Gulmarg, Kashmir News

so here's a quick update on Gulmarg in Kashmir about the upcoming Ski season.

http://www.himalayanpowderdreams.com

Speaking to Yasin from the ski shop today i learned that the first descents from the new gondola have already been made this season. There is currently a couple of feet of snow on the higher parts of the mountain, however skiing all the way down to Gulmarg is not yet possible.

The gondola is running well.

Accommodation this winter
    Yasin from the ski shop has rooms and cottages available near to the gondola where beds and rooms are available for rent. 500Rs a night will get you all your food, tea, wood (chopped), shopping, done for you with a caretaker working full time for you. There are two bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a lounge and hot water. Thoroughly recommended! Very cosy.

*** Similar accommodation is also available with Billa Bakshi, from the Green Punjabi Dhaba

Yasin and Billa's contact details are available on the site.

Mission Gulmarg
    An international team of ski patrol experts organized by Ido Neiger (www.kashmiralpine.com )will be overseeing the training of Kashmir's first professional ski patrol this winter. Read more about this incredible team at www.Missiongulmarg.com . The ski patrol will not be in place until early in the New Year, before when, you will be required to hand in a letter claiming entire responsibility for your use of the gondola and mountain.

'Powdercat' has nothing to do with the ski patrol. He is a travel agent.

Greg Von Doersten’s article Kashmir: Peace and Powder in the Last Shangri La out now in the current issue of snowboard journal:
    ""..When I mention the continuing war, Yaseen snaps back: “What war? Gulmarg has never been attacked.” I inquire further and Hamid counters, “The guidebooks and Indian government are giving the wrong impression of this area.” Yaseen reaches for the hookah, a water pipe he uses to smoke tobacco, draws a number of deep puffs from the pipe to rid himself of the ugly reminder, and continues: “Now people are coming back. New Zealand, Canada and Britain—I see new people every month. When the gondola is finished, it will be sooooooo good. ” I get the feeling that after living in this war-torn region for so long, Yaseen and every other Kashmiri I meet perceives safety in relative terms, since everyone in Gulmarg is caught up in this euphoria of hope and denial about the war."

visit www.snowboardjournal.com

as you know probably already TGR’s latest release Tangerine Dream also has loads of footage from their trip to Gulmarg lasy year.

Gondola prices are confirmed:
    a) For Phase One of Gulmarg Gondola to Kongdori 2700m-3100m:
    1) Day passes Rs. 500/per day
    2) Weekly passes: Rs. 4000/per week

b) For Phase-II of Gulmarg Gondola Project from Kongdori to Apharwat 3100m-4100m:
    1) Day passes: Rs. 1000/per day
    2) Weekly passes: Rs. 6000/per week

Some other tips for a trip to Gulmarg....
    1. Buy a 'Pharan' on your way through Srinagar
    2. Keep hold of your small change as much as you can in Gulmarg
    3. Check out the huts with Yasin and Billa - they are cosy enough especially with a batman to help out.
    4. In the Tangmarg market, look for the 1 Rupee Peanut crunches wrapped in plastic, they come in a tub. Try Butter Cakes, and 'ladoo' from any bakery.
    5. Top bottles: Royal Stag Whisky, Old Monk Rum,
    6. If you need a houseboat, try HB Arif - it is very easy to find opposite Hotel Malik on the 'Boulevard'. The owner is called Mohammed Yousuf Baktoo. Sikhara rides ~(boat trips) can be long and cold in a storm so find somewher like the Arif that is near the Boulevard. Also check out Mr Bob's Houseboats - the Lala Rukh Chain if the Arif is full.
    7. Good reading - you might find "When Men meet Mountains" by John Keay (i think) in a Srinagar book shop- excellent tales of historic travellers trampic round the Himalaya, Karakorams Pamirs Hindu Kush and Kun Lun. Srinagar bookshops are well stocked with the Classics and Biographies but not much else... best to buy in Delhi
    8. Flu and colds - if you get the flu or a cold in Gulmarg, find a herbal root called Shangar, boil it until it is black and drink it. A bit aniseedy, but drinkable.
    9. Remember 2700m is pretty high - be as fit as possible for your trip! And try to keep visits to Srinagar to a minimum!

Pre season woe for Joe,

Last of all i am sad, (well, that doesnt really say half of it), to say that i will not be in Gulmarg all season this year. During an innocent game of squash recently i damaged my knee ligaments and have been advised not to ski or board for while. A bit shit considering... but i hope you may all be out there experiencing a trully unique time in history for both Gulmarg Kashmir and the sports and madness we all enjoy so much. The best i am hoping for is a couple of weeks in Feb.

However my good friend and colleague Paul Exall will be there once again guiding when asked.

Links to our site.
    We’re also looking to get some links to our site so please email me through the site if you fancy some backscratching, and helping us out a little. The site
    will be moving away from any sort of commercial enterprise, not that it really is now. It's also being redesigned, so , yeah any link backs would be great to boost the old google rating

For now though,

Bara Assalaam Alaikum, Kripaya Bahut Maza
    (big peace be on you, please enjoy greatly)

sherpa

http://www.himalayanpowderdreams.com

wow! sounds like they've really gotten their act together.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I would truly love to go but this is putting me off:
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Foreign Office Travel Advisory
    We advise against all travel to or through rural areas of Jammu and Kashmir (other than Ladakh) and all but essential travel by air to Srinagar. There is a high level of conflict and terrorist violence in Jammu and Kashmir (excluding Ladakh). Jammu City is somewhat safer but attacks still occur.

Fair enough, but its never stopped me, and thousands of others who visit in the summertime. Problems are much reduced in winter in reality for various reasons. Also, i dont think getting to Gulmarg is as dangerous as the sorts of things you're going to be doing when you get there anyway. It just adds to the buzz.

aw come on Mulletizer. we went and we came out unscathed!

No, I should mention (again) that while Srinagar pegged out all of my sketch-o-meters, I never felt any sort of stress in Gulmarg.

The Bonin Petrels

Yeah, but, but, I've got an excuse right: I'm a pussy...

I would love to go there, as I said, but the security thing is putting me off (or more the not getting insured bit - some of my insurance claims have been BIG). I think we might go to Manali in February instead though. Will have to shed a few pounds for that as there's no lift and it's higher...

Hop: I know you guys came out without visible scars but, come on, admit it, the mental turmoil will live with you for ever. BTW I saw a particularly nice Nacho Kashmiri rail slide in Tropheo Nieve. Steezy. Not to mention your rooftop jibbage in Fri Flyt. Very extremo rad.

Not directly in Kashmir, but I traveled through Jammu and Kashmir and never had any problems (and yes the Austrian government also listed Pakistan as highly dangerous).

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34488

http://www.mit.edu/~ederer/photos/pakistan/
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer
    Yeah, but, but, I've got an excuse right: I'm a pussy...

I would love to go there, as I said, but the security thing is putting me off (or more the not getting insured bit - some of my insurance claims have been BIG). I think we might go to Manali in February instead though. Will have to shed a few pounds for that as there's no lift and it's higher...

Hop: I know you guys came out without visible scars but, come on, admit it, the mental turmoil will live with you for ever. BTW I saw a particularly nice Nacho Kashmiri rail slide in Tropheo Nieve. Steezy. Not to mention your rooftop jibbage in Fri Flyt. Very extremo rad.
    the best part of Nacho's railslide is unseen and unheard... I'm lying down behind "The Nook" sign and holding his tails while he is balancing and crying about "aaah I'm gonna fall" and "how do I look?"
    Last edited by hop; 12-18-2005 at 05:07 PM.

The Bonin Petrels

Hi Sherpa,
    Any chance you can update this information about gondola pricing & lodgin g options? Thanks,

From Kashmir Alpine

Gulmarg Gondola Rates 2007/08

Gulmarg gondola has 2 sections:

1st phase- from Gulmarg village base (2600m) to mid station, Kongdori (3040m).
    2nd phase- mid station to top station, Apharwat (4000m).
    This season J&K government is giving Ski-Pass discounts for domestic (Indian) skiers/ snowboarders. This is to make skiing available for locals. We at Kashmir Alpine support the government on this decision.

Here are 2008 gondola rates as published by J&K government:

1st Phase
    · Single ride- 100 INR.
    · Day pass- 500 INR, domestic discount- 300 INR.
    · Week pass- 3000 INR, domestic discount- 1500 INR.

2nd Phase
    · Single ride- 250 INR.
    · Day pass- 1000 INR, domestic discount- 500 INR.
    · Week pass- 5000 INR, domestic discount- 3000 INR.
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 12-03-2007 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Accuracy

get out and live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    I would truly love to go but this is putting me off:
    it's worth the "risk", soooo worth it.

Besides, you probably have a higher chance of dieing in a car crash in USA than from some random 'violence' in Kashmir.

the dude's right - better to live on your feet, surely.

Anyway, the violence out there is hindu-muslim, with both sides unwilling to target westerners for fear of dragging bigger boys into their conflict. I believe the last time westerners were killed out there was during a hostage-taking in 1996.

God knows how many people have died from coconuts, chairs or boredom since then...

Peas

Gulmarg '07/08

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I should mention...Srinagar pegged out all of my sketch-o-meters...
    With good reason. Sketch-o-meter. Brilliant!

News from YESTERDAY

News from 1 YEAR AGO

http://myhouseinpanama.blogspot.com/

Except for disappearing this is easy meat compared to any of the balled bullshit things like Himalayan Ski descents - anyone says it kill one in a 1000 but 50 % of the expedition I had joined succomed for sure all Jap./Kor. engineers best of the best climbers of their nations.
    Sure wont get a scratch or any like that here.Looks 30 times saver than Lech.
    Heed my advice: Carry body ringworm cream on you !
    Nomaste ain´t right any more - now there are Maste !