Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    All I know is this is natural. Somewhere in colorado. Called Mountain of the Holy Cross. Not sure if it is skiable, but it looks cool.
    Last edited by Catbert; 12-08-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski
    The best couloir in north america has to be the 2nd chute at A-Basin.

How could anyone ever think the second "notch" at A basin was better than the SFB(shit for brains) couloir located far skiers right out of bounds. It kuch steeper and narrower and only gets at most 8-10 skiers a year that ive seen the last 4 years. You barely even have to hike more thnan 15-20 minutes to get to the the second notch. SFB is a multi hour climb. On the top chairlift just look left and behind you and the SFB is the one you stare at and wonder if it is possible sans ropes(which it is).
    Last edited by couloirman; 02-19-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert
    All I know is this is natural. Somewhere in colorado. Called Mountain of the Holy Cross. Not sure if it is skiable, but it looks cool.

A couple of elementary aged kids from Vail skied that couloir last summer. That route sees a lot of ski traffic over the later spring months and into summer. Cool line, even better surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman
    How could anyone ever think the second "notch" at A basin was better than the SFB(shit for brains) couloir located far skiers right out of bounds. It kuch steeper and narrower and only gets at most 8-10 skiers a year that ive seen the last 4 years(present company included on a solo descent). Anyone that can ski the SFB can ski just about anything. You barely even have to hike more thnan 15-20 minutes to get to the the second notch. SFB is a multi hour climb. On the top chairlift just look left and behind you and the SFB is the one you stare at and wonder if it is possible sans ropes(which it is).

No doubt, that person would have to be a complete fucking idiot.

Attachment 8805

sorry, here's the pic of "The Gnar" on Storm Peak

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman
    How could anyone ever think the second "notch" at A basin was better than the SFB(shit for brains) couloir located far skiers right out of bounds. It kuch steeper and narrower and only gets at most 8-10 skiers a year that ive seen the last 4 years(present company included on a solo descent). Anyone that can ski the SFB can ski just about anything.
    Wooooo, big man did the solo descent on SFB. Want a cookie? Joe Beater straightlined that thing last year without breaking a sweat, as have many others. I'm fairly certain I can ski SFB; I'm fairly certain I can't ski "just about anything." Couloirman, get out a little more, eh?

Red Slate is the best Coulouir I have skied.

Probably not Moran worthy....but one of best in Sierras.

PS--I stole these pictures from a thread awhile back.....my picts were non digi from 2000.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star
    Wooooo, big man did the solo descent on SFB. Want a cookie? Joe Beater straightlined that thing last year without breaking a sweat, as have many others. I'm fairly certain I can ski SFB; I'm fairly certain I can't ski "just about anything." Couloirman, get out a little more, eh?

hey bro...you ever gonna be in summit this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    Red Slate is the best Coulouir I have skied.

Probably not Moran worthy....but one of best in Sierras.
    yeah cali, about time you showed up. seems like everbody's grooving on the pics. here's another mouth-watering-quit-your-job-and-make-it-happen shot...

Attachment 8806

maybe not #1, but gotta bring more Canukian stoke: Haig Glacier, Kananaskis

Attachment 8807

Attachment 8808
    Last edited by johnnya; 12-08-2005 at 09:23 PM. Reason: one more

Catbert,

Mt of The Holy Cross is a 14er in Eagle County Colorado. The Cross Couloir is skiable, but you've gotta exit about 2/3rds of the way down when some pretty good cliff bands block a complete decent. Don't think you get the full 1500'.

Jim
    Freshies!!

Just cause SFB was mentioned with no pic...

Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.

!!!

I forget the name, but it's on the north face of Mt. Temple in the Canadian Rockies. (I think Trackhead knows the name.)

As seen from the ski slopes at Lake Louise.

Also, KC's near Castle Mtn resort - further south in the Rockies.

mtnlions got it nailed. wasn't that the canadian twenty dollar bill couloir?
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

If you're talking couloirs that you can actually ski easily in a day from your car:

Y Couloir LCC

Slot Couloir, Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya
    maybe not #1, but gotta bring more Canukian stoke: Haig Glacier, Kananaskis
    nice shot. wish i could spend more time tagging shit in canadia. seems like co is falling asleep and ak is working happy hour for now. heres one more. no couloirs but coming soon to a colorado ticket window near you. pray for snow...

Attachment 8809

Crecent Couloir, a route done fairly often off Roundtop Mountain, Mokolumne Wilderness, Carson Pass, CA. Not the world class stuff posted here, but some of the Kirkwood crew probably knows it.

Last edited by Cirquerider; 12-17-2005 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo
    mtnlions got it nailed. wasn't that the canadian twenty dollar bill couloir?
    yup
    the old $20.

Quote Originally Posted by SIIHP
    Just cause SFB was mentioned with no pic...
    cool, i was looking for a picture of the brain. seems like there's a lot of summit county afficionados in the house. sfb is aesthetically one of the best in that area. here's a little perspective on it's neighbors...

Attachment 8810

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    morain lake, lake louise, alberta
    This came to mind immediately for me, too. Here's a picture I took of it when I was in Banff last August:

as they say in canada and new england...wicked. glad this thread is going so well. it's already a resource for me and i hope it continues to grow. let's keep the pics coming. here's something for y'all to reckon when may and june roll around and things are getting brown up here in the north half.

in my humble opinion the discussion of no-brainer access to big couloirs begins and ends with las lenas. the site is still under construction but in a month or so check out www.penumbraguides.com. pray for snow...doug

[ATTACH]Attachment 8813[/ATTACH]
    Attachment 8812

Quote Originally Posted by covert
    how much vert on the fuhrer finger?
    enough to get the pucker factor to set in. It's on my list of stuff to ski. Beautiful line, as well as the thumb.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

for a convenient day trip with good vert, i gotta go with Y...

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob
    If you're talking couloirs that you can actually ski easily in a day from your car:

Y Couloir LCC
    set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul

I'll get pictures up sometime...(they're on my machine at work).
    List limited those I've done.

Bloody (frequently done, but sweet)
    Mendenhall
    Dana
    Hourglass
    Powerhouse

There are many others both well known and not in the sierra.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

has anyone here seen the western chugach? Pioneer peak, east twin, and ptarmigain peak come to mind
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care