Quit nicotine/tobacco

So, I've been quit with the chew for about two weeks now, and I finally think I'm over the hardest parts. It was wierd, though. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I know that sounds wierd, but it wasn't. I figured I'd be sweating and screaming like I quit heroin cold turkey. One thing I noticed, though, is that I have had absolutely no motivation over the last two weeks. It is just now coming back. I didn't even feel like skiing last weekend . All I did was sit around and watch football, etc. I felt like my brain had slowed down to a crawl. And I ate alot (I knew I was going to do this, so I suck on sugar free candies and tried to eat mostly fruits & stuff; but I was constantly munching on something...)

Was this normal/to be expected? Anyone else who quit smoking/chewing have this effect?

I am finally gearing up to get active again after the last two weeks. I am finding myself wanting to ride my bike and ski again.

It's just odd to me.

On the plus side - my resting pulse rate has come down and my BP is lower. That nicotine is nasty shit, I tell you.
    Last edited by 72Twenty; 01-19-2006 at 02:43 PM.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

First, congrats on the quit. Don't give in to temptation or rationalize a taste because you found it easy to quit last time. IMO once addicted, always addicted. I quit smoking in June and just lost all motivation. Self-employed, that is bad. Saw a real drop-off in income and big weight gain. Desire to smoke is gone, income is back, but very bummed the weight still has not come off, and that affects my skiing . I am doing cardio and strength training, so hopefully that will help.

Good luck.

That sounds very similiar to what I went through. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I still have an occasional craving at three months out, but they are easy to overcome.

My appetite went through the roof though, and I have probably gained about 15 pounds because I was very apatheic the first few weeks and am really just now getting back into physical activity.

Also, it seems I get sick easier now that I quit, which is wierd. I have had two colds and a flu since quiting. Before that I hadn't had more than a cold a year for a long time.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks
    That sounds very similiar to what I went through. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I still have an occasional craving at three months out, but they are easy to overcome.

My appetite went through the roof though, and I have probably gained about 15 pounds because I was very apatheic the first few weeks and am really just now getting back into physical activity.

Also, it seems I get sick easier now that I quit, which is wierd. I have had two colds and a flu since quiting. Before that I hadn't had more than a cold a year for a long time.
    Yeah... I have the flu RIGHT NOW. It hit me Saturday morning when I was getting up to go skiing. I was about to go out to start the car and load my gear when I started feeling down in a hurry. By noon I was in bed in total pain. I'm just getting over it now (Monday night). I was going to try and ride my bike later this week if I feel better.

I feel totally over the tobacco, but still fighting the constant eating. Having the flu helped in that department, I guess . I haven't been able to eat much the last few days.

I bought a Gazelle from a friend and put it in the garage; the first few days I quit I would go out and use that thing hard when I was havng cravings.

I am so totally glad that I quit, but it really bugs me that I can't get fired up for skiing or biking as much as normal - it doesn't help that it hasn't snowed here in a while but it has been really windy, so both skiing and biking kinda suck lately.

I am trying to put together a Montana trip in a month or two as a personal reward for quiting and to maybe jumpstart myself back into full throtle skiing.

Thanks for the support though - even if you like the Steelers...
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    I feel totally over the tobacco, but still fighting the constant eating. Having the flu helped in that department, I guess . I haven't been able to eat much the last few days.
    The apetite should subside with time, mine has. I lost at least 5 pounds in a day when I had the flu, and it was on fucking New Years no less.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    I am so totally glad that I quit, but it really bugs me that I can't get fired up for skiing or biking as much as normal - it doesn't help that it hasn't snowed here in a while but it has been really windy, so both skiing and biking kinda suck lately.
    The motivation should return as well. I have been a lot more active lately than I was for the first month or so. I wish I hadn't let it get this far but quiting was my primary concern and I was willing to let some other things slide, such as eating right and working out, to accomplish that goal. Now that I have quit, I have been getting the itch to work out a lot more. Being sick did not help matters much though.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

drink lots and lots of ice water. that will help with curbing your appetite, raise your metabolism, and keep you busy.

I bought a new bike tire and thinking about new pedals. Maybe that will motivate me into hitting the trails.

don't give in when you trick yourself that you "deserve" one since you have gone so long. you can never put that shit back into your mouth again.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    don't give in when you trick yourself that you "deserve" one since you have gone so long. you can never put that shit back into your mouth again.
    don't smoke the tobaccie cock!

You are only cheating yourself.

I never even think about it when I quit. Until I start back up again. Usually takes a few months.