Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Seattle ski area questions

Hi,

I am considering going to the PNW for the Xmas week as it is pretty much the only place in NA that I haven't skied (except for 49 North which was ZZZZZ...)

It looks like the 4 biggest/more interesting areas are Crystal, Alpental, Stevens and Baker. Are they all pretty similar or is there one that stands out (terrain being my #1 priority)? How do they rank in terms of crowds?

Is there anything other than these 4 that's worth making a detour?

Assuming I'm crashing in some burb right of Seattle, can I make it to Crystal, Stevens and Alpental in less than 90 minutes? Or would it be smarter to stay somewhere else? (I'd like to ski a different area every day and resort lodging is out of my price range at Xmas...)

Would gladly buy the beer to anyone willing to show me around...

Thanks,

Steve

Check the weather forecasts before you come out here. Everything is icy right now. I'll show you around Baker for beer...I won't be around until the 28th though.

You should be able to get to all three mentioned areas in 90 minutes from Seattle, traffic not withstanding. I would count on it being crowded everywhere. Baker and Crystal have the best terrain options. Alpe is small but does offer some great steeps and hucks. I might be available to ski on the 26 - 27th or so.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Since it will most likely be clear with no new Crystal will be worthy. Killer views of Rainier and lots of terrain. 90 minutes from Seattle should be doable-
    Stevens is holding up well-good terrain and easy to navigate the mountain.
    The pipe isn't open yet if your are into that kind of shit.
    www.chronicski.biz

Thats an easy decision, If your willing to make the drive head to Baker nothing else like it in the PNW. I'll be riding 18-30th so PM me and we'll grab some tasty lines

Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    You should be able to get to all three mentioned areas in 90 minutes from Seattle
    Stevens and Crystal are marginal in 90 minutes. I'd say more realistically 90 minutes to two hours. Unless you have a helicopter you can't get to Baker in 90 minutes More like 2.5 hours minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knuckle
    Since it will most likely be clear with no new Crystal will be worthy.
    ...or it might be raining.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41560

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre
    Xmas break for high school? Rad. Baker kind of sucks unless we have pow. Then again, Crystal has no park. Otherwise, the park at Snoqualmie is going off at the moment, Stevens at least has long groomer laps, as well as Crustal. Ride on, brotha.
    This is the calmest response I have ever seen by ogre.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble
    This is the calmest response I have ever seen by ogre.
    I suspect "Ogre" forgot to log out before responding.

Fire ye auld proverbial flare o'er the bow a day or two prior to materializing. We'll manage to dredge something up.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear
    I suspect "Ogre" forgot to log out before responding.
    That figures, because only nerds know how to log out, after all! NEEERRRDDDSSSS!!

I figured, since he seemed to know the story in the PNW, that maybe he had just taken a hit of some potent BC bud while he was up in the area, and was feeling extra mellow.

But yeah, the other solution makes sense too

I'll be floating around the PNW, likely in or around Alpental. drop a pm when you have some plans in place. Depending on weather, I could likely be at any one of the "4" mountains.

Thanks guys for all your replies, will shoot PMs if I head your way. Snow is definitely required for this, so it will be a Thursday the 22nd call.

Any other info would be appreciated...

Steve

Crystal is #1, if the back-country is open (unlikely) do not miss this.

Stevens, if you are there in the morning go to the back-side first. Stevens is most fun after dark. Some of the best night skiing in the country. No lines at night. I will be at Stevens with a group from work Friday night.

Baker, get a hotel near Bellingham. The drive from Seattle is brutal.

We are expecting new snow all of next week, so the conditions should be improving.

These are not destination resorts, so don't expect too much here. A fun place to learn how to ski, and an easy drive from the city on the weekends. I live here and learned how to ski on these mountains, now I do most of my skiing out of state.

I live here, learned how to ski and snowboard here at these mountains (snoqualmie and Crystal as a kid) and I STILL SNOWBOARD here. This place is unbelievable** (**edit: when it snows)

I will be at the various goods, depending upon the snowfall. PM me or post when the time draws near.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscream
    so don't expect too much here. A fun place to learn how to ski, and an easy drive from the city on the weekends. I live here and learned how to ski on these mountains, now I do most of my skiing out of state.

The skiing here is amazing, it's a large part of the reason we moved here. I normally come back from skiing out of state thinking how good we have it on our doorsteps

Crystal, Baker and Alpental are not to be missed - Stevens is ok but ultimately is a rather forgettable place when stacked up against them.

We are due a lot of snow soon - but forecasts aren't showing anything other than rain and high freezing levels for next week. 3000ft is the magic number to look out for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Bing. Bong.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    The skiing here is amazing, it's a large part of the reason we moved here. I normally come back from skiing out of state thinking how good we have it on our doorsteps

Crystal, Baker and Alpental are not to be missed - Stevens is ok but ultimately is a rather forgettable place when stacked up against them.
    Agreed. And thanks for clarifying that....

Crystal is #1, if the back-country is open (unlikely) do not miss this.

Stevens, if you are there in the morning go to the back-side first. Stevens is most fun after dark. Some of the best night skiing in the country. No lines at night. I will be at Stevens with a group from work Friday night.

Baker, get a hotel near Bellingham. The drive from Seattle is brutal.

We are expecting new snow all of next week, so the conditions should be improving.

These are not destination resorts, so don't expect too much here. A fun place to learn how to ski, and an easy drive from the city on the weekends. I live here and learned how to ski on these mountains, now I do most of my skiing out of state.

you retarted JONG! your first post on this board if one of the worst i've ever seen. in no way should anyone take your monkey JONG advice. listen to everyone else, this dude is off on all his points.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Flame on! How about offering some helpful advice rather than thrashing mine. Over 30 years of skiing the Cascades makes me qualifed to comment on them. If you have ever skied anywhere else you would know that the amenities here are not on the level of the premier destinations.

I am not saying that it is bad here at all, only that if you could choose one place to take a ski trip/vacation, would it be Seattle? If you answer yes, then ignorance really is bliss.

Flame on! How about offering some helpful advice rather than thrashing mine. Over 30 years of skiing the Cascades makes me qualifed to comment on them. If you have ever skied anywhere else you would know that the amenities here are not on the level of the premier destinations.

I am not saying that it is bad here at all, only that if you could choose one place to take a ski trip/vacation, would it be Seattle? If you answer yes, then ignorance really is bliss.
    Get back to your SKI magazine. You find any good tips on who has the best grooming or tennis facilities on this board.

For the best grooming in Washington, try Mission Ridge. You're welcome.

90 Minutes from Seattle?? Guess it's been a while since I moved, but seems to me I remember it being more like:

Crystal 2 1/2 hours
    Alpental 50-60 minutes
    Stevens 2 hours
    Baker 3 1/2 hours

Maybe I just drive slow.

Over 30 years of skiing the Cascades makes me qualifed to comment on them. If you have ever skied anywhere else you would know that the amenities here are not on the level of the premier destinations.

Jong - You will lose a who has skiied where argument around here.

Not many of us consider resort amenities as an important factor in selecting mountains to ski. Many would consider them a negative attribute.

Based purely on the quality and scope of skiing in Washington - I'd have to think very hard before discounting it if given the choice of only skiing in one state.

What the hell have you been wasting your time at for thirty years to have not got it?

For the best grooming in Washington, try Mission Ridge. You're welcome.
    And don't talk about groomers again - they upset me.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 12-16-2005 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........