Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWMD bidding on gearswap, ethical dilemma

Just wanted to see what the group as whole thought of this. Here's my predicament: I put up some skis up for sale, had somebody say they wanted them, I said okay, 1 min later someone offers me 50 bucks more for them. I sure would like an extra 50 bones. Am I obligated to stick with first person since I said yes? Should I give first guy a chance to match the higher bid? I really would like a few serious and honest answers here. Thanks

I think you should let the first guy match the higher bid. $225 for Gotama's with bindings is cheap as hell, and that's still a great deal. If he doesn't want to pay that for them, sell them to the second guy.

Ive always been a fan of 1st come 1st served.

Im sure you wouldn't want to be pimped on a deal in the same manner.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Personally, I would vote for 'obligated'. This is from experience. Similar things occured when I owned a shop, and the sense of honor from sticking to my word *usually* outweighed the value of the 'dirty' $50. If it is an auction, tho', different story!

I would say who ever called dibs first. But I think the Ref should chim in.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

If you already agreed with the first guy for your original asking price, that's hard to go back on. If you wanted more money and bidding, ebay would have been a good place to list these.

edit: dibs is dibs
    Last edited by Conundrum; 02-01-2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I'd sell to the first bid personally, mostly due to the way they were priced to begin with. It seems you honestly wanted to hook a maggot up (which is awesome), and aren't trying to recoup all your costs on the skis. So I'd sell to the first person that met your asking price.

-ljm
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

After thinking about this for a second (and thinking about how I'd want to be treated), I change my opinion and say give them to the first guy for the original price.

1st come 1st served, what goes around comes around and you may find yourself wanting the maggot hookup at some point in the future.

Well this pretty much sums up my gut feeling. That little devil on my shoulder was just eggin' me on to get a little more money. I'm stickin with the first mag who I replyed to, its only fair. Thanks for the quick and honest responses.

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    I say just sell them to me, then they will both be equally disappointed.

The moment you said "yes" to the first guy, you entered into a verbal contract with him. I say you should honor the agreement with the first guy. If you wanted $50 more for them, you should have listed them for $50 more.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski2
    Just wanted to see what the group as whole thought of this. Here's my predicament: I put up some skis up for sale, had somebody say they wanted them, I said okay, 1 min later someone offers me 50 bucks more for them. I sure would like an extra 50 bones. Am I obligated to stick with first person since I said yes? Should I give first guy a chance to match the higher bid? I really would like a few serious and honest answers here. Thanks
    Offer made; you accept; contract formed. No issue, either legal or moral, the first guy gets them.

Do the right thing.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I agree- go with the first guy. Even though I would be willing to pay more. Damn you Stump!!!

Had you waited another minute, it would've been reasonable to sell them to person #2, or better yet let #1 match the price. ...but you didn't and it's not fair to tell someone you were going to give them a good deal that they agreed to pay, and then pull the rug out from under them.

Quote Originally Posted by snow_slider
    The moment you said "yes" to the first guy, you entered into a verbal contract with him. I say you should honor the agreement with the first guy. If you wanted $50 more for them, you should have listed them for $50 more.
    Assuming this was done through PMs, that's likely a written contract, not verbal. It doesn't have to be on a piece of paper with a bunch of "Whereas" clauses at the beginning. It doesn't even have to be in a single document. A writing (or set of writings) that evidences an offer and acceptance suffices, assuming that the necessary terms (primarily price and description of goods) are set forth or implied.
    not counting days 2016-17

I'd say to both guys that you changed your mind and don't want to sell them anymore, then put them on ebay and get 500 for them.

I'd say go with the first guy, unless you're in a serious financial situation, then you do what you gotta do.(like sell them on ebay for $500 as someone already mentioned)
    Last edited by cmsummit; 02-01-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Change your board name, disappear, and sell the skis on ebay.

Once you agreed to sell them, they're sold. Too late to take other offers.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Aunty Entity: You think I don't know the law? Wasn't it me who wrote it? And I say that this man has broken the law. Right or wrong, we had a deal. And the law says: bust a deal and face the wheel!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

You're not da law...

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction
    Aunty Entity: You think I don't know the law? Wasn't it me who wrote it? And I say that this man has broken the law. Right or wrong, we had a deal. And the law says: bust a deal and face the wheel!

I AM DA LAW

Man she was a MILF back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Man she was a MILF back then.
    Now she's a GILF

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    Now she's a GILF
    That's all you, man.