Playing around in the Wasatch TR

After a Friday morning dawn patrol with grizzle and Particle, I decided I wanted some more, but at a somewhat slower pace. So I recruited a buddy from down here and we headed up Saturday morning. I was a bit annoyed to be carrying all my camera crap, what with the milkbird conditions. But, the slight dusting down in the valley led to a few inches (or more in places) up high and some goods were gotten.

Buddy enjoying lunch on the ridge.

We hit the line straight up above his head.

In the gut

Down lower, where the snow was actually even better

At one point, the sun sort of attempted to come out, but it didn't really last long.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    supurb quality stoke
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

very nice indeed

this must not have been a digital camera but a 35mm?

Quote Originally Posted by SquawMan
    very nice indeed

Looks like digital to me... (maybe a DSLR... )

Good TR, and nice photoslutting jacket.

Last edited by backpack; 12-18-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SquawMan
    very nice indeed

I'll bet you a c note it's a D70.

Cool pics as usual CS. Good to see a tele guy getting some gnar on here.

les amies l`orange!

Nice shots, dude, very nice.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Nice CS! I don't think you would have liked the tour we did on Saturday...but glad you got out too. I was worried the milk bird would be super low-vis but actually we got some fantastic views of the Wasatch. I brought my digi but the camera freaking died trying to take the first shot.

We headed off 9990 at the Canyons, down the ridge skier's right of Desolation lake quite a ways. Skied a shot down a peak out there along a pretty big, fall-line cliff that someone (a maggot I'll not name unless he wants to reveal himself) beatered just above and almost crushed himself on. Smashed helmet, split tongue/chin, and two skis over a 20-foot cliff with a rocky landing. Yipes! Fortunately we got everything together, made sure he was OK, and continued with the day-long tour. The snow on that face was variable, punchy, and tough to ski.

We proceeded below Deso Lake, then up to the top of Little Water Peak, then dropping into a saweeet shot into upper Mill Creek Canyon. Creamy goodness. Hiked another freaking steep skintrack up to the next ridgeline, and hit the jackpot: full-on cold smoke descent, yelping the whole way b/c you couldn't help but just be stoked with every turn. One more hike and a few good bc turns back into the Canyons boundary line followed by a couple pitchers made for one of my best backcountry days ever. Good stuff.

Sorry for the hijack but glad you're getting in shape with the camera gear cuz we could've used you yesterday! But my legs were beat even with a light pack...

p.s. plus did the whole tour on my tele gear...and it's got me thinking about upgrading my old tele skis (beat Atomic Stomps that I alpined on for 3 years before converting to tele). NO I can't go to the dark side...

Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    I'll bet you a c note it's a D70.
    Yup.

Particle, yeah man, my legs were fairly worked over by the end of the day. Too bad because the snow was just so dang good. Well, that and my buddy had to be back in Provo by 3 for work (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it). And dude, you know you want to convert. I mean, why do things the easy way? Possible dp again on Tuesday?

Thumbs up

Nice line there! Powder looks delicious.