Tele Binders? What to get

My girl just gave me a early Xmas present, new Black Diamond Arch Angels. I don't know much about tele's, tried it out at the Telefair at Pico last year and loved it. The Angels are 170cm, pretty stiff ski, made for woods from what she was told.

Any advice on binders for these skis? Mostly EC and woods skiing so keep that in mind. I need to get boots too, whadda ya think?

Thanks!

B)

i got G3's and T2s on a pair of concepts
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I just mounted my first tele setup a few days ago - 7tms on AK Launchers with T1s. Tried it out on Saturday and it felt good. Bindings haven't released yet, but I didn't wreck significantly enough that they should have either. But at least even with the DIN set low there were no pre-releases. The 7tms feel similar to the G3s I demoed. But if you don't want/need releaseable bindings (I just have bad knees already and figure it might help even though they only release laterally) you can probably find a cheaper setup.

Do you remember what bindings you demoed and how you liked them? For boots, I'd look for a T2 or stiffer - whatever brand/model fits best.
    Last edited by altagirl; 12-23-2003 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks for the responses. Are those bindings for backcountry skinning too? I would like to eventually get into that once I make decent tele turns. Any advice on skins?

Thanks again,

B)

Yep. I have Ascension Clipfix skins. (The Launchers used to be mounted with Fritschis). See:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...&threadid=3865

Actually, now that you mention it, I did read on telemarktips that Karhu is developing a touring-specific model of the 7tm, which looks like a combination of an AT and Tele binding - based on the fact that it would use less energy because in touring mode there would be no resistance. But obviously lots of people tour on regular tele gear, so you'd have to be touring a lot/and long distance for it to be a serious issue.

http://www.telemarktips.com/FirstLook3.html

I just got into teleing last season and rode some Linkens. Loved the things because they seem more stable when I want to stand up and just let 'em run. Good for parateleing.
    And I'm sure there's somthing to be said about the benefits of the plate and how they're stiffer torsionally, or something, but I don't speak shop-nerd that well. But yeah, I loved the Linkens. Kinda pricey though.

I demoed some Linkens last year too. Definitely closest to alpine bindings when you stand up and do parallel turns. Very solid, but for some odd reason the hinge/joint/whatever pinched my foot. Maybe I just have weird feet or maybe it was the demo boots. Probably could have adjusted something to fix that but I decided to go releaseable instead. Isn't an issue with the 7tms.

Telemarking is stupid.

Originally posted by Pinner
    Telemarking is stupid.
    Smart arse

B)

www.telemarktips.com has loads of info.

IMO when riding them, bindings fall into two broad categories: neutral or active. There are other things to look at (durability, whether they have cables or plates etc) but IMNSHO active or neutral are the most important factors. Neutral means you don't feel much resistance from the binding when you bend your leg forward over it; active means you do feel resistance. You need to choose between the two.

As a beginner (hope that's right?) you'll probably progress faster and more easily with an active binding such as the Rotterfella R8 or the Rainey Hammerhead (these can be adjusted to be active or less active). They'll help you keep good form, edge and weight your skis correctly. Personally I prefer this type of binding on harder snow (ie pistes or harder).

I don't like these in powder because (even on fat skis) I find they tend to cause my tips to dive. That's where a more neutral binding is good. Personally I love the Linkens on a pair of big skis. Others swear by the Targa.

As you're on the EC I would definately look at an active binding - powder performance being less important and learning on hard snow more important.