"TR" Specific Forum Category????

Give the number of posts these days, I sometimes see some great TR's get dropped to page 2,3 really quickly.

Have you considered splitting Ski/Snowboard to TRs and General? Or something like that.

For those of us look at TRs especially, it would be nice to just have them all together.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    Give the number of posts these days, I sometimes see some great TR's get dropped to page 2,3 really quickly.

Have you considered splitting Ski/Snowboard to TRs and General? Or something like that.

For those of us look at TRs especially, it would be nice to just have them all together.
    Meh. Im not diggin that idea, even though it does sound somewhat good.

Imagine Ski/Snowboard forum with no stoke. Good lord it would be a friggin shitshow. More forums just breaks up the brahhood we got goin here. Too split.
    Drive slow, homie.

Don't break it up. Like Z said- it would quickly turn into a shitshow. Look at what happens to the board when the skiing is sucking and there's no TR's. Flamewars and crappy threads galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    ... Imagine Ski/Snowboard forum with no stoke. Good lord it would be a friggin shitshow. More forums just breaks up the brahhood we got goin here. Too split.
    I suggested something like this too originally because I found myself not going to the TGR board due to "post overload"... it just was taking too much time required to sift through the massive amount of posts, most of which as a new member I didn't really care about (eg "What Kind of Rims Should MCWop get For His New Car"). I think the forum is losing potential because as a new member the impression is "good gems here but not worth the effort sifting through a bunch of 'other' stuff to find them".

Unfortunately given the forum software currently, splitting up more forums I think just won't work, for the reason Z mentioned... it's a pain in the ass to have to check more than one forum for several reasons.

UKClimbing.com does a neat thing allowing you to subscribe to the forums you want and then showing them as all the same forum, with different icons to let you tell them apart. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ . So we could create a whole mess of forums (TR, Padded Room, Gear Swap, etc.) and then you could design your own front page based on what you want to see, then cruise the individual forums when you have more time later.

Even better would be a "message categories" functionality - so we have one single "forum" but you can multiselect different categories (TR, Europe, Tahoe, NSR). So it's the same as UKClimbing except when posting a thread "TR: San Anton" you can put it in both the "Europe" and "TR" forums at the same time.

Will doing this segment the community? Yes, a little. But given the sheer number of posts unless you do this, what you'll continue to have is only a core group of people with enough time on their hands to actually read and sift through everything. I think it's in the forum's interest to attract new people who will post even more good stuff, even if they don't have time to check every single day...

Tough one though, deciding how to handle the growing pains...

Yeahyeah I know - you're new here you have no right to suggest a change. Fine, but this is like the fifth time in a couple months I've seen a suggestion like the above so obviously it isn't just me here...

PS - Lovely forum though, Ons, frozenwater, Webguy, and hats off to you for putting in the continual effort to keep it top-notch!
    Last edited by bbirtle; 01-24-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    Imagine Ski/Snowboard forum with no stoke.
    Yeah I really think for a lot of people, they ONLY care about stoke. Why should new people care about an off-topic posting about Bin Laden? Now as you get more into the community, you might start to care as they become your friends... not sure the best solution but do think it's an issue just throwing it all into one big mess, for reasons I wrote above...

You guys do what you want though, I'm new here, it's your forum, and I could be wrong as I haven't been here very long...

I think the forums are fine as-is. In fact, I prefer the chaos of doing away with categories and putting everything into one big clusterfuck forum a la K2 SkiChatter

Quote Originally Posted by bbirtle
    most of which as a new member I didn't really care about (eg "What Kind of Rims Should MCWop get For His New Car"). I think the forum is losing potential because as a new member the impression is "good gems here but not worth the effort sifting through a bunch of 'other' stuff to find them".
    ...because those are the car rims that I am going to shove up your ass!

Don't like it? then don't fucking read it. Now there's an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani
    I think the forums are fine as-is. In fact, I prefer the chaos of doing away with categories and putting everything into one big clusterfuck forum a la K2 SkiChatte
    Would you like some WHINE with that CHEESE?! I can scrape some off your mother's ass, neeeeerrrrrdddd!

It's not a matter of not reading it - I haven't - it's that it's tough to sift through all the threads to find things that you want. Easy solution? not sure... but the chaos is keeping away new users and not leading to the best content, it seems...

Would you like some WHINE with that CHEESE?! I can scrape some off your mother's ass, neeeeerrrrrdddd!

It's not a matter of not reading it - I haven't - it's that it's tough to sift through all the threads to find things that you want. Easy solution? not sure... but the chaos is keeping away new users and not leading to the best content, it seems...
    I think there are too many sections of this forum as it is (btw..Hall of Fame was the worst idea ever). Here are some searching tips that help me have an enjoyable time using these forums.

-NSR means not skiing related, it's a good bet that there's nothing skiing related in them

-If you're looking for pictures, look for the thread labeled w/ pic or TR

-Threads labeled things like - OMFG, IT WAS F'ING NIPPLE DEEP TODAY usually either contain no pictures or have medicore pictures of mediocre skiers in boot top deep snow

-Avoid all threads started by me, they're usually quite disappointing
    Last edited by crashnburn'd; 01-25-2006 at 08:21 AM.

I think maybe the best of both world might be to have some sort of search function that can pick up on "TR". As it is now, you get:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : tr

Soooo, maybe there is some sort of filter that ONS could add in that could pick up on that "flag".

Paging Ogre, Ogre to the white courtesy phone

I agree in principle with FreakofSnow. However, it seems it would be pretty simple to have the best of both worlds otherwise as well.

Why not have the main thread contain everything that is contained in any other thread, but have a few other threads that contain specific info only. So, if there was a TR thread, it would still be on the main board. But if you just wanted to check out the TR thread, you could go to the TR thread board.

Under this format, I would suggest the following rooms:

Main Forum

TR Thread

Padded Room (b/c I think that adds a lot to the community - reinforces that anything goes here)

Gear Swap (b/c I scored a great deal on some Fujatives there)

Tech Talk (b/c TGR is full of gear queers)

Gimp Central (lest we forget our fallen heroes)

Hall of Fame (b/c it wouldn't suck if the orig threads were still contained in the main forum)

Sprocket Rockets (b/c that seems to be the summer sport for Maggots)

MUSIC/BOOKS/MOVIES (b/c a Maggot needs his culture)

All of the other threads can die (even my beloved Surf thread).
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

I think we should not waste TGR's time or money and just deal with it. Their movies are already expensive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd
    I think we should not waste TGR's time or money and just deal with it. Their movies are already expensive enough.
    I think some of you mags need to get a job. The Euro's idea is a good one. Too much good content gets lost in shuffle...

Good ideas here. It could be organized like this:

Maggots Forum - all in one
    TR Forum - TRs only
    Padded Room - ?$%^#*&
    Surf
    Summits
    etc

... taking too much time required to sift through the massive amount of posts...

Even better would be a "message categories" functionality - so we have one single "forum" but you can multiselect different categories (TR, Europe, Tahoe, NSR)...when posting a thread "TR: San Anton" you can put it in both the "Europe" and "TR" forums at the same time...

...given the sheer number of posts unless you do this, what you'll continue to have is only a core group of people with enough time on their hands to actually read and sift through everything. I think it's in the forum's interest to attract new people who will post even more good stuff, even if they don't have time to check every single day...

PS - Lovely forum though, Ons, frozenwater, Webguy, and hats off to you for putting in the continual effort to keep it top-notch!