Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olin & Kneissl?

Olin & Kneissl?

Was talking to my foreman today about skiing. He was an instructor back in the early '80s and loved his Olins. Back about that time my brother had a pair of Kneissls. Haven't seen or heard anything about either company in a long time myself.

Googled both companies and found websites for each. Olin's hasn't been updated since 03/04 which is confusing. If they're out of business, who's paying for their website? If they're still in business, why haven't they updated it in two years? Found a site for Kneissl too but it wouldn't load properly on my ancient computer. There were only German and English flag symbols on their front page, so looks like they're still in business, just not in the American market anymore?

Anyone have the straight scoop on these two companies?

Olins kick ass.
    You want big air kid? Pull my finger.

Olin

I am pretty sure Olin skis got sucked up by the K2 monster when they were expaning their business a couple of years ago. I don't think they are producing skis anymore. My 205 olin vce's (variable cracked edge) were the shit back in the day. You could actually see dozens of cracks in the endge of the ski!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

K2 bought the Olin name and made a line of skis for a while. After a while, Olin devolved to K2 skis with different topsheets.

The Olin website is still up, but I don't think K2 makes them anymore.

Kneissl's still around. There are a few Tanker owners around these parts.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Hey Willie....what's behind the handle? Wait til i post pics of my latest saw in action!!! 3.0 cubic inches, tuned pipe exhaust, and pushing 6 horsepower!! just came from my Ontario builder, I fired it up in the house tonite!!

My second pair of skis (after some floursescent orange Kazama Foam 880's) were Olin Mark 4's.... bought in 1975. 180 cm, turned up tails, what fun!! I recently scored a pair of 96 vintage shaped Olin Selkirks for a learning bud at Play it Again Sports for $125 with binders... a good deal, eh?!

Olin Selkirks were the first non straight ski I bought. All of a sudden I could turn in heavy crud, what a revelation! I still have them but haven't used them for about three years since I got my Head Monsters.
    The K2 X14 or X15, don't remember which, was the same ski.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

I have some T@nkers and they kick ASS!!!!
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/

Off topic a bit, but Hart skis just had a rebirth in MN... The skis I saw looked pretty good and had some decent graphics.

When K2 bought Olin they made Tim Petrick it's president and developer..they had offices in stowe, once tim moved up in the company olin faultered son instead of having another competing brand on the market they just dissolved it. They also did the same thing with Pre skis, if you remember them. I still have a limited edition Dark Star. Tim was a huge dead head.
    Kneissl is still around,still make a good race stick!

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    I saw a "new" par if Olin Mark IV's on Evogear for $99. Pretty funny. I sent them an email asking the dimenions, but haven't heard back from them yet. I think I'm gonna get a pair just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODSWEATSTEEL
    I saw a "new" par if Olin Mark IV's on Evogear for $99. Pretty funny. I sent them an email asking the dimenions, but haven't heard back from them yet. I think I'm gonna get a pair just for fun.
    The "New" Olin Mark IV's are a special make up graphic from K2. same press as the original PE, it is pretty much a K2 Xplorer with an old Olin Mark IV top sheet. Cool skis.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by rbtree
    Hey Willie....what's behind the handle? Wait til i post pics of my latest saw in action!!! 3.0 cubic inches, tuned pipe exhaust, and pushing 6 horsepower!! just came from my Ontario builder, I fired it up in the house tonite!!
    Ummmm, nice Hot Saw. Do you compete?
    ~ e.e. cummings

I love my Tankers. Plus, when you say the name, you can kinda gurgle and spit it, so it sounds authentic. People on the lift ask you "What are those?" I just look at them and say (with my best terminator voice) "Kneissl".

Kneissl ceased USA ops about 3 or so years ago - but yea, they have a fairly new looking website in German & English(UK) language.

kinda sucks, because at the time I was testing 2 pairs of their "soft boots" they just were putting out in that time of the craze - they weren't great, but they didnt totally suck. Stupidly, I sent them back b/c they were going to send me another pair or two that were supposed to be better, then they killed the op. that kind of sucked.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Quote Originally Posted by skiguide
    Kneissl ceased USA ops about 3 or so years ago - but yea, they have a fairly new looking website in German & English(UK) language.

kinda sucks, because at the time I was testing 2 pairs of their "soft boots" they just were putting out in that time of the craze - they weren't great, but they didnt totally suck. Stupidly, I sent them back b/c they were going to send me another pair or two that were supposed to be better, then they killed the op. that kind of sucked.
    kneissl...http://www.kneisslski.com/allmtn.htm
    stolz...http://www.strolzboots.com/contact.htm

You are wrong on this, Kneissal is distributed by the Donoavan Brothers out of NH. The tanker skis great. 94 under foot, lamintate construction. They demo them at Gorsuch in Vail, Aspen and The beav.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    Ummmm, nice Hot Saw. Do you compete?
    Only a couple times, bdog. This is a modded work saw, not full race....I'm an arborist...But I've been jonesing for a pipe for quite some time. And this is the first 5100 ever to be modifed. Stock it blows away all other 3 cube saws.
    So I'll be the first whacko to run a piped saw aloft! Pic and videos will be all over the arborist message boards.

http://www.pbase.com/rbtree

But it's about to be a "hot"saw, non?

Last edited by rbtree; 01-11-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow
    You are wrong on this, Kneissal is distributed by the Donoavan Brothers out of NH. The tanker skis great. 94 under foot, lamintate construction. They demo them at Gorsuch in Vail, Aspen and The beav.
    i didn't say they didn't still have some distribution, but they killed their USA corporate office.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Quote Originally Posted by rbtree
    Only a couple times, bdog. This is a modded work saw, not full race....I'm an arborist...But I've been jonesing for a pipe for quite some time. And this is the first 5100 ever to be modifed. Stock it blows away all other 3 cube saws.
    So I'll be the first whacko to run a piped saw aloft! Pic and videos will be all over the arborist message boards.

http://www.pbase.com/rbtree

But it's about to be a "hot"saw, non?

Soooo very nice! Beauty choice in stoves too!
    ~ e.e. cummings

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Hot saws are so underappreciated...When I lived on the SW WA coast, coolness was judged by the your saw (better not have some lousey, cheap Craftsman or Echo), your truck, your dog, and the size of the chew in your lip while pounding Hamms or Buckhorn.

Early 90's used to ski the Kniessel White Stars...got them cheap fora few years. Lots of hot pink.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy
    Hot saws are so underappreciated...When I lived on the SW WA coast, coolness was judged by the your saw (better not have some lousey, cheap Craftsman or Echo), your truck, your dog, and the size of the chew in your lip while pounding Hamms or Buckhorn.
    Yeah baby, isn't still?!
    ~ e.e. cummings

i didn't say they didn't still have some distribution, but they killed their USA corporate office.
    Oh Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    The "New" Olin Mark IV's are a special make up graphic from K2. same press as the original PE, it is pretty much a K2 Xplorer with an old Olin Mark IV top sheet. Cool skis.
    I e-mailed them about them last week as well. They did finally get a picture up. Their response was to call the manufacturer.

I saw some Mark IV remakes last year on e-bay that were twin tipped and around 80 underfoot, which is why I contacted EVO. Anyone remember the dimensions on the Xplorer or PE?
    Driving to Targhee

I heard great things about the Kneissel Tankers, but I'd rather be bowlin' then skiing an Olin!
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife