Avalanche Atlas Maps for Alaska, Colorado, and Utah.

Avalanche Atlas Maps for Alaska, Colorado, and Utah.
    Go To:

http://www.avalanchemapping.org/avatlas.htm

very sweet...

so, when will Wyoming/Idaho be available?
    Not that there would be a market for them in Jackson, of course!!

Wyoming Avalanche Atlas Maps

I have a Atlas started for Teton Pass. I have had access to only a limited amount of data for the Jackson area. I have tried to get more, but only have the WYDOT info and I just got a hold of a copy of the Jackson Hole Ski Atlas. I tried to get the folks at the Jackson Hole Snow Observerations to help me out but they won't. One person from that group is pissed that too many people are up there already "a bunch of rude people on fat skis that don't know how to read it themselves" I was once told. I thought it pretty odd for a website trying to provide avalanche information. Anyway the gang up there with exception of the Forest Service Avalanche Center is pretty tight about sharing any information with outsiders, about the historical slide paths in the popular backcountry areas. I have spent a far amount of time in Jackson over the years both skiing and climbing in the summer so I am not a total outsider. Anyway if you can get me more data or someone who is willing to share info that has alot of experience let me know.

I *may* be able to help...

I will PM you with some more beta.
    The pass is contentious, for sure, (I live 8.3 miles to the summit, I know) and the HOHA (hateful old Hiker Attitude) mentality is still around...they generally are a little in denial as to what the BC means to people these days, and pine for a return to exclusivity. I have heard them described as "anal retentive bearded dudes with little round glasses on Karhus, who are usually mad about dog poop on the skintrack out of jealousy more than anything else". (okay, maybe I just made that up)
    I hope that I can be of some help. We have lost so many people around here due to avies, it's just not cool to have that attitude. Everyone I know that has been here a while has been affected by a local avie death. Pity.

Jackson Hole Avalanche Atlas Maps

Sounds good. I know people at the Forest Service Center, The ski area, Exum guides, Jackson Hole Mtn guides. If you can get any of the old timers to contribute let me kow and I'll send you a copy of what I have already and you guys can add to it and then I'll publish one on the waterproof paper just like the ones I am doing everywhere else. The advantage to using these is it gives places common names so if someone goes down, the people responding to help are going to the same place. It doesn't guarantee you'll get them alive but it is one more thing help to speed up response.

This is an awesome initiative, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Would a topo map with areas marked/named help matters? It wouldn't have slide info, but it sounds like this could be useful to you.

-e