Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Vancouver area Mags

Hey everyone, I've been seeing a number of threads in the ski/snowboard forum hijaked by Vancouver mags realizing others are from Vancouver. So, I figured it best to just make a thread of our own. There are a lot of conversations that are dealing with "I'm just getting into the backcountry...", so why doesn't everyone put up a little post saying a little something about themselves, and add a little something about their backcountry experience.

To TGR forum people, is there any way we could add a search field in the members list that allows us to search by location? It would be a nice easy way for people joining the forum to find people from their hometowns.

So anyways, may as well start...

I'm currently at UBC studying 4th year Engineering. I have taken a basic weekend avy course by Canada West Mountain School two years ago, but haven't been able to pony up the cash for all of the required equipment. Since I'll be studying pretty hard this winter semester, I will only be wanting to do weekend trips, and maybe something more substantial during the UBC reading week. I'm currently living in Europe on a co-op exchange work term, and will be returning to Vancouver just before New Years.

Oh, and for all those people who opened this for no real reason... here's some summertime Chamonix eyecandy for you from earlier this year:
    "Who's the chump doing 140kph in the fast lane!!?" - German autobahns kick ass!

Might as well add.
    3rd year UBC student. I have a fair amount of backcountry experience and am always looking for new places to explore. Some hut trips, fissile are the two big ticket items I have on the backcountry checklist for this year. I really like to compete in big mountain comps just never seem to have the time to go to more than one a year. That's why this year my second semester will allow at least 4 days of skiing a week plus pow days and comp days.
    Here's the crew from last year in action...were always looking for more to ski with, have fun with, film, shoot, ride lifts, tour, drive, etc.
    http://ski.the-edg.net/images/ubccrew2005high.mov

phil post

becoming an accounting major

just really want to ski

hey everyone from Vancouver

I'm not really into the backcountry, but have been toying with the idea for a couple weeks.

And with respect to making location a searchable field, good call... The feature is already built into the forum software, mr admin just has to enable it.

I'm a backcountry newbie myself. I did do an RAC last winter though -- too bad there was so little in the way of actual snow.

I live in kits, so I'm sure I regularly bump into you UBC guys without even knowing it.

hi, I'm Amy.

4th year uvic student, I ski approx 3 days a week in Whistler. Yes, you read that correctly. I've taken an RAC course, taking another one at Mt. Cain this winter, have all my gear except trekkers and skins. I love lamp?
    Believe.

Lee Lau

working professional who works as little as possible. Have TMG - too much gear - love big long suffering traverses and piling on vertical. Trying to get my wife into also loving long suffering traverses and piling on vertical and having mixed success - she loves yoyo skiing but not so much into my habit of chute skiing and peakbagging. Semi-experienced backcountry and know enough mountaineering to get myself into serious trouble . Lets go ski!.

Hey Amy Know if Cains got any courses scheduled this winter?

Well I run my school's ski and snowboard club and a buddy of ours who pro patrolled at Sunshine for a number of years is out here and doing it for us, we just found another guy to instruct with him and we're renting some cabins for it. I kind of doubt that Cain organizes one themselves, check thier website and you can get a hold of someone easily enough. Also try Mt. Washington they probably offer it.
    Believe.

Thanks Amy,Washingtons gonna run some but Cain just seems like the place to learn the backcountry..

The CAA has lists of people offering the RAC. Although they only seem to list two on the island:

http://www.avalanche.ca/default.aspx...15,3,Documents

Lee, it sounds like you've reached my ultimate ambition of working as little as possible.

I'm a working professional too; I don't really have a job title though - I guess the closest would be "entreprenuer" (speaking of which: Amy, how's BINC coming along?).

Definite backcountry jong here, been doing the weekend warrior W/B thing for years now but just getting all the gear together for more-than-bootpacking bc access this year. About 2/3 of the way through Tremper's book right now and I'm going to be taking my avy 1 course around mid-december.

I'm definitely into skiing with fellow vancity mags this year.

yeah I have been at UBC doing a masters in hydrology for the last year or so, before that I was at michigan tech getting my bs in environmental engineering.

ski whistler/blackcomb mostly on weekends, or if I can get up during the week. this winter I will have a pretty flexible schedule though, so I should be able to head up during the week more

BC experience: very little. I've read trempers book, listened to some professionals speak on the subject at the CAC thing, will be taking a real course in the next month or so, (I was planning on doing it through Whistler alpine guides) I wanted to do it last year, but the snow never really got going until too late. currently have avy gear, but no touring gear, though that will change soon hopefully.

-Joel

Re RAC courses.

The CWMS and the Whistler Alpine Guides courses are the best around. Some of the best things you can do is to get a bunch of like-minded friends together and do a course because then you all get input into what you want to focus on.;

Don't forget the free CAA online avvy course - link posted to Slide Zone forum

Hi, my name is Dr. Send. I'm a third year arts student/bum at UBC; I also took the RAC with the CWMS two years ago (possibly with IHeartWhistler? Does Chris Lawrence ring a bell?) I enjoy long walks on the beach at sunset, drinking gin and tonics, etc.

edit: Oh, and I tele.

I'm not located in or around Vancouver/Whistler, but I am in BC, and find myself in Van fairly often. I've got a room in Kits but have yet to make a trip to Whistler (prohibitively expensive).

I'm a 4th year student finishing a Manufacturing Design and Technology program

My winter backcountry experience is limited. I've done a 5 day trip in the Gold Bridge/Chilcotin area (Relay Creek) and manage to get out to Wells Grey/Clearwater a couple times each winter, but it's pretty low key stuff. I'm ready to get out there in a big way

RAC this Jan. CAA lev1 avalanche and then Lev.3 Outdoor first-aid and possibly a swiftwater rescue course scheduled for the coming year. Pending where I move for work and other expenses.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Hi, my name is Ricky and i'm a Pisces.
    I love computers and hot tamales.

I'm Sam. 1st year at UBC, lived in Whistler last winter. I have a little bit of b/c experience, and I'm planning on following Atrain around this year and getting a lot more beacon work in. I took a course last year, and I'm brushing up on my skills right now... just doing some reading and stuff. I know just enough to know that I don't know anywhere near enough.

Yo i'm Brad, used to be alpiner, now a full fledged tele bro. This will be my 4th year at ubc, studying global resource systems. originally from wisconsin. I've read the avi material (Tremper and McClung). Took my RAC last year with atrain. I've done little touring, want to do some hut trips (phelix) i've got all my avi gear and recently i had a surprise exam on my avi skills; passed.

Vancouverites, very nice to see.

Vancouver - Baker would be my home mtn. Spend quite alot of my time in the BC either hiking or sledding. Be safe, enjoy the wonderful costal and surrounding ranges.

See you at any ski/board event in and around Van.

jeff

I'll be joining the Vancouver crew in late January. Looks like I have a place lined up in Point Grey so I'll be out near you Kits / UBC guys. Moving from Ontario, have zero backcountry knowledge. Will have avi gear and taking the first possible RAC course once settled. Febuary/March will be spent semi job hunting and chasing storms. Excited for so many new areas to explore.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrubs
    hi, I'm Amy.

4th year uvic student, I ski approx 3 days a week in Whistler. Yes, you read that correctly. I've taken an RAC course, taking another one at Mt. Cain this winter, have all my gear except trekkers and skins. I love lamp?
    How you doing?

I'm a 5th year Engineering student, with 21 years of hardcore Saskatchewan backcountry experience. If all goes as planned, I will be moving out west in about 6 months. If all doesn't go as planned, someone will find me hanging in my closet.
    Yep, seen this before. Crazy liquor & cheeseburger party got out of control.

My name is Snow Dog and I like snow. And dogs. I'm a non-working professional in Langley and usually end up at Baker during the week to go skiing. It's sunny out in the valley today. Life is good.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Nice to see more Vancouver mags coming on board. Strong UBC representation! My name's Rich. I live in Langley and work as an Engineer out in Richmond. Just got my P.Eng recently.

Skiing 30-40 days/year, mostly out at Big White cuz my best bud lives in Kelowna. Been skiing with him since we were young punks terrorizing the coaches on the Manitoba Alpine Ski Team. He just dumped the wife so the partying and slutting resumes this winter. I usually cherrypick about 8-10 WB pow days a year and like hitting Baker midweek if I can.

Aspiring BC jong, starting to pickup some gear, need training. On that note, Shirk please let me know what course you plan to take, wouldn't mind joining you.

Looking forward to making some turns with you all. Will someone please turn the snow machine back on?
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

I'm josh and I'm an alch... wait... wrong forum...

If you want to see where the mags live, check it: http://www.frappr.com/maggots

btw. You Vancouver peeps really need to tighten up your crew... even the Portland mag contigent is bigger... and that's just sad.
    Last edited by joshbu; 11-23-2005 at 12:42 PM.