldnt judge all of Canada, but if I went over to America and that happened there (which it didnt, I only go to America once a year so I doubt it ever will either) I wouldnt judge all of America...

Edit 2: Sorry if I offended anyone by the way...didnt mean it seriously, obviously, just don't understand how people can actually believe some of the shit they hear, and even worse how people can actually believe that a whole group of people are terrorists...sorry if I misread your post iceman, just wanted to vent..nothing personal.
    I disagree, some Islamic countries, as well as other nations, do need to take a really close look at what is going on in their countries. You can't go on blaming the US and the west for everything. You keep playing the blame game and not look at what you need to correct on your side and conditions will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    What better way to let people know you don't support terrorism than to burn down embassies?
    Exactly.

Mohammad isn't a terrorist, those bastards, let's burn their embassies, that will teach them.

Or...

They don't respect our culture of not drawing pictures of our prophet, fuck the freedom of speech in their culture, burn their embassies.

Check this

http://www.sorrynorwaydenmark.com/

and

http://egyptiansandmonkey.blogspot.com/

for some more moderate muslim views of the controversy

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    You fool! Surely now these people will burn down your country's embassy!

Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    No, but the Danish can go Dutch.
    The danes can even do a greek!
    All work and no play, ... you know...

Certain regimes in the middle east are or have been supported by the US and it is in part, part of the problem. These people arent stupid and they are getting tired of been treated like puppets really. What did you think would happen if you had a picture of Jesus with a bomb on his head?

Quote Originally Posted by fattwins
    What did you think would happen if you had a picture of Jesus with a bomb on his head?

I would burn down their embassy........

seriously though..

This kind of stuff happens all the time, from the Artist who a few years ago painted Jesus as a Black Woman with uncovered Breasts to....

Taken from another website

"Back in 1999, a controversial art exhibit called "Sensation" arrived at the Brooklyn Museum of Arts. It didn't take long for the show to receive tons of criticism from both the public and the mayor of New York, Rudolph Giuliani. Many, including the mayor, were outraged at pieces that used elephant feces and dead farm animals to portray the artists' disgust for the Christian religion.

Holy Virgin Mary drew the most attention from onlookers. The painting is a depiction of the Virgin Mary as a black woman and is splattered with elephant dung."

Giuliani must not have gotten the message though, he forgot to burn the Canadian Embassy to the ground.

Taken from another website

"The photograph in Brooklyn that riled the mayor this time is a version of Jesus' Last Supper. In the picture, Christ is depicted as a black woman - in fact, a naked black woman, who happens to be the photographer. The photograph is called "Yo Mama's Last Supper."

I think that burning things down and getting all jihad on the Danish is pretty overkill, but I just wanted to say a few things about the whole Palestinian-Israeli conflict. Most people have a tendency to side with the Israelis because the American news networks speak sympathetically towards them (at least thats how it seems to me). The truth is that the Zionists (orginization of Jews who's goal was the creation of a Jewish state) moved into Palestine and started displacing the people that lived there. At first the Palestinians had no problem with this, especially because the Jews were willing to take land that wasn't usable as farmland such as desert and swamp. As more and more came conflicts started. The Palestinians tried to limit the number of Jewish imigrants, and the Jews began reacting with violence and the whole situation started turning into the mess it is now.
    What made it much worse is that the British backed the Zionist movement to gain power in the Middle East and because the Jewish refugees displaced by WWII were making them look bad.
    I'm not saying that the Palestinian violence is right, or that we should all feel sorry for them. The truth is, both sides are skrewing things up and pretty much acting like idiots. It is important to be aware that the Western news networks pretty much only report the violence on one side of things. The Isrealis have gunned down peaceful non violent protesters. The Palestinians do terrible things all the time too. Basically, my point is that the whole situation is fucked and there is no right side.
    Ok now I'm beating a dead horse, and I'm sure most of you allready knew all about this.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Surprised they didn't Fatwa Zevon

You know, the Sheriff's got his problems too
    He will surely take them out on you
    In walked the village idiot and his face was all aglow
    He's been up all night listening to Mohammed's Radio
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Add me to the shit list...

In response to all of this this, I want to draw a picture of mohhamed being raped by a gay jew.

but, for better or for worse, I can't draw. oh well.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    In response to all of this this, I want to draw a picture of mohhamed being raped by a gay jew.

but, for better or for worse, I can't draw. oh well.

steve
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch