Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Its dumping!

68" in 24 hours as of 3pm...stilll snowing. Probably more up top......good god.

-- The sign says 59" overnight

-- Freezing our asses off waiting for the goods, it was not to be today. Supposed to open at 12:00 tomorrow.
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 11-20-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Yeah, you see my prominent position up front biatch

Blurred Elevens Guest
    I'm sooooo fucking jealous right now it's not even funny. That's shitty that you dudes have to wait around for them to open though...

[crosses fingers]don't open the ridge until tuesday so i can actually get some[/crosses fingers]

You biatches better be getting some tomorrow!!!! At least take 1 pic so i may be ablel to look at it after work.

Who's gonna be up there tues-Fri?

And i feel a Battle of the Fluff part 2 coming on
    Last edited by Mountainman; 12-27-2003 at 08:38 PM.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Freaking unreal!!

As far as I know, the 63 in 24 at Crystal was a record one day dump at a ski area. It was insane, as it was puking 4-6 an hour for a while. A few regulars parked themselves at the bottom of Rex. I told them to come join me in breaking trail to Lower Bull..through a mere 3 feet of fresh at the time. I ended up breaking most of the trail, not wanting to wait for the slower youngsters. Just before making it to the main run, along come a fresh Jim Bison and Gil Haines, who laughed, thanked me and blow by for insane first tracks, leaving me huffing and puffing...the bums!!! We made a couple laps before convincing the guys in line (notably including my buds Wayne G and Keith R, the slackers!!)that Rex would not open. Meanwhile, up above, the patrol were gingerly skiing down, setting off slides all the way down. Robert Bartsch, head cat driver, described a hellish ride down also.

As the snow continued, finally totalling 93 in 2 days, we wondered if and when Exterminator would go. Back in the late 60's, a 39 inch slide released, ran 1500 vert or more, hit the lower lift shack, flinging it many feet in the air. The backwash filled Silver Creek, and inundated the daylodge with spray, thus the reason for the big hump which is now a fixture on lower E.

After a few hours of skiing only two good runs, most of us got bored and gave up. The entertainment became helping folks dig out of the parking lot. Only one guy in a Jeep Cherokee was able to pull out aiming uphill. After only 4 or 5 hours, my Toyota was little more than a big bump. The next day, Friday, was the same, lower mountain only, so rather tracked out. The upper mountain didn't open till Sunday, by then, in typical PNW fashion, a major warming trend had moved in, turning the slopes to guanch. I didnt even bother to go out.

It looks as though it is still dumping at Bridger, hope they open sometime tomorrow.

Meanwhile, it's snowing 1-2 an hour in the Cascades and cold, so you know it is gonna be blower!! Shot 6, Elevator, Rocks Off and Gunbarrel will be where you can find me, if you're lucky. Shooting for first tracks in Felsen. They were just fine XMAS day, even with the firm base under 8-16 inches. Tomorrow, well....just be there. or be square!

http//:www.alpental.com

Talked to a friend on BB patrol this evening. He told me that if it stops snowing (and it has in bozeman) that it MIGHT open by noon Sunday.

If it doesn't stop snowing, bet on Monday.

BB management has to be chomping at the bit to get open, last thing they want is to be shut down for the weekend after christmas.

My source told me it took til 11am to make it to the nose, and once he made it to the nose, he got bogged down straight running.

oh yeah, and there was over 70" as of 4pm. And it looks like we have had 10+ since then.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

It looks like the storm total came in at around 80" in well under 48 hours. And temps where in the single digits to teens. Winds didn't look too bad either. If there are any maggots out there within 500 miles who aren't going to make it, be ashamed. That is unreal. That is almost unsafe unreal. People are going to be buried. I'm 2000 miles away and I keep checking the report every time I walk by my computer. That never happens. I can't even imagine skiing snow that deep and that light. 40" of bridger bowl pow is a choking amount of snow. Epic doesn't even begin to describe the chaos that is going to unfold today.

Go get some.

Thumbs up

Real time just went down at Midnight, but it had stopped snowing and was starting to settle.....winds also looked really calm. Fingers crossed for a mid-day opening.

realtime has been a little unreliable the last couple days. It got stuck at 23 in for like 4 hours while it was snowing 3 in/hr up there.

This is probably the first time in my life when i wished it would stop snowing.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Yeah, I have been hoping that it would stop since this morning........that's always a little strange to think let alone say "fuck, I wish it would just stop snowing.." It's gotta be done though.

Looks like it might finally stop. Please open today ullr! Please.........epic report to come.

Yup, its opening today at noon. I bet MT is already in line. Oh well, just one more gaper to pass!

And another storm coming in tonight and tomorrow.
    Ben Franklin

Managed to score first tracks down the Flipper face and off of Angel's Flight. It was increadibly deep. One you got onto the flats, getting back to the groomer was a chore. Thankfully Rich was down there and managed to break the trail. Had to jet out at 3:00 p.m. because I'm flying out for three weeks in the morning and need to get everything organized. Here is some stoke. Didn't bother to stop and take any action shots, as I was too busy skiing.

Freakofsnow in line after run #1

LADskier trying to get back to the groomed

Some random skier bogged down on the flats

All in all a really great day, but I think that it was a bit better last season on the 40" day, due to the fact that you could actually ski it better. Anyplace that was not sustained steep pitch today was unskiable until about 15-20 people had gone through and chopped everything up. The Big Daddies were rockin' hard, but I wanted something bigger for sure...

baseWeldr, rode up first run with Ted and he says hi.

edit: fixin pics
    Last edited by MT; 12-28-2003 at 04:18 PM.

one buddy said they did 4 laps on the ramp yesterday with 6 new on the skintrack each time up... kewl they got bridger lift open and the high T, lookin forward to more reports soon (used several free weekend minutes today... from the beach- doh!)
    cheers to deep snow and a historic snowfall- git sum ya bastids

Quite the day that is for sure. I made a really bad decision first run and got sucked into South Bowl. Took forever to get out of there.

I was amazed at how long the powder lasted. And also discovered that Big Stix 106 turn into boat anchors when they are 4 ft under the snow. If you could keep up enough speed they were sweet, but as the snow hit you, you lost speed. Til finally one ski sank, then the next, then you stopped.

Gapers everywhere (Christmas weekend), never saw so many folks looking for skis in one day. oh yeah, and i almost died.

And nice to meet FOS in the grizzly after.
    Ben Franklin

Good god, today was well deep, probably don't get much deeper. I never thought I would say it, but it was almost too deep. People wallowing in the muck everywhere. And this was the cold smoke, about 5 percent density. Like MT said, last years 40 incher may have been better, but no matter cuz its game on now, haven't seen a base like this, this early its shaping up nicely.

After yesterdays debaucle, it could only get better, b/c we didn't open in the thick of the storm. No matter, today was blue bird. Yet again the same possee of locs was in the line early. I arrived shortly after MT and LAD at about 10 with an expected opening of 12. The anticipation was frantic. People were straight up nervous after the briefing from patrol. It was deep, damn deep in not so many words he said.

Flippers was the first pick. MT was a few chairs ahead of me. At the bottom of Flippers the posse stacked up 15 deep, wallowing in the fluff. I came in hot and was able to move to the front of the pack, RIch busted the first mole track out the bottom. Next up MT, LAD and I hit the cliff band on Flippers, each boosting a 20 footer, sticking em clean.

The rest of the day was over the head where you could get enough speed. Tomorrow should be better. Good to finally meet fez.

Guess what I'll be calling in SICK! Oh yeah, ITS SNOWING AGAIN AND 3 MORE FEET ARE EXPECTED. IF you have free time on your hands and you are not in your car driving towards Montana, well your loss

MT shredding it

Snorkeled

Vid of the day -- http://www.bridgerbowl.com/fs_dailyImages_qt.php -- Doesn't do it justice
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 11-20-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Couple more for your viewing pleasure

Last edited by FreakofSnow; 07-19-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Damn dude

I hadn't even considered flippers. It's always been one of my favorite runs, but since it's over on ze knob I always forgot about it on a pow day. Every time I hit it, I tried to imagine what it'd be like to be able to charge it full throttle and point it, blindly leaping in. The landing and bumpfest afterwards always stopped me from doing anything resembling that, and you'd have to have a pretty sizable day to pull it off. And you got that - lucky fuckers.

Anyway, enjoy it, spin a lap for me. I'm working all this week, 7 days straight of 12 hour graveyard shifts. Yee-ha!

on another note, surprising it was crowded...I usually found winter breaks to be the lonliest times at bridger, because all my friends were out of town (university students usually clear out for the breaks), and I'd sit at the access gate to the ridge waiting for people to head up that I could piggyback with. I'd sit there for an hour or two and say fuck it (and I couldn't get any patrollers to go up...lazy fucks...). Kinda sucked.

rip it up boys.

Thumbs up

You boys keep the reports coming while I'm gone, and spin a lap or two topside for me. Gonna try and catch a few hours of sleep now, and then I'm Audi 5000.

Originally posted by MT
    You boys keep the reports coming while I'm gone, and spin a lap or two topside for me. Gonna try and catch a few hours of sleep now, and then I'm Audi 5000.
    foot of new as of 5am.

Flights can be missed.
    Ben Franklin

Who's gonna be up at bridger tomorrow?

I'm too beat to do a write up now. The day was better than yesterday. 14" new ontop of the 71" the day before. The snow settled a little bit (a little), and made it somewhat more manageable. Neck deep all day long. White room. Saw Slipp in line, Battle of the Fluff II coming soon!

This pretty much sums up the day

-- Note the cold smoke cloud in the middle, theres a person under there ripping silently.
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 07-19-2007 at 02:45 PM.

6 more on top of the 14 from yesterday on top of a whole shitload more

i woke up shaking with anticipation, 2 red bulls are only going to make it worse.

once in a lifetime.

the people that sit around me at work keep wondering why i have a blank expression on my face and keep shaking my noggin' in disbelief. i can't even image.

FUKKIN' GO OUT AND GET THE GOODS!!!!!!!