Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PNW Update for 12/22-12/25

The weekend's looking bad. I'm going up Thursday to get the little window of snow and lower fl.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I’ll be a skiing golf course in Michigan… SICKNESS!
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Friday could have some potential, too.

I am holding out for Friday....although it looks pretty horrible.

I might be in for a little action in between the rain drops on Thursday at Crystal if it looks like it will be snow for a few hours at least.
    I hope, I hope this clears out by the time the new year is here!
    Mad Pow Disease!

Thursday is the one day this week I can't get on the hill. It's been raining here and on the mt all day so I didn't bother today.
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

You aren't the only people in the PNW (although I'm absent, check the forecast for Mt Hood):
    For: Mt Hood .
    Created: December 20, 2005 17:11:55 PST

: Winter Storm Warning in effect until 6 pm PST Today

This Afternoon: Ocasional snow. Snow accumulation 1 inch. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. Southwest wind 18 mph. High 26.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow showers. Snow accumulation 2 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. Southwest wind 18 mph. Low 21.

Wednesday: Snow. Snow accumulation 8 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. South wind 25 mph. High 23.

Wednesday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 12 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. Southeast wind 22 mph. Low 24.

Thursday: Snow. Snow accumulation 8 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. South wind 25 mph. High 24.

Thursday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 11 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. Low 22.

Friday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow showers. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. High 21.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 30 percent. Low 20.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. High 20.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 30 percent. Low 18.

Christmas Day: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 30 percent. High 17.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 50 percent. Low 17.

Monday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. High 22.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. Low 18.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy. High 22.

^ everytime I've gone to see my parents its dumped at hood this time they'll have the canyon open too

Too bad that forecast is for 9500 feet. At 6000 feet it will be raining.

Lookin a little better for the weekend - hopefully we get a little bit of snow to cover the crap were seeing and then the storm moves on b4 the warmth:

The associated cold front should quickly move across the region late Thursday night causing lowering freezing levels bringing the coolest air into the area
    for this storm cycle by early Friday. However, showers should
    decrease in the cool air Friday between systems. The latest
    models indicate that the storm expected Saturday may shift
    northward to affect mainly Vancouver Island Saturday. If this
    takes place the weather would likely be mild and relatively dry,
    especially in the south and central part with light precipitation
    reaching the Olympics and Mt Baker area later Saturday.

And here's the forecast for 12330ft on Mt Rainier... awesome, just awesome... can't understand why anyone is complaining
    67 inches in the next week, temps in the low 20s!

c'mon, who's up for a dawn patrol to thumb rock?

Tonight: Snow showers then snow. Snow accumulation 10 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. South wind 12 mph. Low 14.

Wednesday: Snow. Snow accumulation 6 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. South wind 15 mph. High 18.

Wednesday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 13 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. Southwest wind 18 mph. Low 16.

Thursday: Snow. Snow accumulation 6 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. South wind 16 mph. High 21.

Thursday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 9 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 100 percent. South wind 12 mph. Low 17.

Friday: Snow. Snow accumulation 1 inch. Probability of measurable precipitation 60 percent. High 24.

Friday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 6 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. Low 24.

Saturday: Snow. Snow accumulation 7 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 90 percent. High 27.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow accumulation 2 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. Low 19.

Christmas Day: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow accumulation 1 inch. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. High 24.

Sunday Night: Snow. Snow accumulation 2 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 60 percent. Low 20.

Monday: Cloudy. Chance of snow. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. High 23.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow accumulation 2 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. Low 21.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow accumulation 2 inches. Probability of measurable precipitation 40 percent. High 23.

Rain, rain, rain...

I'm going to try to ski Wednesday or Thursday anyway.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

From looking at the data on NWAC it seems like Stevens has been holding out pretty well. Temps haven't gotten much above freezing yet, I imagine due to the cold air from Eastern Washington trapped in the pass. This cold air can't hold out for long, though. I think Thursday and Friday still hold some promise if today doesn't do too much damage and freezing levels stay at the low end of what the forecast calls for.

Baker is in the worst shape. Temps have been in the 40s and their snowpack is getting hit hard.

Hmmm...maybe Friday is looking better.

(from http://www.nwac.us/products/SABNW )
    SNOW LEVELS--CASCADE MTNS
    6000 ft N, 6500 ft S Wednesday morning
    6500 ft N and S Wednesday afternoon
    5500 ft N, 6000 ft S Wednesday night
    4500 ft N, 6000 ft S Thursday morning
    5500 ft N, 7500 ft S mid-day Thursday
    4500 ft N, 6500 ft S Thursday afternoon
    4000 ft N, 5000 ft S Thursday night, except snow levels
    locally near the surface Wednesday morning in a gradually
    thinning cool easterly surface flow. While a weak easterly flow
    should continue Wednesday afternoon through Thursday morning, the
    near surface air temperatures should generally rise above
    freezing, with the recent freezing glaze slowly melting and
    sloughing from exposed surfaces

SNOW LEVELS--OLYMPIC MTNS
    6000 ft Wednesday
    5000 ft Wednesday night
    4500 ft Thursday morning
    6000 ft mid-day Thursday
    4000 ft Thursday afternoon
    3500 ft Thursday night

Cascade Snow/Freezing Levels refer to the northern Washington
    Cascades (N) through Mt Hood area (S). Central Washington
    Cascade snow levels (typically near Snoqualmie Pass) are normally
    midway between indicated N and S levels. Note that surface
    snow/freezing levels are common near the passes during easterly
    pass flow and may result in multiple snow/freezing levels.

&&

24 HOUR FORECAST OF PRECIPITATION IN INCHES OF WATER EQUIVALENT
    ENDING AT 4AM
    THURS FRI

HURRICANE RIDGE .75 .75

MT BAKER 1 1-1.5
    WASHINGTON PASS .5 .5-.75
    STEVENS PASS .5-.75 .75
    SNOQUALMIE PASS .75 1-1.5
    MISSION RIDGE .25 .25
    CRYSTAL MTN .75 1
    PARADISE 1 1-1.5
    WHITE PASS .5-.75 .75-1
    MT HOOD 1 1-1.5
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Fuck this- I'm going to take up checkers.

Just got back from Bachelor. Might as well stayed home and took a shower would of been just as wet. At Mid-Mt. it was cooling off enough to freeze. Oh well,maybe in a couple of days it will change for the better.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Is there any nonrain skiing within driving distance of Seattle (under 8 hours) this weekend?
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

You might want to look at Red Mountain in B.C. - but they may be on the cusp of the rain/snow divide.

Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath. We cancelled our Friday bus trip.
    Go BIG or go home!

Big White looks like they've escaped the rains

Blackcomb webcam lookin OK right now

skied blackcomb today. the lower 1/2 of the mtn is a total washout. the alpine is going off. full on puking from glacier creek and up all day long. knee deep through the couloir. it only got better towards the end. we can only pray that this holds through the next few days. make or break time. oh yeah: HUGE ANTI-JINX
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11
    skied blackcomb today. the lower 1/2 of the mtn is a total washout. the alpine is going off. full on puking from glacier creek and up all day long. knee deep through the couloir. it only got better towards the end. we can only pray that this holds through the next few days. make or break time. oh yeah: HUGE ANTI-JINX
    NICE.

************ANTI-JINX*******************

I was up at blackcomb today too. 7th heaven was pretty good down in the trees. Horstman and blackcomb glaciers were getting up to 4 or 5 inches by the end of the day, but tough to see much. I ended up smacking into an ice block in the middle of a carve and eating shit pretty bad. Its been pouring rain in the valley all night....it should be deep and heavy up there tomorrow.

North Shore Mountains = SHIT

Theyre gonna close any day now