Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I volunteer with an organization that gets disabled kids skiing. About 1/3 of the gig is bodyguard for the participant - let someone get between you and your kid and things don't end well. And we are doing this mostly on crowded green runs.

About once a month I have to scoop up a little kid who violates the safety zone and set them down out of the way. They are always surprised but I've never had one cry, or a parent get pissed at me.

GG Dad

Awareness needs to be a staple for every skier/rider

this story reminds me of a horrid crash at Snowbird a few seasons ago > a 6 year old was hit so hard ,she had 6 fractures in her pelvis>slow ski area> Doctor said injury was just like he sees in auto accidents

Lets make it as safe as we can out there> I personally have had a lot close calls at low mountain choke points , because some psycho is forcing his way through traffic at top speed ,from unusual angles often
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by AntiSuperEgo View Post
    I always ski upslope from my son. I have had a few close calls with kids on tethers being turned into me, but i have never run into anyone, yet. We are still new, 2nd season, to the sport, so it may yet happen.
    The guy who posted this is long gone, but IMO skiing uphill from your kid is a bad idea. a) people overtaking you see you but they don't see the kid, and b) it's a lot harder to safely pass two skiers than one. A person may get up some speed passing he parent and then turn to kill speed--right into the kid. Most people if they see a kid alone in the middle of a run will give then a very wide berth. Also, if your kid is making big traverses back and forth across the hill the run is too steep for them. Take them back to the bunny slope where they will be safer and have more fun. You won't get to boast that your 4 year old skis double blacks, but so what. Finally, teach your kids, or your sig other, friend, whoever--that when they're zig-zagging down the hill, turn before getting to the tree line to leave room for someone who has misjudged speed room to pass.

If you clock a kiddo your going to have a bad day per dad/mom. Don't be that guy.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

That’s my worse fear hitting a child and hurt the kid.
    I never hit a kid and crashed out if I had to.
    I hope that never happens to me.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    skiing uphill from your kid is a bad idea.
    I don't know about that. When my kids were 2-3 I'd ski switch in front of them. As they aged I would be behind them the majority of the time with my head on a swivel. You don't want to have to climb back up hill to help them if something goes wrong. Then again, I taught my kids to ski fall line and look up hill if they saw a feature across the slope they wanted to ski over...so, yeah be a good teacher first and foremost.

Plus just ski with both your poles sticking straight out to the sides for the block.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post

Plus just ski with both your poles sticking straight out to the sides for the block.
    Underrated. Its like chariot wheel spikes.

Watch out for little kids you beaters.

Situational awareness is a great lesson for both children and parents.

Very important as the WROD season is upon us. Once the wide open spaces commence its less of an issue although one should always be aware.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    This breaks my heart. I have had snowboarders turn into me a few times, turning backside while I was a good distance away but level with them. Keep your eyes open and head on a swivel folks. Ski/ board with the conditions. Three kids we have been lucky with few incidents. I like to ski fast, but I don’t when there are slower people on the hill. The risk is just too great. Be aware of little people in front. They are unpredictable. Be safe, have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alpinepronghorn View Post
    This thread reminds me of a couple of stories...

First, my brother got hit when he was around 6 or 7; I think we were at Stowe. Guy comes down, out of control, skis across Ben's skis and knocks him down. This guy almost looses it, keeps it together, and skis away, not even bothering to check to see if my brother's ok. My mom (who, incidentally rips: Masters racer, former NH high school champion) checks to see that my brother's ok, and then charges after this guy, catches him at the lift line, and proceeds to rip him a new one. The whole maze gave her a round of applause.

On the other side of the coin, my greatest fear nearly came true two years ago at Alta. With all the snow we had that year, the rock band between Cecret Saddle and the sugarloaf lift line had filled in to produce a nice kicker. I'd been airing it all season, but this time launched about five seconds before a kid and his mom skied into the landing zone. Airborne, with nowhere to go, I just pulled my skis as far in as I could, and landed a yard or two ahead of them. Everyone was safe, but the adrenaline didn't go away until halfway through the next run. I didn't hit that one blind again.

I'm just glad I made it through the pre-helmet years as a kid without getting nailed...
    The first day I got a helmet, I was standing off the the side of the trail, and someone on a snowboard aired the road wrong, hit me right in the back of the head with the center of his board. Cracked the helmet in half.

I have seen quite a few kids get taken out pretty hard, most people are pretty reasonable. I witnessed a hit and run with a kid from the chairlift, no parents around. Little boy was 7-8? He did not move for a good 2 minutes probably. I happened to have a radio with me since I was going to work an event, and was able to get someone from patrol down there quick. They ended up finding the guy and pulling his pass. That was scary!
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

All of my kids have been hit. Every time it has been a boarder. Last week a mid twenties lady nailed my eight year old. Huge gash in her boot and hip contusion. Four yellow jackets there instantly.

Pro tip when dealing with a parent of a child you hit. Apologize immediately. Don’t say “your kid turned in front of me, or stopped in front of me.” Yes, I have heard that three times now over the years.

It’s the double edged sword of having kids that live to ski, and crappy early season pack them into one or two runs conditions.

If I witness the collision, I know who’s at fault. If it’s my son, I’ll apologize for him. If others fault, I’ll yell at you and make you learn a lesson.

Getting hit is a rite of passage. Just don’t get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Definitely saw tons of near misses last week. When everyone is limited to skiing 2 chairs in the early season the mix of skiing ability/speed varies too much. Pray for snow

I've never taken out a kid but a kid took me out once. Neither the kid nor the parents apologized or asked me if I was ok. Kid hit me from behind. I was skiing slowly because it was a steep WROD with obstacles (Dogleg at Squaw) and it was crowded ahead of me.

Part of the problem is modern gear which allows a mediocre skier to ski faster than he can control in an emergency. It is actually a lot harder to ski slowly on a narrow icy trail than fast. There are a lot of people out there who point it and hope no one gets in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Be aware of little people in front. They are unpredictable. Be safe, have fun.
    +1 - I am lucky so far, only one close call with a little buster. He came in hot from 4 o'clock and hit the brakes hard.
    I successfully pulled off the one armed scoop and stop, but I really don't want to try that again.

Gotta say that skiing uphill of the little one is by far the safest spot. Perfecting your moving picks and in-between space management can significantly reduce the number of close calls. That being said, both my daughters were hit hard by snowboarders when they were little, but they were beyond the Dad blocking years.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Also, if your kid is making big traverses back and forth across the hill the run is too steep for them. Take them back to the bunny slope where they will be safer and have more fun. You won't get to boast that your 4 year old skis double blacks, but so what.
    This x100. Applies to all beginner skiers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers