kb1dqh Guest

Head Monster 85 Delamination Question

Hey all,

My Head Monster I.M. 85 ski is starting to delaminate near the tip. It is right before the ski starts to curve upward. I can see the orange top sheet lifting away from the white part. Is there anything to do to keep this from ruining the ski? I'm worried that snow and water will get in and then freeze/thaw, expand/contract, thus delaminating the ski more. Should I fill it with epoxy or something?

Thanks!

JB weld is your new best friend.

mask, mix, spread, file, repeat

kb1dqh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    JB weld is your new best friend.

mask, mix, spread, file, repeat
    Is this the stuff? JB Weld Cold Weld Adhesive? So, just fill up the area, file the edges, do again?

Quote Originally Posted by kb1dqh
    Is this the stuff? JB Weld Cold Weld Adhesive? So, just fill up the area, file the edges, do again?

yup

mask the othe area, then 24 hours later file the extra/overflow away

kb1dqh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    yup

mask the othe area, then 24 hours later file the extra/overflow away
    I'm a bit of a JONG in this- what does mask mean?

Quote Originally Posted by kb1dqh
    I'm a bit of a JONG in this- what does mask mean?
    Masking tape
    Last edited by TWINS; 05-11-2006 at 01:07 PM.

BTW. I got tired of warrantying mine so I just let the last pair go. They are delaiming like you spoke of on both tips, one edge under foot and boot tails. This is just a cosmetic delaims as far as I can tell so far. Maybe 40 days with them that way, and no noticable side effects. That being said I did warranty two pairs before I let this one go, so you might want to try that. I just don't like how the skis want to hook up in crud and chop, I feel like they want to come around too fast so I am done with them, other than a rock ski.
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't

It's happened to me a couple of times. If you have the time Head will replace them but the turnaround is not quick. If not they will ski fine for a while until they start to hook up in the crud as mentioned above.

kb1dqh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl
    It's happened to me a couple of times. If you have the time Head will replace them but the turnaround is not quick. If not they will ski fine for a while until they start to hook up in the crud as mentioned above.
    Well, that's good that they'll ski good for a while, but I'm planning on getting in a minimum of 60 days this year. Not sure they will hold up that long. How long do you think the Head turn around time is? I don't have a receipt for these- got them 1 year used.

Thanks, kb

kb1dqh Guest
    Will they warrenty after I put JB Weld in them?

Only thing I know is that they warrantied Mrs. Comish 179's with a new pair of 88's. She is psyched, although she sent them back in Feb and didn't get the new skis until this summer. Prolly more due to timing of the year and that they were sold out of 85's last year. Don't know whether they will do it after using JB weld or not.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I wish I could get a pair of 88s out of my delaming 85s.... Guess that's what I get for buying demos.
    No.

kb1dqh Guest
    I got the J-B Weld and some vice grips today. Will let you know how the stuff works in a week or so when it's all done and I've skied them.