Funny shit: The Floridians take over the NC resorts

As if it wasn't bad enough around here. This is what it's like during the holidays at our resorts.

http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_Beech.htm

http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/ double click the video to enlarge

http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/we...ppalachian.htm

http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/we...ataloochee.htm

Okay I am done, just wanted to share some good old NC stokage.

edit: for clarity

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    pretty hectic, the obvious incline/steepness of the vert has to weed out a few gapers.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Ah yes, 30 minutes in the lift line to ski one minute downhill. Good times. The best is that road up to Hawksnest in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho
    pretty hectic, the obvious incline/steepness of the vert has to weed out a few gapers.
    Actaully Sugar has a 1200ft vert and a couple slopes with a 35 to 40 degree pitch. Those runs are very short though. Right now I would guess there are dozens of people sliding down them on their asses etc. because they wanted to go home and say they went down the black runs.

that sugar video is great, people keep bailing all the time while standing still

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas
    Ah yes, 30 minutes in the lift line to ski one minute downhill. Good times. The best is that road up to Hawksnest in the snow.
    So you have actually been to Hawksnest? It is usually the least crowded and the cheapest, but that road is killer.

Aahhh yes... the ol days of Tom Terrific and Night Hawk's with twelver's... Good times...

Wow, two other people from NC? Never would have guessed. Looks like the crowds are not as bad as I though they would be by this time. Must be the fog and rain keeping them at bay.

The massive pre-holiday crowds at Hawksnest last week

And NC largest ski patrol to keep them under control

It's like pouring beer into an ant hill.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Oh yea... cut my teeth there and went through lots of edges. Highschool days of dining and dashing from Shoney's in Mooresville on the way up to the hills then stuffing our coats with cans of Bud and dug outs.... K2 Extremes, Schmidt North Face coats and Spyder tights... Glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Markhpnc
    So you have actually been to Hawksnest? It is usually the least crowded and the cheapest, but that road is killer.
    Yeah, I've skied Sugar and Beech (lived in Charlotte for a few years), and made the attempt up to the Nest. My friend and I almost got killed by a BMW sliding backwards into us- missed by 2 feet. (and by the way, I'm KneeDeep over on skinc.com)

I live in the CLT area, but have yet to bring myself to ski any of these places.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Where in Charlotte? I used to live in the 4th Ward off of 8th St. Great neighborhood.

Mark...don't forget to mention the influx of Starter Jackets and camo fatigues that double as ski gear...

my post from the home board...

Probably need to do something of this nature your first time out, at least if you are going to ski in North Carolina....

1. Get and old pair of blue jeans or used camo fatigues. They double great as ski pants. Plus, you won't be falling much, so there's no need for a bib. Just let the melting snow in your pants remind you that you are SKIING!!!

2. Any local pawn shop/thrift store will have a GREAT Starter(R) down jacket featuring your favorite NFL/MLB team. I prefer the Miami Dolphins or Jacksonville Jaguars. Sure to keep you warm and dry!! Something nice and un-breatheable to keep that warm air and moisture locked IN!

3. As for a base layer, really all you'll need is a nice absorbent cotton long-sleeved T-s h i r t. Helps to soak up the sweat and melting snow to keep that nice starter jacket nice n' dry. Frostbite? Who needs it?

4. Don't waste your money on goggles. Most all the resorts have a great base and don't need to blow snow. Just grab a pair of safety goggles from your workshop. You only ski once in a while anyway. No need to throw down the extra dough.

5. Just use the rental equipment at the resort of your choosing. Most resorts provide top of the line rental equipment. Bases freshly waxed and edges nice n' sharp. I know that my hill uses HEAD rentals that people like to wear backwards and click into while on gravelly surfaces.

6. Last but not least, don't waste your time on a lesson. They are overrated. Just fumble down the hill like the Floridians we love, and be sure to bumble into the lift line. It makes our experience so much more enjoyable.

Last minute pointers:
    + If you fall, dont rush to get up. Someone will be along shortly to fall over your mess and join you.

+ By all means try to ski above your ability. You'll have a nice story to tell your friends back home. The most popular is "I skiied a black diamond on my ski trip in North Carolina."

+ Put your equipment on in the parking lot. The stones offer a nice tune up for your equipment before you hit the snow. Just wobble to the hill.

+ HAVE A BLAST!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    I'm going to start by punching myself in the nuts.

Where in Charlotte? I used to live in the 4th Ward off of 8th St. Great neighborhood.
    Huntersville, exit 23 on 77
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

everybody got to get some somewhere
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

(and by the way, I'm KneeDeep over on skinc.com)
    Well damn, that explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde
    I live in the CLT area, but have yet to bring myself to ski any of these places.
    Well it's not the greatest, but it's something and you really should try it sometime since you can get some in less than 2 hours. Just don't go around the holidays. You are doing good to have 9 days in this season without going in NC. Where do you travel to?

Mark
    what day was the photo taken at Hawksnet of the patrollers?

Quote Originally Posted by miniracer
    Mark
    what day was the photo taken at Hawksnet of the patrollers?
    12/17/05
    It was some sort of patrol convention/practice thing. But they do usually have a lot of patrolers for one of the smaller places.

Thats what I was thinking.
    I patrol over at App. There was a tobbogan seminar for the region that day. I thought I knew some of those backs.

NC is a great place for blue jeans, no hat, no glove in freezing rain,sleet, snow making, or just when its 20 degrees. How else are you supposed to dress for skiing.....

I patrol over at App
    I was there Christmas eve and the weather was perfect. Crazy what a small world it is. Never would have guessed there this many TGR peeps around here.

What I like to do at App

I should be there Sat afternoon and Sunday morning with my 7 yr old boy.

The kid that does all the terrain park building, has been working in Whistler for the past 3 summers building jumps and rails. We have a great park for such a small area.

Nice..

How else are you supposed to dress for skiing.....

camo dammit, it all about the camo!

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde
    camo dammit, it all about the camo!
    It's the new black....