Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    What the hell is a jong?

If you can ski here, you can ski anywhere. In the fall and spring we have Cascade concrete, in the winter it's Cascade crud.

I agree that we have a few good runs, however not enough to justify the current price for a lift ticket. Stevens Pass is at $49, the same price as Alta.

I get it. Someday you might.
    Go BIG or go home!

Quote Originally Posted by Xscream
    Flame on! How about offering some helpful advice rather than thrashing mine. Over 30 years of skiing the Cascades makes me qualifed to comment on them. If you have ever skied anywhere else you would know that the amenities here are not on the level of the premier destinations.

I am not saying that it is bad here at all, only that if you could choose one place to take a ski trip/vacation, would it be Seattle? If you answer yes, then ignorance really is bliss.

sorry dude i get all emotional and shit sometimes. but that was one of the worst first posts i've ever seen. my advice is to read every back-issue of powder you can get your hands on, get some fat skis, a neon one-piece and practice your spread eagles off backcountry booters.

edit: get what? i get deep snow, and uber fun lines that's just as good as anywhere in the continental u.s.
    Last edited by Zeedashbo; 12-16-2005 at 07:40 PM.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

What the hell is a jong?

If you can ski here, you can ski anywhere. In the fall and spring we have Cascade concrete, in the winter it's Cascade crud.

I agree that we have a few good runs, however not enough to justify the current price for a lift ticket. Stevens Pass is at $49, the same price as Alta.

I get it. Someday you might.
    North Back, South Back, most of the stuff between them, North Cascades, stable maritime snow, Washinton Pass, Baker dumpage, Alpental Valley, Chair 6 at Crystal, Chair 2 at Alpie, Nash, Volcanos, Glaciers, Snorting Elk beers.....

Figuring out what JONG means is the price of admission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    North Back, South Back, most of the stuff between them, North Cascades, stable maritime snow, Washinton Pass, Baker dumpage, Alpental Valley, Chair 6 at Crystal, Chair 2 at Alpie, Nash, Volcanos, Glaciers, Snorting Elk.....

Figuring out what JONG means is the price of admissison.
    Is the back country going to open this year? I heard a rumor that Crystal is having a dispute with the forest service over property lines.
    Last edited by Xscream; 12-16-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    Go BIG or go home!

Also how were those areas last year? I never had the opportunity to check them out.
    Go BIG or go home!

Is the back country going to open this year? I heard a rumor that Crystal is having a dispute with the forest service over property lines.
    search function

Didn't you hear the wooting?

O.k. I'm convinced you're right, you should ski somewhere else.

It's good to see so many fanboys even after last years "season" and this years price hikes. I am suprised by how many people will just bend over and let these areas stick it to them.

I will still ski here, but when I finish I will be in the parking lot selling my lift ticket for half the price.
    Go BIG or go home!

It's good to see so many fanboys even after last years "season" and this years price hikes. I am suprised by how many people will just bend over and let these areas stick it to them.

I will still ski here, but when I finish I will be in the parking lot selling my lift ticket for half the price.

I'm new to this forum so I try to stay out of things but you're a dickwad

You're soooo right.

Fuck the ski area owners for not allowing it to snow last year.

While selling your lift ticket in the lot should someone spear you in the scrotum with the tip of his ski pole don't forget to say hi - it'll be me

No half price ticket for you then.
    Go BIG or go home!

Is the back country going to open this year?
    Huh? Is that really the question you are asking? Sort of like asking, will it snow again this year?

And potentially being told never to set foot on the mountain's property again but if it's worth it to you, go for it. I mean you've already had 30 years of skiing here, who needs anymore?

What the hell is a jong?
    And I guess since I know what a jong is, I can be as rude as I was above...maybe...maybe not....
    Mad Pow Disease!

Xscream, you need to leave. You obviously do not belong here. This is where you belong.
    No.

Bomber's droppin 'em like hiroshima. maybe we can convert this guy into a powder skier.

If you have ever skied at Crystal you would know what I mean about the back-country. It remains roped off unless the ski patrol determines that no avalanche hazard exists. Cross the ropes and you will be the one banned from the mountain.

Is it going to snow again this year? That's a fair question considering last year and the high pressure system we have right now.

No one has ever called me a jong on the slopes or to my face. It must be a message board thing.

As far as finding ways to ski cheap, yes it's worth it for me. Some people hike, some scalp, whatever. Do you really think they can ban you? Do you have to show your ID to buy a ticket?
    Go BIG or go home!

don't Worry Xscream is obviously a superstar. Only someone who can't ride the goods or powder would ever bother to knock Cascade country. Our nice wet snow sticks to lines that no one would even consider rideable if all we got was blower pow. Even better than that Baker gets more than its share of light snow usually in Feb after we get a nice deep base. Plus the PNW doesn't have the attitude so evident in Park City or Tahoe. Only real shortcoming is lack of consistent steep lines 45-50 plus down several thousand feet of vertical. But then again who has that inbounds anyways?
    Last edited by whatcomridaz; 12-16-2005 at 09:16 PM.

if you used the search function, you could probably find out what's going on with the crystal backcountry access. crystal might call their north and south flanks 'backcountry', but it's more like an inbounds closure and it opens whey they have controlled the snow. whereas real backcountry doesn't usually have avalanche control. so i'm pretty sure your idea of backcountry has and will be opened this year at crystal, while my idea of backcountry never closes or gets roped off.

Go back and read my first post. I have been on the defense ever since. I am not bashing the Cascades. I stated that for someone to fly 3000 to ski, has many other choices to consider. My fear is that people will come here expecting Whistler and be dissappointed. They will then tell everyone how much it sucked.

All I said was don't expect too much.
    Go BIG or go home!

Go back and read my first post. I have been on the defense ever since. .

welcome to the TGR forums. now go get a neon one-piece and practice your daffy/twister/spreads and you might fit in. or you'll just end up getting made fun of for skiing groomers in sun valley. but nobody can talk shit to someone who skies pow in a neon one-piece airing off everything and doing spread eagles. for added points, get one of the racoon hats like davey crocket extra steeze. and while your at it, do this all on 223 dh boards cause real skiers don't need phat skis.

I learned how to ski bumps at Stevens on my Olin 210cm era 1984. Yes, I still have the stretch pants, maybe I will model them for you sometime.
    Go BIG or go home!

I learned how to ski bumps at Stevens on my Olin 210cm era 1984. Yes, I still have the stretch pants, maybe I will model them for you sometime.
    But what did you do the first nine years of the thirty you've been skiing here stud?

Back to the thread - Steve when the snow comes please come and visit us - All of the PNW mags promise you skiing you'll never forget and that will rarely be bettered. Mr Xscream will be skiing elsewhere. He obviously needs valet service, martini bars, Bogner boutiques, fall line groomers, lego land ski in ski out condos, complimentary hot chocolate, sniffle stations and the company of Texan Dentists to enjoy the slopes. Luckily we don't have any of them and our skiing is far better for it.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...hlight=crystal
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 12-16-2005 at 09:54 PM.

People travel to Seattle for our four foot rule in the strip clubs with the Fred Meyer lighting, the total ban on smoking in public businesses, the over abundance of overweight tatooed single moms and the sticky green buds. I don't think anyone would travel here to ski in a "whistler-esque" atmosphere. They come here cause we got the goods.
    www.chronicski.biz

If you have ever skied at Crystal you would know what I mean about the back-country. It remains roped off unless the ski patrol determines that no avalanche hazard exists. Cross the ropes and you will be the one banned from the mountain.
    Yes, I have skied Crystal, and I do know what you mean, and I have been out in the back country already this year...maybe you mean something different than I do.

Is it going to snow again this year? That's a fair question considering last year and the high pressure system we have right now.
    Dear god, please help us, I hope so. Maybe next week but it could fall as the little drops that we all hate as opposed to the flakes we all love.

As far as finding ways to ski cheap, yes it's worth it for me. Some people hike, some scalp, whatever. Do you really think they can ban you? Do you have to show your ID to buy a ticket?
    Yes, I know second hand they can ban you from the mountain for selling used tickets for any price.

Hiroshima was very big, I think I'm dropping 'em like mini avy chargers.

I guess I was supposed to smoke the crack after posting, right? Oops!
    Mad Pow Disease!

No one has ever called me a jong on the slopes or to my face. It must be a message board thing.

North and South back have both been open quite a bit this season. Not bad considering it is only Dec. 16th. I am sure it will snow again this year, NOAA suggests a "normal" season, not influenced either by El Nino or La Nina. "Normal" NW winters are pretty damn good. I am glad you mostly ski out of state. Must be those great amenities you mention. 'round here we are much more about the skiing.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Wow, it's pretty obivious that people really love to ski here(PNW). I sure hope our little secret doesn't leak out to the rest of the country. On the other hand, maybe our economy could use the boost from the increase in tourism.
    Go BIG or go home!