Unofficially official XtrPickels is moving to Bozeman thread

Whelp,
    Just got off the phone with a lady at Bozeman who offered me a TA position. Its odd that everyone at MSU is talking like I've already been accepted and the recommendations are still in the mail...
    Anyway, $1,100/month for 10 hours/week of work plus a tuition waiver seems like a decent deal to me. I'm still trying to get a job at bridger bowl so that I get a lil more cashflow and free skiing, but its tough being in Colorado. I figure if I can land that, it kills two birds with one stone. I'm going to spend my money on skiing anyway.
    I'm pretty stoked but I'm sweating the logistics of finding a place to live and maybe some part time cash flow.
    I needed to tell someone, Mom's not answering the phone so next in line are the mags...

Congratulations pickles!

welcome, sort of....
    maybe I'll see ya there this winter sometime, pm sent with some contact info
    here's some bridger repeats

What subject/department will you be in? And you're only TA'ing? Do they not have free grad student labor for that sort of thing?

I lived quite comfortably on that kind of salary for 2 years of grad school, but with way more than 10 hrs/week of work. Sounds like you have a pimp deal.

Nice... Hope to see you out on the hill. I think BB was posting ads in the classifieds for lift ops recently so you might check the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's site. Also, as a student you can get awesome deals on passes/tickets up at Big Sky (like $25 per day, which is pretty sweet). Anyway, hopefully we'll get some snow here soon and we'll be good to go for the season!

Andrew

Wow, congrats for the sick deal on the TA Position. What department are you in? I worked twice that and got paid half that. Enjoy Bozeman!
    "Hurry up and finish your wine so we can go get us some milkshakes"

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

I'm going to school for Exercise Physiology, going to be TAing an Anatomy and Physiology class. It'll be nice, all my background is in research (where i ultimately want to be) but getting experience on the teaching end of things is a good setup. (and honestly 10 hours a week, is pimp. so much time for other stuff on top of studying)

Baseweldr, thanks for the pm and the stoke.
    Homerjay- those bindings have been mounting, going to pick 'em up when I get off of here. The pole will be on its way out soon.

Everyone else, thanks for the Pm's with info. If anyone else has any leads, I'm open to anything.

Quick Questions...
    whats the drive time to Moonlight/ big sky/ bridger? I know Bridger is closest and bigsky about 45minutes? away.

I don't think I want to do a lift op thing, too much time standing outside wishing I were skiing. I saw moonlight had a greeter or information person or something... volunteer 8 hours, get a pass for yourself and sig other is what i gathered. Didn't know if it was worth chasing if moonlight was far away. I was talking with the Events guy at bridger via e-mail, seemed interested but I think the ball was dropped because I'm in Colo springs until mid december.

I'm coming from NH, by way of Colorado this fall, I'm pretty sure Bridger will be fine this year. I've always wanted to live in a place where skiing was only a few minutes down the road... if its puking its not a 2 hour drive to get somewhere. Hopefully make it out to Big Sky/moonlight once or twice and spend most days at bridger. (but this is my clueless never been to montana self, that could change)

Thanks guys/gals

Thumbs up

sounds like a pretty good setup. congrats indeed.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

figure 15-20 minute drive to bridger, a buddy of mine likes to say its an hour from your pillow to the ridge...
    more like an hour drive to big sky area/ moonlight
    I've been there a long time and I'm still a bridger guy, it may not have the overall vert but there's lots of nooks and crannies, the access to the BC is right there and you can always seem to find quality snow stashes
    if I lived in big sky it'd be different, but I don't...

check out the bozeman hot springs in the 4corners area (10 min drive from town), a guy could do worse than havin a season pass there...

Congrats!

I'm hoping to make a similar move in mid January, just putting finishing touches on my cover letter right now... hopefully I'll see ya' on the ridge!!
    I'm the man in the box. It's warm here.

Bump because this just became officially official.

I'm thinking about living in a grad student apartment through MSU. Might be the easiest way to find a place, its been tough being so far away.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
    I figure that $500/month for a place, eating Ramen, and a 1,100/ month salary and I might be looking at some new Bro's (if they aren't sold out by the time I get there and get set up)

Nice stipend there, I was T.A.ing for half that amount at MSU, but had it pretty cush overall. Was able to get in 60+ days a year with no problem. Try to cram it all in on Tues/Thurs classes if you can during the Spring Semester.

You'll find Bridger to be one of the easiest, least harrowing drives to a ski area (even during a storm) that you can find.

I wouldn't live in Grad housing if I were you. It's convenient, but you can find places in near campus/downtown with more character for about what your looking for. I had a friend that lived there and she said there are lots of families with small (i.e. loud) rugrats running around.

Looks like you'll be arriving for a good season, have fun!