I'm a fat ultralighter - Gear Review

Everybody has heard the heavy dude refuse to buy the top end ultralight gear, no matter the sport, and say something to the effect of, "I could spend the extra bucks to save a few ounces on my bindings/wheels/backpack/whatever," while patting his stomach, "or I could lose ten pounds here." I was sick of being that dude and, since I blame my horrible job for how out of shape I've become, I spent maximum bucks on the lightest gear.
    At 5'10", 235lbs., moderate skiing ability, maximum skiing passion; I threw down and built a set up that I hope will allow me to reach some goals, solve some problems, and get in shape.

Here's what I bought:
    Dynafit FR 10.0 skis in 178 length
    Dynafit Comfort bindings (not titanium, nor the classics -so I could've gone lighter)
    Scarpa f1 boots
    -- A bunch of differing opinions on this gear mix came from all directions at shops and others I quizzed; a lot of eyebrows were raised and I worried that I was making a bad mix and wasting a bunch of money. I was also a bit nervous about being a big dude on ultralight gear. Would I overpower it, would I break it, would I be able to bend over far enough to lock into those Dynafit binders?

On Sunday I took the skis on a very mellow tour, rolling terrain and flats, and the skis toured incredibly. No comparison to my Snow Ranger/Lowa Struktura/Diamir 2 set up. The stride is so much more natural and the weight diffference is beyond amazing.
    Last night I took the new rig out for some real downhill testing. It had snowed 8 inches at Ski Bowl and people had been putting tracks in all day, so I thought this would be a decent testing grounds. A mix of freshie pow stashes, tracked up bumps, and tracked out groomers.

My new rig performed incredibly! The boots have aided me in improving my stance, and they transfer power to the skis without a problem. The Dynafit bindings were no trouble to get in or out of and realeased reliably except for one suspect release. I don't have the DIN that high (7.5) and I was in the trough between scraped up/powdery moguls - I doubt I'll find these conditions in the BC. They railed at high speed confidently, they mowed pow and cut up pow, and I never felt like I was on an unstable platform. Anything I'd charge in my alpine rig (Atomic Metrons w/Atomic binders), I'd charge in this gear. The lighhter weight of the gear allowed me to ski so much better!
    It was weird to feel the toe bellows of the boots flex a little in the bindings, but I blocked it out and it proved to be a non-issue. Walking around in these boots is a dream. The fit is awesome, the walk mode is like real walking, and snapping down into ski mode is easy and fast. I cannot wait to go touring!
    another Handsome Boy graduate

were the bindings with brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    were the bindings with brakes?
    leashes.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Did you pat your stomach and say "allright, this is the next mod" ?