Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obligatory Kirkwood report thread for today, Sunday Dec. 21 AKA SHIT WENT OFF!

Today was off the hook.
    Got there around 9. Ran into Nater, DJSapp, DiveGirl, and Laght. Headed immediately to Eagle bowl and scored the fresh. Headed straight to backside and scored more fresh right off the backside side of Vista. Super high speed windblown untracked pow. Nater went to hike 99 steps and I went for Vista and lost the rest of the group. All I can say is Vista was the shit. Skied it once from 4 then hiked it 4 more times in a row from top of Caples. Every time I skied a new line and every time it was completely untracked. The wind hadn't even messed up the snow, it was really good in there. Lots of super high speed lines through rock bands and the chutes in there (you know the ones).
    Spent the rest of the day exploring by myself (kept looking for Maggots but suprisingly didn't run into any. First time thats happened in a while.)
    Great day.
    Will be at Alpine tomorrow to milk the remnants off High T.
    Later.

yup I was there today as well with Mrs. Shoe. Whereas Sat. was storm skiing, Sunday was bluebird and l-i-g-h-t. We met that travelin fool Yossarian at 10 @ 10 waited for about oh...5 seconds...powder rules in effect...and jetted. made a few laps in Thunder Saddle came back to the front, met up with Greydon and Hardrider (who is freaking KILLING it) and did laps in Palisades. Sick sick weekend.

I took a loooong look at an untracked Treman's today, and nearly ran it, but while I was knocking off a little cornice, one of the snowballs exposed a partially buried rock right in the middle of the choke/dogleg right. Too sketch...it will be there another day.

hey -- isn't weird how different all the lines in the Saddle, Vista, and lower Cirque are now? One second I'm getting ready to straightline a chute, and then the next I'm putting on the brakes & surprised to see air where I'm not used to seeing it.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Tremman's has more than one rock lurking in it, Ty.

BTW- how much fresh up there today since the bell yesterday?

Originally posted by splat
    Tremman's has more than one rock lurking in it, Ty.

BTW- how much fresh up there today since the bell yesterday?
    yeah I bet it does....but uncovering that one got rid of the delusions I had of running it this early. A lot of the snow in that area is still pretty unconsolidated. More than a few times I scraped down to rock on the steeper pitches.

oh and I think they were reporting 8 inches this morning Splat...but that might be 24 hour total. From yesterday's bell to this morning, it seemed more like 6, but I dunno. It was bluebird. It was light. And all our tracks from yesterday were filled in.

(and the whole time I kept sayin to myself...damn, I bet splat's day is goin off right about now)
    One Gear, Two Planks

We had major fun, but lower els gave us about 4"of dust on crust and sunbaked pow most of the day. The girls turned things up a notch, kellie ripped as usual. Great crew. Had Skogen along, way cool dude, to rip a few lines, but conditions were probably not as nice as the wood was. Saw some new turf and did some good hikes up around the Pacific Crest. Once midget gets to a computer to download, we'll work up a tr w/pics. Great to meet midget and his Oootah bros.
    [/end of hijack]

Go

Great day. Though it started off kind of bad when I found out that I bought the wrong size chains for my car. I sat at the turnoff for about 20 min. when I decided that the roads were good to go and went for it. Damn roads were barely even wet. One of the best days for me ever, which is strange since all I hear from everyone else is that this is nothing and its gonna get way better. This past week has gotten me so unbelievably stoked for the season I cant put it into words. Everyone should hope for the chance to follow tyrone and skier666 around k-wood. These loons will definetly show you the goods.

I love kirkwood

and im drunk as a bastard.
    ________
    relationship forum
    Last edited by hardrider; 01-24-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Best turns of the day on 99 steps. Wide open, untracked (at least where I left my mark) and absolutely smooth.

Lots of other good turns were had today as well. It was a pleasure and a privaledge to ski with all of you.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Some: gotten.

Pulled out a couple minutes ahead of DJ, Nater, and divegirl. In theory there is chain control: in practice no one is there to check. Bluebird ensues.

Notch Chute and something off Cornice. 10@10 but saw no one. Notch Chute again. Working on my air "skills", found some nice little 10-15 footers in Waterfall and upper Wagon Wheel and stuck most of them. Fun in the rocks in Wagon Wheel, fun in Sisters (2 PM fluff pocket underneath), fun off the Nose, fun off 99 Steps. I learned how to find the different chutes off the Wall today, which made me happy.

Note: There are more than 99 Steps. I counted 468.

No idea where everyone else was: there were a lot of maggots around but I ran into no one throughout the day. Glad everyone else got some.

Wink

I hate you guys.

I wish I made it out there today.

aaiiaaiaiiaoajhsfojhrwoooooooooooooooohooooooooooo oo

GREAT weekend!
    I posted this in the other thread, but thanks again to everyone for everything. I love the wood and the wood crew.

Can't believe that I pulled the trip off after how it started, but sure glad I did. Walt, thanks again for the housing. Ty, Nater, DG, Kellie, Splat, 666, DJ, Spats, Hardrider, SuPu, and anyone else I'm missing right this sec...great to see ya and ski with (most) of ya. Weird that we couldn't find anyone Sunday morning. For the record, I met Ty and Jen @10 and 10, and snuck in 3 untracked laps off of 10 and 6 before then...
    I did, unfortunately, rip the piss out of my skis out on the ridge adjecent to the Handrail/Elevator Shaft. The upper part of the Saddle is great, but the ridgelines in the lower half still have some serious snakes lurking underneath. Took a full double eject forward somerault halfway down when I snagged on a good one, and when I stood up, I was waist-chest deep in unconsolidated snow, standing on the ground below.
    Anyhew, drive home was uneventful. Oh SuPu: 475 mi.

yo
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Re: Obligatory Kirkwood report thread for today, Sunday Dec. 21 AKA SHIT WENT OFF!

Spent the rest of the day exploring by myself .
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Pulled out a couple minutes ahead of DJ, Nater, and divegirl

Man...this thread is slower than a slow pitch...tee ball!

Way to git sum, guys!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Originally posted by Spats
    10@10 but saw no one.
    You must have juuuuuust missed us. I met Yossarian there at 10 @ 10....on my way down 10, as I popped out of the Drain and underneath the lift, I swear I saw you on the chair and started yelling "Spats! Spats!", but I guess you didn't hear me....were you wearing an orange-ish jacket?
    One Gear, Two Planks

Originally posted by Yossarian
    I love the wood
    heh.

yeah I don't know how we missed each other after those trees mang. We ended up right above chair 7, couldn't find ya, figured you went to 6, went there, couldn't find ya...then Jen called it a day and I made 2 more laps when I ran into Greydon and Hardrider.
    One Gear, Two Planks

ugh, tough weekend to miss, but had to work.

Would have loved to been there for the opening of the backside and a some fresh snow.

Way to git some guys and gals!!!
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Sat 12/20

Another Powder weekend at the Weed!!!!!!

We welcome our newest member, hardrider

Sat 12/20.
    Shoe and I lined up at 6. No one around. I guess they must have went for the backside line. We did a speed run of freshies on Zack's, then out to Wagon Wheel with Gimpy and Sobchak and popped the cherry there too. Insanely deep if you knew where to hit the wind deposited areas.

Wall opens. Ridge to Waterfall fresh. Another lap there.

Backside time. Got to a crowded chair 4 line and found Splat. 1/2 hour wait. Lots of overamped powderpigs. As they are about to open up they announce that Saddle was closed....WTF?!?! WTFingF? That culled half the line.

When it opened we had the longest, coldest chair ride in the Sierras. Howling winds, sandblasted faces, all for a few shitty blue runs.

So we spot Mr Troller guarding the top of Saddle/Vista. At the top everyone else heads down, assuming it's closed. Splat, Shoe and I traverse over while Sobchak and Gimpy head further down.

Fuck it. It looks too good. Plus my photoslut-orange jacket looks like a patrol jacket from distance. We scope virgin lines, beckoning us like a bunch of Playboy playmates with their legs spread wide.

Suddenly Splat yells...."Hey the signs are flipped!!!! It's open!!!!"

Stoner snowboarders arrived
    "Hey maaaan. is this oooopennn?"
    "Nah, it's closed"
    "okaaaaay I guess we'll ride this open side there"
    "See ya!"

The three of us madly traversed over, out of sight from anyone else.

Shoe dropped in and all I could see was light billowing powder, cranking turns, maching down the line. Then Splat. Then I found a straightline through rocks, cranked a big pow turn in the trees and met up with my 2 cohorts. "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS FUUUCKING INSSSAAAAAANE!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" Steep Pow runs through the trees, down to Maggot Chute. I'd never seen it this early in the season. Fun drop to straightline, with the risk of pinablling off rock walls if you fuck up. Shoe points it, drops it. and the softest nicest muffled "oooomph" sound as he touches down and straightlines it. I'm up next, dropped the line to the right of Shoe and crank some big turns off the sides. I swear this felt as good as cranking turns on a 10-12 foot wave. Splat was next, and he went for the biggest air, and most extreme line.

We met up at the base of 2, screaming and giggling like a binch of schoolboys who'd just felt titties for the first time. It felt good popping the cherry on Saddle and Maggot chute for the 03/04 season.

Back to the top. Same line. We met up with 666, Greydon and the latest addition to the Kirkweed Krew, hardrider. Traverse out Hells Alternate and scoring more pow.

Went up to Wall then High T out to LC from Eagle. more fresh.

Back to the front side, collected Grandpa Yossarian and Kellie aka Wonder Woman.

The rest of the day was a blur. All I remember is pow and lots of it. Wagon Wheel lines, Oops/Poops/ Wall... It was the shit. We skied bell to bell and then ended up at Bub's for some beer and nachos. It was still dumping.

Man... Saturday was fucking insane. Will post pics as soon as I find my digicam.

Yossarian- I see your 475 miles and raise you 515 miles. If I can make it to the 'Weed 3 weekends a month, so can you

Last edited by Superstar Punani; 12-22-2003 at 11:24 AM.

This weekend kicked ass. I caught first chair on 11 and then skied Buckboard SWITCH! It doesn't get any better than that, so I spent the rest of the day in the Battered Beaver drinking hot totties, but it looked like you guys were out getting some!
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Wink Re: Sat 12/20

Originally posted by Punani
    Yossarian- I see your 475 miles and raise you 515 miles. If I can make it to the 'Weed 3 weekends a month, so can you
    ...dem be fightin' words!

what?????????

515?
    How is that possible?

How can you be driving farther in less time? No way do you average higher in LA than my 75mph in middle-of-nowhere Oregon and Nevada.

I call bullshit, where's mapquest?!

P.S. Punani, Sunday was incredible too, we were wishin you were there with us!

saturday

https://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...ormal_red3.JPG

pu - insanity over the weekend. saturday was a few feet overhead (it would've been double overhead for you ) and sunday was 5-6 up at zuma. i also managed to slice a toe from base to tip at topanga.

dammit, just checked mapquest. Okay SuPu, you're justifiably insane after all.

Originally posted by Yossarian
    what?????????

515?
    How is that possible?

How can you be driving farther in less time? No way do you average higher in LA than my 75mph in middle-of-nowhere Oregon and Nevada.

I call bullshit, where's mapquest?!

P.S. Punani, Sunday was incredible too, we were wishin you were there with us!
    Actually, 462 miles direct, or 515 if I take 50 thru Sac and South Lake.

When I hit 5, my cruise control is on 95-100, and I don't have to worry about knocking deer out

I was kicking myself Sunday.

Off the hizzok!

Besides this: http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...?threadid=4145

Kirkwood was off the hook for the 20-21. I mean, I can't believe how many great runs we did this weekend. And I had so much fun with y'all...you know who you are! Thanks for skiing with me, I had an absolute blast. I popped my chin with my pole so it was my first ski "injury" although you could hardly call it that.

I officially love powder. A couple weeks ago I couldn't ski it worth a damn, but now...a 180 degree change from here on out! Give me the powder Ullr!!

You K-wood mags are the shit. And that's all I have to say about that.
    bc-lovah

Just found this thread on page 2.
    Damm! things are moving fast around here

Hey DG

Good to ski with you. I think i'ts fair to say you are straightlining the learning curve.

After seeing you rip up Eagle Bowl I figgerd Thunder Saddle should be fun all around.

Another few days in splats crash course skiing and I'll be following you around. I just hope I can be half as good humoured.

Super day at the wood.

Well, another beautiful weekend up at the Wood...I was lucky enough to finish off with a Monday half-day before I leave to Chi-town for Xmas....so you guys will be getting some serious snow, because every time I leave it snows....BIG!

No report just pics...not many because I was busy....riding..

http://www.vidbusters.com/~casey/Kw1.jpg

http://www.vidbusters.com/~casey/Kw2.jpg

Greydon pulling a fluffy tele turn http://www.vidbusters.com/~casey/Kw02.jpg

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    You must have juuuuuust missed us. I met Yossarian there at 10 @ 10....on my way down 10, as I popped out of the Drain and underneath the lift, I swear I saw you on the chair and started yelling "Spats! Spats!", but I guess you didn't hear me....were you wearing an orange-ish jacket?
    And the silver helmet, yes. I thought I heard someone but it was really faint and I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Fortunately there will be more days this year