Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yeah, and if you ever wondered if you can drive 20 minutes in cruise control, drinking a beer, and steering with your feet all while going 70, well welcome to Nebraska.

" And the capitol of Nebraska is Lincoln"- Bonus points if anyone knows what '70s movie that line is from.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    The only downside of my trip last year was also the big upside...the huge storm that hit Colorado, unfortunately hit pretty much everywhere across the country.

It started raining when I hit the mass line....turned to freezing rain around Nebraska...and full on ice storm around Omaha, and then finally snow about 100 miles from Denver. I80 was a graveyard, I saw flipped over cars in the median, numerous flipped over tractor trailers, it was scary. Saw cars right in front of me lose it and fishtail across the lanes and fly onto the shoulder/median.

If there is any advise, its to take your time getting out there. Sure, you might miss a day, but its fucking dangerous driving 30+ hours nonstop, especially in bad weather. Naping at a rest stop for 4-5 hours, or a Walmart parking lot, or even getting a cheap motel room will be a lot cheaper than replacing a totalled car, or god forbid, something worse.

Also, make sure you're car is in crosscountry driveable shape before leaving. I had tires swapped right before I left and neglected to check to make sure the wheel studs were torqued. I was in a rush and figured they couldnt mess it up. Well, in Kentucky in june I am slowing down from around 85mph and hear a really loud WHACK WHACK sound coming from my front end and bad shakes. I pull over, and two wheel studs had sheared off, a third was completely loose, and the fourth was on tight. Essentially, my wheel was held on by one bolt. Managed to find some replacement studs and do the swap, but I was kicking myself for not double checking it before I left, and the mistake nearly cost me a lot more than a days delay. (Although upon fixing I promptly started driving again around 1 in the afternoon, and rolled into boulder 6 am the next day, and started work at 7. Still a dumbass)

You think i should be safe and get some chains before i head out? I've got snowtires and 4x4 - but never done any driving on mountain passes etc....

And yeah the vehicle is ready to go (new snow tires, new servicing, wiper blades, lights etc...)

It's such a tease - it has snowed like 2 feet in central NY but i'm in central NY - the end of december cannot come sooner!

I did fine with just snow tires and my front wheel drive honda wagon.

Doesnt mean some parts werent white knuckle, but it was never really bad.

I've got some chains, but i dont think i can get them to you before you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    I did fine with just snow tires and my front wheel drive honda wagon.

Doesnt mean some parts werent white knuckle, but it was never really bad.

I've got some chains, but i dont think i can get them to you before you leave.
    Alright thanks for the offer, i will slug it out with the snow tires

BUMP since i'm leaving in 2 days......

Starting to pack up now.....just got the car back from servicing......
    The only downside is that one of my buddies dropped out because of some shit with his girl yadda yadda yadda so it's just two of us. But we're taking an extra travel day and got a place to crash in Chicago.

Anyway, i'm pumped.....so i'll be in Aspen in 4 or 5 days and then from there i will let the storm clouds lead me. I've got a ton of maps....

So how is it out in CO right now....haven't checked the board in over a week so i'll search around.....

Also, where is a good place to get my gotamas mounted in Aspen?

P.S. - glad to be leaving the east with all this rain............wish i could take the rest of you EC mags with me.....