Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pierre report

Wow, a tiny bit of physics and someone freaks... lol, glad I didn't go into some of the calculus

Quote Originally Posted by grskier
    OK, this doesn't count resistance, as I'm at work and didn't want to get too involved:

x=vt+1/2at^2
    x=240 ft=73.152 m
    73=1/2(9.81)t^2
    3.86s = t

v=v+at
    v=0+9.81(3.86)
    v=37.86 m/s = 84.7 mph...
    I'm calling it way faster - I'll have to watch it again (and again and again) to be sure, but he was in the air closer to 5 seconds from what I could see.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9
    Props to Jamie yet again.
    Huge props!

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9
    I too wish this was getting press on the news. It would be better for Jamie and skiing as a whole. I'm sure he could get a few national interviews out of this easy.
    I thought about this to J, but think of all the ninnies here so far that are spewing crap about this event. If the people around here don't/won't/can't comprehend a jump of that magnitude, how can the general public. I really can't compehend the height either as I am not a huckster, but I have seen years of this type of prep and talk of this jump.

If it could be shown as your "chasing a high", that would be great. But what are the chances that would happen, unless Steve did the story?

Would the media even portait this jump as a good thing for skiing, or would they slant it as "stupid" in so many words.

That is a tough one.

That said, I hope to see the footy sooner rather than later. Road trip J?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    You're right. He would fall much more stylishly than I would.
    It's not about falling with more style, it's about falling and not dying. I'm sure BASE jumping takes no skill either, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grifter
    I'm calling it way faster - I'll have to watch it again (and again and again) to be sure, but he was in the air closer to 5 seconds from what I could see.
    multiply the air time by 9.81, that'll give you meters per second.. then mutliply that by 2.237 to get miles per hour (say 4.5s would give you 104.6 mph).

It also depends on his speed going off the cliff, that was just a simple if I drop something off a 240 foot building, how fast is it going when it lands.. he had some horizontal vector too on the way off, so this is just the equivolent of the freefall velocity.

No air resistance means speed = sqrt(2*g*h) where h is the height of the cliff (and then whatever unit conversion you need to get to mph or similar). This means that twice the height of the cliff gives only 1.4 times the speed at impact.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Um, same thing....

but yes the sqrt of 2 is about 1.4..

Quote Originally Posted by slippy
    It's not about falling with more style, it's about falling and not dying. I'm sure BASE jumping takes no skill either, right?
    So he landed on his head on purpose? We're not exactly talking about a stomped landing here that was skied out of....

I shot a story on BASE jumping in the New River Gorge. The guys doing it tried to get me, or anyone, to jump with them after we were done. Paraphrasing their response to "there's no way I could do that:"

Do you have legs? Can you jump? Can you hold the little pull chute thing in your hand? Can you throw it? That's all you need!

Not exactly freeclimbing El Capitan or running a marathon.

falling off a cliff is definetly not funny, I was riding a shoulder just above the cliff and saw an opening in the trees which I thought was a chute and the safety out however it was a little chute 20 feet to air and the chute had already slid when I got to it so I had no other choice but down. Also air resistance is highly dependent on velocity and density of air. So caclulate air resistance at impact by aR=0.5CpAv^2 then subtract it from your final free fall mph to get a good estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by whatcomridaz
    Also air resistance is highly dependent on velocity and density of air. So caclulate air resistance at impact by aR=0.5CpAv^2 then subtract it from your final free fall mph to get a good estimation.

thanks, it's been a while

Hey nerds. You'll never figure out how fast he was going. You'll need the surface area of his skis, the angle of them, the drag of his clothing and gear, the elevation, his distance out horizontally, the wind speed and direction, etc. Give up, no one cares.

And just in case some of you have forgotten, Jamie Pierre has done something no other man in the history of the Earth has done, which is jump off a cliff with skis on his feet, drop 240 feet and not get hurt. That IS the progression of skiing. Hearing a bunch of people argue on the internet saying anyone could do it after the fact is just spew. He planned it years ago, and finally made it happen.

Mad props to the ballsiest fucking guy in skiing, and yes, I'd much rather watch people jump off 240 foot cliffs on skis than watch another Alaska line.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    You'll need the surface area of his skis, the angle of them, the drag of his clothing and gear, the elevation, his distance out horizontally, the wind speed and direction, etc.
    No, you just need the frame rate of the camera and the height of the cliff.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    No, you just need the frame rate of the camera and the height of the cliff.
    I prefer a radar gun, thanks for your 2 cents though.

I prefer a radar gun, thanks for your 2 cents though.
    not bright enough to subtract & divide?
    Elvis has left the building

So he landed on his head on purpose? We're not exactly talking about a stomped landing here that was skied out of....

I shot a story on BASE jumping in the New River Gorge. The guys doing it tried to get me, or anyone, to jump with them after we were done. Paraphrasing their response to "there's no way I could do that:"

Do you have legs? Can you jump? Can you hold the little pull chute thing in your hand? Can you throw it? That's all you need!
    Funny, I interviewed Julian who does a lot of 100+ cliffs and learned a lot. You interviewed some base jumpers and learned nothing. Also, MD9, who has jumped a 100 footer before, says there is a skill set involved. But as a cameraman with 2.5 kids from DC who once ski bummed in Vail for a bunch of years, you know better. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    not bright enough to subtract & divide?
    Do you have the video footage? They're trying to do the equation without it. Not bright enough to understand that?

Relax. This was merely a discussion. Damn you guys have thin skin.

Getting personal why, Slippy? Does it prove your point? Oh, you're right. I have kids, live in DC, and did not huck 100 ft. This doesn't prove anything other than your being able to read and remember my posts or profile. I read the thread after Woodsy bumped it, asked a question about the passage he quoted, and he also got pissy.

Did they Lie? Is there more to it physically than what they (the BASE jumpers,) not I, said?

Did I ever say anything negative about MD9 or JP? All I adressed was the idea that having balls is what you need to be an athlete. Even JP said something along the lines of "It's not hard... just sack up and do it you pussies."

I'm done. Have a nice weekend, all.

Do you have the video footage? They're trying to do the equation without it. Not bright enough to understand that?
    Correction on my earlier estimate - time code on the tape is 4 seconds - which is still a crazy long time in the air.

87.78 mph using the free fall equation. That said - he launched off the top pretty hot - I'm not bright enough to figure out what that does to the actual final impact speed....

Quote Originally Posted by Grifter
    Correction on my earlier estimate - time code on the tape is 4 seconds - which is still a crazy long time in the air.

87.78 mph using the free fall equation. That said - he launched off the top pretty hot - I'm not bright enough to figure out what that does to the actual final impact speed....
    So who got out the tape to measure the cliff? Which brings out the big TGR question...did he drop 240, or was the cliff geology 240? I'm sure JP didn't drop exactly 240, which messes up their equation....like I said, a waste of time.
    Last edited by BlurredElevens; 01-27-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Not exactly freeclimbing El Capitan or running a marathon.
    That's funny, I've been told that you shouldn't even attempt BASE jumping until you have 150+ conventional skydives, yet these clowns were about to hand you a BASE rig? I call BS.

Unreal, alot of the people shitting on JP would be gripped on a 20 footer. Way to do something nobody else has done!

Oh, and the y-component of his velocity would be ~85 mph, the X component would be smaller than the rate he was travelling at takeoff, so assuming he was travelling 20 mph horizontally, the total velocity would have been about 87 mph and change. [nnnerd!]
    Last edited by homerjay; 01-27-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Mad props to the ballsiest fucking guy in skiing, and yes, I'd much rather watch people jump off 240 foot cliffs on skis than watch another Alaska line.
    Jamie Pierre' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

While riding the elevator, Jamie Pierre never pushes the button, the elevator better just know what floor Jamie Pierre needs to be on.

Jamie Pierre does not sleep. He waits.

Jamie Pierre does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Jamie Pierre goes killing.

Jamie Pierre counted to infinity - twice.

Jamie Pierre sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Jamie roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Jamie Pierre.

If you can see Jamie Pierre, he can see you. If you can't see Jamie Pierre you may be only seconds away from death.

The Dinosaurs looked at Jamie Pierre the wrong way once. ONCE.

The chief export of Jamie Pierre is pain.

JP, as I have already stated, stole the powder photo annual with his 120 foot air in Engelberg, Switzerland. IMO that is the best shot ever to appear in powder. Jamie inspires me like nobody else skiing today. Screw your job, screw your mortgage, forget about your family and your health, go huck something big today, get scared again, you'll never feel so alive. I took an air a few weeks ago, mainly because some dork had fallen down the chute I was gonna hit, so I stopped looked down at my friends who had gathered below, I veered right and popped off a little rock, caught more air than I have in years, stuck the landing but was then going way to fast to avoid a clump of trees so I took a hard right turn went down and tweeked my back, which I've been trying to heel up for 3 weeks, but you know what, it was so worth it, I haven't felt that alive in a long time. Just thinking about going bigger gets me excited.

Getting personal why, Slippy? Does it prove your point?
    Yeah. If you had a background on jumping 100 footers I'd be more inclined to listen to you. Otherwise it's just some guy talking poopy on the internet.

I read the thread after Woodsy bumped it, asked a question about the passage he quoted, and he also got pissy.
    Sounds like a lot people are annoyed by your comment, which would lead you to believe....we're thin skinned. That's the only logical conclusion?

Did they Lie? Is there more to it physically than what they (the BASE jumpers,) not I, said?
    With a little intuition you'd realize it's their ego speaking. It's a macho sport all about adrenaline. And yes, there's more to it. They were just trying to alleviate your fears to jump, right? Maybe BASE jumping wasn't a perfect example for skills, but it does take some experience to survive more than once, which is similar to what Jamie does.

Did I ever say anything negative about MD9 or JP? All I adressed was the idea that having balls is what you need to be an athlete.
    Somebody breaks a world record and all you say it's 'balls'. That's negative and full of poop.

Even JP said something along the lines of "It's not hard... just sack up and do it you pussies."
    He was obviously joking. That whole interview was a set up by the cameraman as a joke. It's about reading between the lines, like with the base jumpers you talked to. If you belived them that it is as simple as throwing a chute, why didn't you base jump with them? (Or did you)

I'm done. Have a nice weekend, all.
    I don't mean to be rude, but just saying as I see it. have a good one.

For those of you who wanna diss what JP is doing, don't kid youself, you couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal's dead
    For those of you who wanna diss what JP is doing, don't kid youself, you couldn't do it.
    Is there anyone out there who wants to do it?...I mean seriously?

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission