Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iPod in the car: cassette adapter or FM transmitter?

Which option is going to produce the best sound quality? Price isn't an issue, just want it to sound good.

as much as i dislike the extra cords with the cassette adaptor, the sound quality is much better than the transmitter, especially if you are in the mtns a fair amount
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

I just got a FM transmitter for Christmas (iTrip). It's cool but the sound quality is pretty weak. I figure it's a better toy for using with radios where you're away from your home setup, etc...car works but I'd rather have some sort of direct input.

Lightbulb

Go with the tape adapter set-up.

The FM frequency gets a lot of interference especially if you're in a metro area with lots of FM stations. Nothing like listening to your ipod and then having the frequency hijacked by fucking mariachi music. Fucking Mexican radio stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious
    as much as i dislike the extra cords with the cassette adaptor, the sound quality is much better than the transmitter, especially if you are in the mtns a fair amount
    I have to agree here. Although sound quality is significantly diminished with both, the cassette is better overall. You do lose some of the higher and lower pitches moreso than the middle frequencies. I've had four different FM adapters and they tend to break easily and have a lot of interference.

Even better though, if you've got an aftermarket stereo especially, you can usually run RCA cables into the back of the unit (standard L/R jacks) and have a headphone jack come out from behind the dash with very little mess.

Dension Icelink... Trust me it is worth it!

http://www.dension.com/main.htm

Really appreciate the fact that my new Honda has a built in line-in jack for the ipod. Agreed that the iTrip sound quality is weak sauce. Also seemed that the iTrip Fm transmitter killed the battery quick.
    Last edited by shirk; 01-03-2006 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Really appreciate the fact that my new Honda has a built in line-in jack for the ipod. Agreed that the iTunes sound quality is weak sauce. Also seemed that the iTunes Fm transmitter killed the battery quick.
    Hmm, how old is your Honda? I have an '05 and my dealership basically said that there's no way to wire an iPod directly to my stereo.

No personal experience, just found this link on another forum: http://www.davidnavone.com/ipodadapters.htm
    vapor lock - bitch.

My tie breaker on this issue was that the tape adapter didn't draw battery power. After using it successfully in a buddy's truck I tossed the packaging, then tried to use it in my car - my "super advanced" cassette deck kept flipping sides and spitting out the tape. Now I'm on the FM adaptor - which cooperates with my new Sirius radio - and I'm good.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I'd throw my vote towards the cassette adapter in this case. There is a cassette adapter that has the iPod data jack and will allow you to control the iPod using the controls on the stereo.

SmartDeck

As a bonus, it looks like the price has come down. I think it used to be around $80 for this, and now it's down to $30.
    [This Space For Rent]

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear
    Hmm, how old is your Honda? I have an '05 and my dealership basically said that there's no way to wire an iPod directly to my stereo.
    Dension... http://www.dension.com/oem1.php... directly links your OEM stereo to your iPod. I have mine set in my ashtray, so I can dock and go. Let's you use you steering wheel controls too if you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039
    Dension... http://www.dension.com/oem1.php... directly links your OEM stereo to your iPod. I have mine set in my ashtray, so I can dock and go. Let's you use you steering wheel controls too if you have them.
    Yeah, it sounds great. I clicked on the link in your first post and my car model (Pilot) isn't listed as compatible.

[quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    That thread is about something different. My car stereo wasn't stolen.

Edit: OK, I guess you're kinda right.

Yeah, it sounds great. I clicked on the link in your first post and my car model (Pilot) isn't listed as compatible.
    Honda started the line-in feature on the Element. Not sure what year, but my 05 has it. I know alot of the 06 models have it, the Civic for sure. I would have to take a walk out to the line tomorrow at work and see if the Pilot, MDX or Ridgeline have it in the 06M. If you check some of the Honda forums you should be able to find if there are adaptors to hook into your 05M head unit.

Just got home from Christmas with the folks and noticed my mom's old suby ('90? '91?) has a line-in jack. WTF?

I have the monster FM transmitter which works fine for my ipod and it also charges the battery while it's plugged in. I have friends though who have problems with the itrip that they bought.
    In regards to sound though, no matter what the sound on your ipod or any mp3 player isn't going to be as crisp or as good as a cd...they are mp3's so they are insanely overcompressed.

Quote Originally Posted by girlfriday1080
    In regards to sound though, no matter what the sound on your ipod or any mp3 player isn't going to be as crisp or as good as a cd...they are mp3's so they are insanely overcompressed.
    Depends on the level of sampling.
    I sample at the highest rate (192kbps) and the shit sounds pretty damn good on a real stereo.
    Not CD quality, but hard for me to tell.

I also sample in MP3 format. I know there are other better formats, but I opted for maximum compatability with other programs and devices.

YMMV
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot
    Depends on the level of sampling.
    I sample at the highest rate (192kbps) and the shit sounds pretty damn good on a real stereo.
    Not CD quality, but hard for me to tell.

YMMV
    Yes, if you sample at a higher rate then of course it's going to sound better, but no matter what when you are converting audio files to mp3's they are going to be overcompressed and sound like garbage. I know that the mp3's of my music that I have on my ipod sound like garbage compared to what they sound like as the original .wav file.

That's the one thing that sucks with my 05 Subaru. They had the jack on the front of the stereo on the 06 models, but not the 05s. Oh well.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl
    That's the one thing that sucks with my 05 Subaru. They had the jack on the front of the stereo on the 06 models, but not the 05s. Oh well.
    I posted about the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play a while back and didn't get much response. However, it seems to be a somewhat cost-effective way of solving the whole shitty sound quality problem that comes with a wireless FM transmitter and for those of us w/ no line-in jack like an 05 subaru.

Plus, the thing comes with the display that mounts on the dash and easy to use controller for convenient placement. This is good for those of us that tend to get somewhat distracted by messing with an iPod. All of this for $199 ain't so bad. Cheaper than a new stereo with a line in.

I second the dension ice link.

I've used both FM transmitters & cassette adaptors. They both suck although the cassette is better and static free.

Ice-link wires directly into the system & also charges the ipod. It's brilliant.

I just found this, this morning: http://www.carplayer.com/
    No idea if it's any good, but it's an interesting idea. You need a CD changer plug in your stereo. If you have an existing changer, this replaces it.

I tried the FM modulator and cassete adaptor. The cassette adaptor has better quality, hands down. The FM transmitter can't sound any better than FM radio. I wound up buying a reasonably priced aftermarket stereo with the front jack. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by jibij
    I just found this, this morning: http://www.carplayer.com/
    No idea if it's any good, but it's an interesting idea. You need a CD changer plug in your stereo. If you have an existing changer, this replaces it.

I tried the FM modulator and cassete adaptor. The cassette adaptor has better quality, hands down. The FM transmitter can't sound any better than FM radio. I wound up buying a reasonably priced aftermarket stereo with the front jack. Works great.
    Actually not a bad solution...there a few companies that do this, except you either need to put on a playlist and just cycle through it (there is no way to change between artist, etc) or run the wire into the front of your car so you can manual change. So in review:

FM Mod: Sucks
    Cassette: Not bad, cumbersome.
    Hard Wire: Viable depending on year, make and model. Good sound quality.
    Dension, etc: Same as above, better control, good sound.
    CD Changer Harness: Good solution, lack of controls, good sound.

On an aside I would rec going to a auto forum for your make and model of car... for example www.passatworld.com or www.b5one.com... and look in their ICE (Audio) section. People have tons of work arounds and custom ways to hook the good old Ipod up to their systems.

Good luck -G