Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Official Salomon AK Swallowtail Review

Location- Squaw
    Conditions- 8 inches of sierra cement with 10 inches of wind buff goodness at higher elevations
    Me- 6' 3" 195 lbs
    Review: Simple as this, they haul ass, float like boats, and flat out rip. But most people would like more details, so here it goes. First off these skis are almost unbelievably light while at the same time being nice and stiff. Not Explosive stiff, but purty stiff. Only at the very beginning of the swallow tail cut does the tail taper in stiffness. Upon first putting them on I notice how damn wide they are and how far forward they seem to be mounted. The whole forward mounted thing had be confused and a bit worried at first, but after realizing that you don't have to sit back to keep the tip afloat (because of the swallowtail) the center mounting allowed for snappy turns when you needed them and amazing laying over ability in pow. But despite the fact I said they are "snappy" they really really want to go fast. Ripping through the trees of red dog ridge the only thing I wanted was for the run to keep going for another 3000 feet. I think this is the first ski that actually deserves the AK term. They are damn fun toys.
    Downsides: They cost a quite a few benjamins. Still haven't completely figured out all the benefits of a swallow tail.

Overall. Rippin pow skis that desperately want a huge 60 degree 3000 foot face.

Other people with these please chime in. I'd like to here other reviews.

I won't have mine mounted until I head to Jackson for the month of January. I'll post a review of them there.

Alkasquawlik-

Would you recommend mounting them back 1cm? Or is the center mount not a problem at all.
    Last edited by slim; 12-25-2003 at 03:56 PM.

I'll give ya my review when I win the lottery.

(They sound mighty fun though)

I hate to be a jackhole, but do you count? As a spancered rider your review is biased.
    No.

he counts a lot more than somebody who hasn't skied them. just cuz he's sponsored by them doesn't mean his review is garbage, you just have to keep it in mind -- especially when comparing it to other reviews of the same ski.

stop bein a jackhole, dinms.
    focus.

Originally posted by slim

Alkasquawlik-

Would you recommend mounting them back 1cm? Or is the center mount not a problem at all.
    I'd say stick with the mounting line. The swallowtail is what allows for a forward mounting point and it's a different experience of pow skiing with your foot almost center. If you don't like them that way, when you come up to Tahoe I'll remount them for you for free.

And yes I'm spancered by Salomon and am slightly bias. For instance I'd never ever say the skis absolutely sucked and you shouldn't buy them. But I am trying to remain truthful. If someone is going to spend big bills on these skis the last thing I want to do is have them actually suck and the buyer be unbelievably bitter at me and Salomon. It's also why I asked for other Swallowtail owners to please chime in with their independent reviews. And truthfully, these skis are damn damn fun and seriously rip.

Seen qite a few of these around, they cost €600-€700 here...also see the real pro model around, 110 waist and only in a 205!...the other interesting one is Quecha (Decathalon) have their own freeride skis....€450 with sally 914 for Launcher dimensions in a 186 and €550 with sally 916 for Exploder dimensions in a 193, both wood core sandwich construction and can be seen on the hill...a pair of the larger ones was used by the winer of last years Verbier ride

Skied them all day today.

Location- Jackson Hole
    Conditions- 8 inches of light new snow (2 degree weather) with tons of wind buff all over the place. Jackson has been storming like crazy so it's deep in spots.

Me- 6' 5" 160 lbs

Review:
    These skis are fun. Plain and simple. They're really odd in that they ski and feel like a really big ski but you can snap turns on them like you can on a Pocket Rocket. Not quite as stiff as I was expecting but not noodles in anyway what so ever. Huge shovel tip and the tails definately sink due to the swallow tail. The skis provide the most stable landing platform I've ever ridden on. They're big but definately light weight and are not an exhausting ride. I'm still getting used to how center mounted the skis are. In crud and heavier snow (where the tails don't sink) I wish I was a little bit further back, but in untracked light snow (sinking tails) or in the trees I really like the center mounting. It'll take me a few more days to decide whether or not I want to remount them back 1cm. The skis are really unique... they almost contradict themselves in that they ski small and quick but are also a really big, stable, monster GS turner. I can't even begin to imagine what the 205cm 105-waisted true pro ski rides like.

Originally posted by slim
    Me- 6' 5" 160 lbs
    OK, here's a guy who deserves his name.
    Eat something! A lot of things!
    [quote][//quote]

Good review Slim-

After continued experience in the monster dumping of Tahoe I've concurred that I love these skis. They really do want to go fast and straight, but not unlike spatulas they butter turns easily and they feel like you can get them on top of the snow at any moment to snap them around with ease. All and all they I compare them to driving an F-1 car, they're fast as hell but can snap around a tight turn with the (figurative) flick of a wrist. The landing capability is awesome as well. After stomping V-Rock ("V-Rock"- a line in Squaw that consists of a 20 foot straightline, to ollie over rocks, to a blind 30 foot drop, to a mandatory stomp in a 5 foot wide chute)(and that's not overexagerating)(two buddies who attempted it this week both didn't stomp and both subsequently smashed into the bordering rocks of the narrow chute) directly in McGovern's bomb hole my confidence in these skis rocketed higher than Tanner Hall at a reggae fest. And finally even though I'm spancered by Salomon these skis, objectively, are damn damn fun skis.

Alka

Good job, you only dropped 2 names! Xover should take note!
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

And he also has experience driving an F1 car. Nice.

drC

I can do more,
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.

Now do you think I'm cool?

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik
    I can do more,
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.

Now do you think I'm cool?
    I dunno, but you win.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

,,,yeah whatevert.
    No.

Bumping for 2.12.06 relevance
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Bumping for 2.12.06 relevance
    Heheheh shhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    Upon first putting them on I notice how damn wide they are and how far forward they seem to be mounted.
    Heh. 95mm is "damn wide"

How things have changed.

Is this ski still universally loved?

If it is mounted back 1cm, is it a versatile do anything ski??
    Seems a bit narrow to use today as a pow only quiver ski.
    . . .

Just a quip, they're on S&C for $312 US, so if you were considering them, and you rush, you won't have to pay a fortune. At least if you don't count shipping...
    Last edited by 3eyedsmiley; 02-12-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Yes, Watson.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    Yes, Watson.
    *blushes* Why thank you Sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot
    Heh. 95mm is "damn wide"

How things have changed.

Is this ski still universally loved?

If it is mounted back 1cm, is it a versatile do anything ski??
    Seems a bit narrow to use today as a pow only quiver ski.
    Things haven't changed that much. They were never really that ridiculous, even in their first year -- they just feel wide. Tips are as wide as gotamas.

They feel way wider than my 93mm waisted t@nkers, and riding up the t-bar next to people w/ gotamas, etc., they LOOK a helluva lot bigger. I routinely get "those must be like 100 somethin, eh?"

But yeah, I now have mine mounted 2 cm back and they do better in powder. If you're looking for versatility (not just pow/crud) leave 'em at original or maybe 1 cm back? if you leave them at the original mark be prepared to take some time to get used to them every time you click in. Before I remounted them they were really fun on groomers, soft bumpy stuff, and crud, but dove in deeper pow,

Now they're much more stable in heavier/deeper crud and pow, but sort of a beast on groomers and bumps.

On both mounts you have to really lay them over for maximum fun...

They make a good transition ski for 'tweener days.
    Last edited by focus; 02-12-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks, Focus.
    You saved me $325.

Maybe part of the problem is that the edge stops well short of the end of the tail. Its like a Swallowtail with Wingers. By moving the mount back, you get more centered on the full length, but too far back on the actual edge length.

Thx.
    . . .

2+ years later and still skiing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    2+ years later and still skiing on them.
    Still at center mount (Salomon's recommended mount), or 1cm or 2cm back?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.