Fritschi toepiece field repair question

Had to do a field repair on a Fritschi (Titanal II). I had a spare Titanal 3 toepiece in my pack, luckily.

I easily unscrewed the existing toe and screwed on the new one. The new one "wobbled" a bit with easy finger pressure. What I did was step in, then I tightened the toe height screw. This seemed to lock things down enough for the descent....but as soon as I stepped out of the binding, the wobble (side to side 1mm or 2, with some very slight lift of the toepiece) was present.

Did I miss something obvious or (fail to) do something dumb??
    Thank you!

Edit: I also noticed quite a bit of play in the gray "Anti Friction Device" on one binding. Any way to tighten this, or is the binding just done? Could I remove this (and, of course, expect no/limited toe release)? I rides with boots with a vibram sole, anyway.
    Last edited by upallnight; 01-24-2006 at 11:30 PM.

As a guess, the plastic retention mechanism inside the bar might be broken. If crappy pics help, look here other than replacing the bar not sure what else.

edit: with finger pressure the slop you mentioned is possible at low dins.
    Last edited by cj001f; 01-24-2006 at 11:35 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

Sounds right. When I adjust the toe height I go a little tighter then the standard thin library card test. If there's space between the AFD and the boot sole then the toe piece will have play I find so I usually get things a little tighter then that. However, there shouldn't be toe piece slop.

Thanks, guys. Checked out the other thread when it was posted, but the pictures there seem to relate to the heel piece, not the toe. I could be missing something, though.

From what I can tell, the toe piece only screws into the plastic lower section, not directly to the bar.

DIN settings are 9 in the toes.

Am I totally missing something?

The library card test is off for me -- I'm using AT boots w/ vibram soles. I can crank the toe height adjustment screw down (no play detected), but when I remove the boot, there is some play. This is not the case on the other binding, and it's a natural concern.

Thanks for your thoughts.

To be clear - the library card test is for toe height adjustment with AT boots. I don't have an answer for you. Unless the bolt on the spare toepiece you just installed is some how the wrong size or also cracked?

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight
    Thanks, guys. Checked out the other thread when it was posted, but the pictures there seem to relate to the heel piece, not the toe. I could be missing something, though.

From what I can tell, the toe piece only screws into the plastic lower section, not directly to the bar.
    I guess my pictures were more confusing than illustrating. Those pictures are of the front of the binding. The toejaw screws into a black post. That post rests against the bit that breaks/DIN adjustment and for replacement purposes is considered the "bar".

Guess I'll post a Fritschi dissection with better pictures tomorrow.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau
    To be clear - the library card test is for toe height adjustment with AT boots. I don't have an answer for you. Unless the bolt on the spare toepiece you just installed is some how the wrong size or also cracked?
    Thanks.. bolt appears to be the same size -- there's no play in the bolt/hole. It just really seems like while the bolt locks down and is tight, the plastic toe piece is not. Hm.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    I guess my pictures were more confusing than illustrating. Those pictures are of the front of the binding. The toejaw screws into a black post. That post rests against the bit that breaks/DIN adjustment and for replacement purposes is considered the "bar".

Guess I'll post a Fritschi dissection with better pictures tomorrow.
    Ahh--- my mistake. I apologize. Your post makes it 100% clear you were talking about the toe piece. I see that now. So, you're thinking that if I take it apart, I might see that the "bar" is broken in a similar spot?

The odd thing is that the wobble just seems like there's clearance between the bolt (toe height screw) and the top of the toe piece. The actual toe height screw seems to fit securely into the female slot.

Not quite sure where the spring fits into the equation. I don't believe any parts "fell out". Could anything have come out when I removed the old toepiece? I didn't see anything, but I could have missed it.

Thanks again!

When I repaired my broken toepiece (the black piece in Cj001f"s picture) I replaced that piece with one out of my old titinal 3's. I too have a little toe wooble on that binding but as soon as I click in it gets tight and hasn't caused me any trouble so far in about 3 or 4 days of touring and skiing fairly hard in crud and powder.

Thanks, tknox!

I'm debating just pulling these bindings and throwing a pair of Dynafit Comforts on them -- I have a pair in the box. Problem is, these skis see a fair amount of resort usage in firmer conditions. Hm.

I'd like to save the binding if I can, but I want it to be safe.

I appreciate your input.