Anthony Lakes TR, 1/3/06

Tried to ski Anthony Lakes Ski Area near Baker City, Oregon today but found out the resort isn't open on week days (or at least Tuesdays). Instead, we skied the adjacent backcountry.

The resort itself is nothing to write home about

But the backcountry looked sick

Reminded me of the Wasatch except with 1/2 the verticle, 2/3 the snowfall, and 1/5,000th the people

The resort's web page has pics of Glen Plake skiing this tasty chute. Avy conditions and lack of time forced us to the glades to the right.

Anthony lakes is RAD. For being a small midle of nowhere place it has some killar terrain! I woul love to get back there on a day with good conditions.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Looks good with new snow!
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

That sicky line is Gunsight Mtn. Way fun!
    If you have a sled you can go forever right from A.L. parking lot

AL is definitely fun on a deep day. There's plenty to write home about if you know where to look. Just gotta be patient with them when their power goes out though.

The chute Plake skied is not Gunsight, it's one of the Lakes Lookout chutes, just to the right of the saddle between Gunsight and Lookout.

I once had a drunken Satuday night in Baker City and was in awe of all the mullet's and 80's fashion that was still in style in those parts. The bakerites can party!

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes
    I once had a drunken Satuday night in Baker City and was in awe of all the mullet's and 80's fashion that was still in style in those parts. The bakerites can party!
    God i love eastern oregon, never skied at or around anthony lakes heard its good, go to mt ashland its better.
    If you french-fry when your supposed to pizza, your GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by cptncha0s
    go to mt ashland its better.
    uuhhhh, yea, if you feel like driving 600 miles across Oregon passing a number of other ski areas and backcountry stashes to ski another little gem

Anthony Lakes = Little Area That Will Always Rock
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by cptncha0s
    go to mt ashland its better.
    best three turns of your life......

Hit this place up on the way to BBI16. It gives up the goods. $199, really? Yes, $199.

http://forum.pugski.com/threads/anth...t-skiing.1041/

Quote Originally Posted by cptncha0s View Post
    God i love eastern oregon, never skied at or around anthony lakes heard its good, go to mt ashland its better.
    Except this season is the first that Ashland has been open in 3 seasons. Very unpredictable.

i have to make it soon. i have a good friend in her 90s who lives in joseph. i've been meaning to make it a trip. and then when i get into splitboarding, i can do the wallowa huts when i go see her.

A lakes is sick and I really miss the old school redneck vibes. Spent a few years in college ripping the resort and adjacent backcountry. Some great lines just a quick jaunt from the parking lot. Gunsight is a line to write home about, as well as Lakes Lookout proper. Some of the short but steep and narrow shots off the resort sidecountry ridgeline are great fun to straight line and of relatively low consequence. Will get back there with a sled someday....
    Last edited by wildmanwillie; 02-17-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Thanks for coming out West, Sir.
    Agreed. I don't think the price was mentioned when we talked in the lot, but damn now I kinda have to go

And the back/ side country has some of the steepest lines I've ever skied with super easy touring access. A hidden gem
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations