Thumbs up Rev's Scarpa Denali XT Review

I came across some unexpected fundage on Friday, so I did what any self depricating gear whore would do--I immediately blew it on a pair of Scarpa Denali XT's. I'd been eyeballing these guys for a while and seeing that I have no pass this year, I knew they'd be worth it.

The only touring boots I've used previously were Nordica TR12's, which I got on proform for a rediculous price last year without ever having used them. Big mistake. They are softer than my hiking boots and ski like rear entries without their buckle.

On saturday I went to the shop and had the Denali's "fitted" to me using the oven, etc. 2 hours later, I had adjusted my Fritchis and was skinning up the first ridge on my inaugural tour in the Denalis. Damn! After touring primarily in my Atomic Beta Races for a few years, the Denali's "walk mode" and custom fit was a welcome sensation. Their light weight, though somewhat off set by the weight of my 190 Gotamas, was also noticed immediately. My real concern, however, was how they were going to ski. While somewhat soft, the Gotama is not to be trifled with.

After digging the pit and shedding my skins and eating lunch with my friends, I stepped into my skis. I then kicked my heels and leaned forward, buckling the XT's up nice and tight. I flipped the switch to ski mode, and welcomed their relatively forward position. I awaited my turn then dropped down the 34 degree mixed pitch of light Rocky mountain fluff and crustified, sun baked shit on sugar. Upon the first turn I knew I had made a great purchase. I had total control of the tips and didn't have to struggle to keep my weight forward. It got a slight bit dicey once I hit the area with about 3/4" of crust on top, but even then, some slight hopping made it all good. We only did one lap due to time constraints and the fact that my camelback had exploded inside my backpack. But it was indeed enough to know that these things were the schizz!

Nerd Details:

Set up: 190cm Volkl Gotamas with Freerides mounted 1cm forward and sans toe shim.

I also used my Surefoot foot beds in the XT's, which made a noticable difference in fit for my wide, flat size 11.5 US feet.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Re: Rev's Scarpa Denali XT Review

Originally posted by The Reverend Floater
    I
    I also used my Surefoot foot beds in the XT's, which made a noticable difference in fit for my wide, fukt up, surgically repaired, polydactl, bloody, 4 knuckled toed, hammered, flat size 11.5 US feet.
    glad the boots gave ou love rev

Ha! Love it!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

After almost 150+ days over two seasons both touring and on-mountain, instructing, hiking on rocks, driving both twintips and monster skis I can say unhestitatingly that this is the best boot I've ever owned.

yep Denalis are the shizzle for sure. Rode em in bounds most of last year, they were great most of the time. Specially on a soft day, you barely notice the diff. Word of caution though, they ain't built for launching anything big, flex in the back seat....ouch.

nice review
    I have skied on mine for the past two months.
    I need to dial mine in better but am pleased with the performance/fit/warmth and all around comfort.

I had to chime in b/c I have the same setup.

1cm forward huh?
    tell a difference?

Sweet...

Nice review... Got me wanting a pair. Sucks about the camel back. i gave that shice up after two many incidents. They just don't holdup to the abuse of the air to back action !
    Give me a beat to pump to fatty.